News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 brake booster / disc swap question

Started by Midnight_Rider, May 25, 2017, 07:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnight_Rider

If a Mopar noob with a 71 B body that had factory manual drums was upgrading to front disc, would this be the correct style booster for the job?:

http://www.manciniracing.com/mbbocokit.html

I've seen the above, and a flatter (single diaphragm?) type.

Also, although I'm not doing a concours type full resto, I'd still like to look close to factory wherever feasable. What finish(es) is/are correct?

Thanks in advance...

303 Mopar

Cass at www.doctordiff.com also has one that may be a little flatter.  You will need a new M/C and enlarge the hole in the firewall to make the booster fit.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Midnight_Rider

Here is the one Dr Diff has on their website:

Looks the same as the Mancini part to me?

Here's the other, flatter style, same as the RockAuto part?

Also, I see them plated:

Just wanting to make sure I get the correct one for the year so everything works right. Looking like the one Randy73 posted is correct for a 71 B body, and the trapezoidal shaped one might be for a 70?

Midnight_Rider

Also, there appears to be a gasket between the master and the booster? (easier to see in the engine bay pic). Assuming this will be needed for correct depth/function.

Pete in NH

HI,

The black booster you have pictured looks like a Bendix unit. My 71 Charger has the thinner,flatter Midland-Ross booster on it that is the factory original part that I just had rebuilt. That is the gold colored unit pictured later in this thread. My car has factory power disc brakes. The gold color zinc dichromate plating is the original factory plating. The Midland-Ross boosters are easy to identify by the clamp band around the front and rear sections. The Rock Auto booster pictured doesn't look right either, at least it does not appear to be a midland-Ross unit.

ACUDANUT

If it works use it !!.  Anything is better than Drums. IMO  :Twocents:

alfaitalia

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 27, 2017, 09:09:57 AM
If it works use it !!.  Anything is better than Drums. IMO  :Twocents:

Lars Ulrich might disagree ! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Midnight_Rider

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: Pete in NH on May 27, 2017, 06:48:06 AM
HI,

The black booster you have pictured looks like a Bendix unit. My 71 Charger has the thinner,flatter Midland-Ross booster on it that is the factory original part that I just had rebuilt. That is the gold colored unit pictured later in this thread. My car has factory power disc brakes. The gold color zinc dichromate plating is the original factory plating. The Midland-Ross boosters are easy to identify by the clamp band around the front and rear sections. The Rock Auto booster pictured doesn't look right either, at least it does not appear to be a midland-Ross unit.

Thanks Pete, that helped fine tune it for me.

Midnight_Rider

Ok, I have a Stage II front conversion kit for my 71 ordered from Dr Diff and I have a quick follow-up question.

This takes us back to the first pic I posted in this thread. Do I need the linkage shown in this pic, if I'm swapping from manual drums to power front disc (regardless of booster type)?

71charger_fan

The Bendix unit was for hemi cars. There was a similar looking Midland-Ross unit for Polara and Monaco and possibly other cars with manual transmissions. There was yet another similar looking booster for A-bodies.