News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Elvis/ Speedway

Started by Bad B-rad, May 28, 2017, 01:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

The king drives a 66 Charger, Totally forgot about this movie.

Bad B-rad

Also Nancy Sinatra is in it.
If I remember correctly, at the end Elvis is having trouble in the "Big Race" his car keeps spitting and cutting out(sounds fuel related)so he cant get in to the lead. Well it turns out one of his friends, fell asleep in the rear of the car, and Elvis did n't notice him until he awoke, and popped up from the back with like seven laps to go.
Elvis immediately dumps the guy out of his car, because due to the extra weight of the passenger, that is what cause him to struggle in the race. (and his car to have fuel Issues??)
Once Elvis looses "the dead weight" he has no problem kickin' ass and overtaking everyone and winning the race with only moments to spare.

I have not watched the movie in like 15 years, and even then I barley watched it, but I believe I am about right on my brief description of the movie, minus the many musical and dance breaks, that most nascar guys take while wrenching on their cars.

My Grand Ma was a Huge Elvis fan, and My father and I could never get my Grand pop or her to drive in our 66 Charger. "I like my feet on the ground, thank you very much" my grand pa would say, "No flying for me today".
Well once I told my grand ma that that was the car Elvis drove in that movie,well she couldn't wait to take a ride.
And my father and I kinda let her think we got that model car because it was driven by Elvis in that movie.

ODZKing

Mopars galore in that movie.  I believe he he driving a 67 red Fury convert in the beginning if I am thinking of the correct movie.

J.Bond

:2thumbs:

ODZKing

Quote from: Bad B-rad on May 28, 2017, 01:07:58 PM
The king drives a 66 Charger, Totally forgot about this movie.
BTW not to be picky, it is a 67 Charger ... note the fender tips.

Bad B-rad

I have not watched that movie in over 15 years(my son is 15 and last time I saw the movie was before him) so I may have been, wrong and didn't notice the fender turn signals, but I think they used 66 and 67 Chargers during filming, and I think the cars were built by Cotton Owens Garage.
The movie came out in 68 I think, so they prob are suppose to be 67 model year cars.
I forget where, but one time I read an article about them filming the racing parts, it was at a Nascar track or during a race, I am not sure but I am sure the story is out there.

The movie ends, after Elvis wins the big race, Bill Bixby's character throws a jacket over one shoulder, turns his back to the camera and slowly walks away while a very depressing piano balled plays.

wingcar

Actually, if you look closely at the car Elvis is driving in the pits....it's a street Charger (67) and not a race car.  The race Chargers (both 66 and 67) had the chrome removed from the top of the fenders.  Having said that, if you are a fan of the first generation Charger Speedway is worth checking out.
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Bad B-rad

I have always LOVED the turn signals on the fender or hood on the Chryslers, and at night it is just so cool!!!!!
Having said that I have also always HATED them on 67 Chargers????
Maybe because I had a 66 Charger??(and I love the body style, and interior)
I don't know why, the 67 Charger signal, I just do not like?
Just my taste, I am sure others love it, and hey I can respect that.

I am gonna have to go dust off the VCR

Bad B-rad

Bad B-rad

Found this interview with Elvis about making of the film.

wingcar

I heard of losing your temper and perhaps even your shirt during an interview, but it appears as if poor Elvis lost his arms doing that interview   :D

Bad B-rad

Ha ha ha,  I guess that's why that Speedway logo is just floating in the air, no arms to hold it up.

J.Bond

Had rear spoilers as well.... Note one piece spoiler( 66 )

Bad B-rad

Good eye!!!!!
I think I am gonna def have to watch this again.
I do have a vhs copy but this is not in my regular Mopar/car movie rotation.

Man I miss my 66, it was white with red inteior.

Mike DC

QuoteActually, if you look closely at the car Elvis is driving in the pits....it's a street Charger (67) and not a race car.  The race Chargers (both 66 and 67) had the chrome removed from the top of the fenders.  Having said that, if you are a fan of the first generation Charger Speedway is worth checking out.

It's a common Hollywood trick with auto racing flicks.  Pick out a real-life racecar, and build your hero's racer (just a prop made out of a street car) to look like it.  Then you can use footage of real races without going racing.   

Bad B-rad

Yep, the old, guy out of the camera's view, with a 2X4 on a cinder block, rocking it up and down, while the "Hero" driver turns the  steering wheel like he's milking a cow!
(back and forth to drive straight)

Some times they don't even have a full car, depending on what type of shots they want, I have seen Chargers (from the DOH movie)where 1/2 the roof is cut off and the whole back of the car is gone just so, cameras can fit and get what they want.

Anyway that flick has 66-67 Chargers playing a very major role in the movie/a lot of screen time.
It is no "Vanishing point" or "CMDL" but it is worth checking out if you are into Elvis, or first gen Chargers.

wingcar

Quote from: wingcar on May 31, 2017, 11:15:23 AM
Actually, if you look closely at the car Elvis is driving in the pits....it's a street Charger (67) and not a race car.  The race Chargers (both 66 and 67) had the chrome removed from the top of the fenders.  Having said that, if you are a fan of the first generation Charger Speedway is worth checking out.

I need to modify my previous post somewhat in that some of the Chargers did indeed have the chrome running along the top of their fenders.  Just checkout pictures of various First Generation Chargers running in "Grand National".   However, NASCAR did mandate (allowed) the removal of some chrome, partly to keep the track clear of car parts resulting from contact with fellow racers.  Even door handles disappeared by the beginning of the '70's.......

If you are into the First Generation Charger then "Speedway" needs to be in your collection.....it's not Shakespeare...it's Elvis, so just lower your standards a bit..... :popcrn: