News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger garage barn find today amazing time capsule

Started by moparstuart, June 03, 2017, 04:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on June 23, 2017, 10:34:21 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on June 22, 2017, 09:55:35 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 22, 2017, 09:19:32 PM
Cool, but wrong County.  :nana:
with year of make plates you dont have to use the correct county  , any car plate works as long as its not in uses

Nice. :2thumbs:

Someone told me that they did away with being able to register classics with the old plates in Kansas.  I hope that they are wrong....

I have two complete sets of my hometown county in Kansas from 1963 to 1974, almost all of them are mint, as well as some back into the 1920s.  Meguires cleaner/wax works wonders for bringing back the paint on them.  Farmers can be good sources of vintage plates, as some of them tend to hoard them in their barns.  One local had 200+ unissued ones from 1972-1975 that were still in the original envelops.  Seems that he ended up with them after purchasing the farm and he ran across them while cleaning a loft.  I only bought a few that I needed before passing the information on to another plate collector who bought them all in one lot....
that 1970 plate above was just register in the last few months  , year of make plates are alive and well in kansas
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: moparstuart on June 23, 2017, 01:03:41 PM
Quote from: Chad L. Magee on June 23, 2017, 10:34:21 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on June 22, 2017, 09:55:35 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 22, 2017, 09:19:32 PM
Cool, but wrong County.  :nana:
with year of make plates you dont have to use the correct county  , any car plate works as long as its not in uses

Nice. :2thumbs:

Someone told me that they did away with being able to register classics with the old plates in Kansas.  I hope that they are wrong....

I have two complete sets of my hometown county in Kansas from 1963 to 1974, almost all of them are mint, as well as some back into the 1920s.  Meguires cleaner/wax works wonders for bringing back the paint on them.  Farmers can be good sources of vintage plates, as some of them tend to hoard them in their barns.  One local had 200+ unissued ones from 1972-1975 that were still in the original envelops.  Seems that he ended up with them after purchasing the farm and he ran across them while cleaning a loft.  I only bought a few that I needed before passing the information on to another plate collector who bought them all in one lot....
that 1970 plate above was just register in the last few months  , year of make plates are alive and well in kansas

Thanks, that is good to know.  I do not trust what I hear from many of the locals in my hometown about car stuff.  They tend to be wrong more than right on these things....

Oh, I did get lucky to find two nice 1941 Kansas plates, a 1944 Kansas motorcycle tag,  a 1941 Nebraska (with a 42 add on tag) and a 1942 Colorado plate for the WWII era.  Many of those plates just did not survive the scrap drives....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

moparstuart

alfaitalia

Love the Mustang vanishing in the rear view mirror!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

ACUDANUT

Stu, I bet I could find one with a "JO" if you want.
Only If I can see a pic under the trunk mat LOL.  :nana:

moparstuart

moparstuart

Very Special thanks to Wingman  My buddy Jay R  who sent me the one part my car was missing
and its old so it wouldnt stick out like a sore thumb if i had to buy a new shinny one  

ACUDANUT

Stu, I have your JO plate. The guy who owns it only wants a swap. Let me know if you want to pursue this.

moparstuart

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 01, 2017, 10:40:16 AM
Stu, I have your JO plate. The guy who owns it only wants a swap. Let me know if you want to pursue this.
it would have to have cool numbers on it

figgy308

Hi Stu,

Like many enthusiasts on this site I think that it is fantastic that a genuine Mopar guy caught a break on a great car. It could so easily have gone to someone who didn't care. Well done on chasing some of the history too, I really enjoyed that. I wish I could find out more about mine, perhaps one day. One thing though, 5/25/68 is my birthday....just saying. Enjoy that great car.

moparstuart

Quote from: figgy308 on July 05, 2017, 12:21:48 AM
Hi Stu,

Like many enthusiasts on this site I think that it is fantastic that a genuine Mopar guy caught a break on a great car. It could so easily have gone to someone who didn't care. Well done on chasing some of the history too, I really enjoyed that. I wish I could find out more about mine, perhaps one day. One thing though, 5/25/68 is my birthday....just saying. Enjoy that great car.
:2thumbs:   68    :2thumbs:

marshallfry01

1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

moparstuart

Quote from: marshallfry01 on July 05, 2017, 04:57:05 PM
Have you heard it run yet?  :scratchchin:
no been broke from trying to get it paid off  , working my ass off to pay bill i was behind on already and pay for this 

I have purchase stuff to oil down the cylinders but have not had time to make it happen ,  then i have to purchase plugs  , oil change stuff/ fluids  and battery

moparstuart

Did get the plugs out today and all the cylinders full of marvel Mystery

moparstuart

moparstuart

moparstuart

going to let it soak for a week   

moparstuart

:drool5: :drool5: popped off the master lid  no rust or crust or moisture  ,  but looks like the rear wheel cylinders or rubber line is leaking 

moparstuart

moparstuart

factory markings

cdr

Quote from: moparstuart on July 08, 2017, 09:50:08 PM
:drool5: :drool5: popped off the master lid  no rust or crust or moisture  ,  but looks like the rear wheel cylinders or rubber line is leaking 

the rear reservoir goes to the front brakes.

love your car !!!!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

moparstuart

Changed all the fluids  got a battery  , primed the engine and after 8 or more years of setting with out running we are going to try and start her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPAI1SkU12c

moparstuart

unhooked the fuel line and starter her on fresh gas straight down the carb  ,   started right up lifters were slow to pump up but we got fuel out of the tank right away and it wasnt horrid  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfv1llJW5PE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJUCdhYk1Og

moparstuart

noisey Lifters took a while to pump up , didnt show any oil pressure at first but it was just the sender wasnt getting power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPIAsa1hVx0

moparstuart

She Quieted down , oil pressure came up to 50 pounds head lamp doors work and still hold vacuum  and a goat ran off with our box  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i-aqZoV7gs