News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wilwood 12.19 kit on 8 3/4 rear, snap ring?

Started by MartinTheHuman, May 25, 2017, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinTheHuman

Question, we're installing a Wilwood 12.19 rear brake kit to an 8 3/4 rear end, and we're trying to figure out what the Wilwood kit is referencing as the snap ring? The kit I received is kind of confusing, it says for non-adjustable bearings with snap rings but it's the kit they sent me when I gave them the rundown of what I had.

Link to the photos below including the stamps on the housing, its a 2881489 30-spline. The rear end is NOT original to the car, it was born with a Dana 60.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150067475@N03/shares/S423Lq

MartinTheHuman

Did more research, realizing that I'm going to need to replace the bearings I have with the snap ring style green bearings which are better for disc brakes...should be no problem with the existing axles I hope.

303 Mopar

I just did this install on the 8 3/4 in my '70 Cuda.  Yes, you need the green bearings (Summit had the cheapest I could find) and it is a good time to replace the seals too.  I had trouble fitting the calipers on the rotors, so be prepared.  Also, I had to cut off the stock e-brake bracket on the frame rail and mount the Wilwood bracket.  Overall, it was a much harder job and took way longer than I was anticipating.   :flame:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

One mopar

I just did this to my axel 8 3/4 make sure u take the thrust pin out with the green bearings got mine from dr. Diff he's a little hard to work with but he's smart as a wip with this axle. I don't remember having a snap ring just 5 bolts at the end of the axle and have to put longer studs in. I'm using the stock drum Cable from the front but had new ends put on in slc Utah look at you tube ( mopar 8 3/4 ) green bearings) if did help I'll go digging in my stuff ps. Callipers go to the rear looking from the driver seat

John_Kunkel

Green Bearing Company makes 2 different styles of Mopar (8 3/4" and Dana) conversion wheel bearings.

1. Old style (RP-400). The bearing retainer is crimped to the outer race. The bearing retainer can break off, allowing the bearing to fall inside the housing end. This style is unforgiving when used in bent housings (most housings are not straight). These are still sold through Mopar Performance.

2. MO-400, ST-400 (Snap-ring style). The outer race has a groove and spiral-lock arrangement that butts up against the outside edge of the brake backing plate. The loose bearing retainer bolts on top of the spiral lock to secure the bearing. New Wilwood kits require this style.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.