News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

S'bird rear end casting number?

Started by bannedbird, May 19, 2017, 06:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannedbird

I am trying to determine if the rear end on my 29,000 mile 'Bird is original before I sell it (have Dana in it now).  Hoping to clean it up and read casting numbers soon.  I understand that the rear end would not be tagged car specific (i.e. no VIN or other related number).  However, if I can easily find out if it is not correct for the car I can sell it with no regrets.

Broadcast and fender tag call out 052, so should be 8-3/4" with 3.55:1.  Is there supposed to be a metal tag on one of the cover bolts to call out the ratio?  Or would that be paint marks? I am attaching image of the paint marks for reference.

I searched John's EK-2 restoration pix, but the only rear end shot showing the casting numbers I cannot read clearly.  Also, I am assuming that the casting for the rear would have a date/time code as the motor blocks & manifolds do. Need to do some scraping!

Finally, there is a layer of something pealing off the rear around the cover bolts.  Is appears to be metal, but I find that hard to believe.  Would the casting  actually "layer" off as it rusted"? Or could it be a galvanizing or other plating (possibly non-factory)?

Thanks!
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

62 Max

Quote from: bannedbird on May 19, 2017, 06:49:39 PM
I am trying to determine if the rear end on my 29,000 mile 'Bird is original before I sell it (have Dana in it now).  Hoping to clean it up and read casting numbers soon.  I understand that the rear end would not be tagged car specific (i.e. no VIN or other related number).  However, if I can easily find out if it is not correct for the car I can sell it with no regrets.

Broadcast and fender tag call out 052, so should be 8-3/4" with 3.55:1.  Is there supposed to be a metal tag on one of the cover bolts to call out the ratio?  Or would that be paint marks? I am attaching image of the paint marks for reference.

I searched John's EK-2 restoration pix, but the only rear end shot showing the casting numbers I cannot read clearly.  Also, I am assuming that the casting for the rear would have a date/time code as the motor blocks & manifolds do. Need to do some scraping!

Finally, there is a layer of something pealing off the rear around the cover bolts.  Is appears to be metal, but I find that hard to believe.  Would the casting  actually "layer" off as it rusted"? Or could it be a galvanizing or other plating (possibly non-factory)?

Thanks!

It would have had one tag for the axle ratio and if sure grip wuold have had a tag for sure grip fluid.

Arnie Cunningham

Also, look for a stamping of the date on the ring gear.  There will be stamping on the axle tube but they are often so poorly stamped or corroded or scuffed that they are illegible.  best bet is found on the internals.

Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.