News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anybody know about old vending machines

Started by r4daytona, June 05, 2017, 03:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

I just traded a guy and got a late 70's to 1980 pepsi machine.  It's in great shape because it was inside a restaurant.  I put coins in and they just come out the change compartment.  I also have a couple other questions.  If someone could call that would be great. (716)549-1756  I live on the east coast and am usually in bed by 10pm east coast time.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: r4daytona on June 05, 2017, 03:51:48 PM
I put coins in and they just come out the change compartment.
Did you plug it in first?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Alaskan_TA

Did you fill it with product? If it is empty, instant refund.

r4daytona

Very funny on the plug it in !!   I did put cans in three of the 6 choices and the "empty selection" light did go out but the coins still fall thru.

PlainfieldCharger

I would look at the coin mech to see if there is a solenoid that should engage which causes the coins NOT to fall though the mech to the coin return....If you can post a pic of the assembly....

John_Kunkel

Perhaps somebody de-activated the coin mechanism; pretty common on juke boxes and vending machines intended for home use.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bakerhillpins

I've been collecting and restoring coin operated video and pinball games since the 80s. Coin mechs are pretty simple devices. You should be able to open up the unit and watch/debug the coin dropping through the unit. Might be more useful to pull the Mfg's model # off the data tag and do a search using it and something simple like "not working". You'll get lots of hits and can use them to debug it.

Since the coin is being rejected you may have a lockout problem (solenoid actuated) which typically was used to reject coins when power was off or it is empty, among other things.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

r4daytona

Here's two pics.  I looked at the data tag on the side and for some reason, there is nothing printed in the serial number or model number.  It's just a blank tag/sticker with the name of Mars Money systems.  I'd also like to know what those 6 reset buttons are for and how or why they are used.  When we push the bottom one in the worm gears on the right side turn and I hear a clicking???

Ponch ®

I know that the POS vending machine at my work stole my dollar. No Famous Amous cookies for me today. :rotz:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Ponch ® on June 14, 2017, 10:33:46 AM
I know that the POS vending machine at my work stole my dollar. No Famous Amous cookies for me today. :rotz:
It's trying to help you stay on your diet. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ponch ®

Quote from: Charger_Fan on June 14, 2017, 11:34:07 AM
Quote from: Ponch ® on June 14, 2017, 10:33:46 AM
It's trying to help you stay on your diet. ;D

That's some "Black Mirror" shit...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bakerhillpins

Quote from: r4daytona on June 14, 2017, 10:31:16 AM
Here's two pics.  I looked at the data tag on the side and for some reason, there is nothing printed in the serial number or model number.  It's just a blank tag/sticker with the name of Mars Money systems.  I'd also like to know what those 6 reset buttons are for and how or why they are used.  When we push the bottom one in the worm gears on the right side turn and I hear a clicking???

Post a pic of the data tag anyway.  The other route is to get the model # info off of the Coin mech itself and research that. They are not specific to any given make/model. There is also a giant wiring diagram stuck to the inside behind the coin mech.  That might have the Mfg/Model # on it too.

Never mind... 5 minutes on google images using "pepsi machine" and I got a match...
Looks like it's a Choice-Vend cvb-181 from Windsor Locks CT.
http://soda-machines.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=352&Itemid=14
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-pepsi-machine-/152575418999

And some follow on searches with "choice-vend coins just falling through" yielded a few general diagnosing posts like this:
https://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/2706-why-is-my-soda-machine-popping-out-quarters-through-the-coin-return-and-not-vending/
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

r4daytona

THANK YOU !  I have looked all over my machine and have not found any tags like the one in the link.  As I mentioned, even the tag on the side of the coin Mech doesn't have anything.  All there is is a small " choice vend" emblem near the bottom right side.  I tell you, my is near perfect compared to that one on ebay.  I may have a guy coming out today or tomorrow to look at it.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: r4daytona on June 15, 2017, 08:47:57 AM
THANK YOU !  I have looked all over my machine and have not found any tags like the one in the link.  As I mentioned, even the tag on the side of the coin Mech doesn't have anything.  All there is is a small " choice vend" emblem near the bottom right side.  I tell you, my is near perfect compared to that one on ebay.  I may have a guy coming out today or tomorrow to look at it.

:2thumbs:  and in case you fill it with proper beverages   :cheers:

Let us know what you find out.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

cooldude

That one looks to have the guard at the bottom where the cans came out. That was put into place because, back in the mid 70s, boys found out that they could reach thier arms up inside there and pull out a can without paying for it.  :rotz:

There was a danger though. If one got thier hands up the wrong passage way, it led to the spinning fan. No more fingers!  :o

I think different types of machines were what the difference was in that.

So, I guess it was in the late 70s that the guards were put on the new machines. But mischievious boys would scour the countryside, looking for the places that still had the old style machines without the guards.

At least I think thats about the right time line. Here in the South, we tended to be a tad behind the rest of the country in getting modern about things.

I distinctly remember going to the store in 1978, and after bumming a quarter from my grandparents for a soda, finding out that a soda pop no longer cost a quarter from a vending machine, but was now 35 cents! What a rip off! Inflation was really out of control in the late 1970s. Even kids felt it.

I didnt know what inflation was back then, but I did know that it sucked!