News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bodyshops

Started by rm1063, June 05, 2017, 02:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rm1063

I am looking for a shop to replace some sheetmetal on my 1970 b body in the houston texas area at a reasonable price-does anybody have any recommendations?
Thanks

1974dodgecharger

do it yourself....if you fail try again....if you take it to the bodyshop they will quote you a price and time say 6 weeks, but then it turns to 6 months that 6 months turns into triple the financial quote then it becomes a year then eventually they go out of business taking your car.....

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on June 05, 2017, 09:45:29 PM
do it yourself....if you fail try again....if you take it to the bodyshop they will quote you a price and time say 6 weeks, but then it turns to 6 months that 6 months turns into triple the financial quote then it becomes a year then eventually they go out of business taking your car.....

Agreed, sad but true in this day and age, and if the shop doesn't go out of business, your car might "lose" parts, or incur other damage they claim was already missing/there, or you drive by to find it pushed outside in the rain, stripped to raw steel, rusting where it never had rust before

Mike DC

:Twocents:

Make some kind of deal to see pics and do a regular pay-as-you-go schedule.  Like every 2 weeks.  Every month at the longest.  They show you some new work, and you pay them up front for the next month.  It's the safest way to avoid the car ending up in "paint jail".  

If the shop owner is reluctant to do this kind of deal then he may think you won't be able to come up with the money.  Assure him that you will be paying *UP FRONT* for each period, and if you ever cannot pay for the next period then you will promptly get your P.O.S. off his lot.  It may help to flash a wad of cash (at least several thousand) just to prove you aren't too broke to pay for the job in general.  Explain that you aren't lacking in money, you just lack the trust in an unknown shop.  

If the shop owner won't do it this kind of deal then move on.  He may still be a legit guy but he's not the right match for you.  The pay-as-you-go setup is a reasonable demand for you to make.    

Old Moparz

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 05, 2017, 11:04:38 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on June 05, 2017, 09:45:29 PM

Agreed, sad but true in this day and age, and if the shop doesn't go out of business, your car might "lose" parts, or incur other damage they claim was already missing/there, or you drive by to find it pushed outside in the rain, stripped to raw steel, rusting where it never had rust before

Yes, you need to be cautious. I know three people right here in Orange County, NY that this EXACT scenario has happened to, & done by a so called "Mopar Restoration Shop" that is well known by locals for being dirtbags. They once "lost" an entire parts car that the customer brought to them.  :eyes:

There are several members on here in Texas that may be able to help & give you the name of a reputable shop.....Good luck.   :cheers:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Todd Wilson

You need to find a shop that does work/restoration on old vehicles.   Most body shops now wont even take your old classic in for repairs or fixing.  They only do repair on new modern cars via insurance.. They are paid X amount of hours for a repair and the body men in the shop are good at what they do and get paid 10 hours work and complete it in 7 hours.

Todd

Kern Dog

You could stalk out the workers at a reputable shop and approach them after they get off of work. Be friendly and see if they do side work from home.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 06, 2017, 11:35:06 PM
You could stalk out the workers at a reputable shop and approach them after they get off of work. Be friendly and see if they do side work from home.

You'd be surprised how often that gets a worker fired if his boss finds out...DAMHIK

rm1063

Thanks everyone I believe I have found what I am looking for

RCCDrew

Try Advanced Collision and Restoration in Huffman. They are Mopar people, and do some nice work, although I have never used them.

Kern Dog

Quote from: rm1063 on June 12, 2017, 01:54:20 PM
Thanks everyone I believe I have found what I am looking for
You are doing better than the band "U2".
They still haven't found what they are looking for, oh so I have heard.

rm1063