News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 383 stock Holley carb question

Started by Bad B-rad, April 26, 2017, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

For a 1969 383 4 bbl A/C car my stock carb was a Holley 4160 I think 570cfm.
For an almost bone stock org, 1969 383 engine(except headers and Mopar aluminum 4bbl duel plane intake vs the 4bbl cast Iron unit,and electronic distributor) Should I stick with a stock rebuild unit, or can I gain some power and drivability by maybe switching to a Holley 4160 from a 440 engine?
I was just thinking that 570cfm may be a tad small, I would think 625 or 650 would be perfect. My last 383 I ran an aftermarket Holley 750cfm and car ran great, but I am kinda going with a more stock look with this engine, and the only reason I am using headers is because they are already on the car. Thanks for advice.

Bronzedodge

The factory original Holley carbs are 600 cfm.  There is a gasket that you must have that is not in the standard kit, and that is Holley # 108-28-2.  Be careful if you elect to rebuild your stock carb - over tightening the bolts can lead to warping of the main body, metering block or fuel bowls.   :Twocents:

Yes, with headers a 650 or 700 may be a better option.
Mopar forever!

Bad B-rad

Of all places AutoZone has this carb ready to go for like $250.(I will keep mine for future use because of the date code)
How large was the same model Holley that was on the 440?
Is that the one I should use vs the 383 one?
Man in the past I would just slap on an Eldelbrock, I like the AVS that tune with a screw driver, But this building the engine to look stock (but still trying to get every pony out that I can),so anyway should I grab the Holley for the 440 or just put the stock 383 one on and stop being a bitch. Thanks

c00nhunterjoe

There is alot more to avs style carbs then the 2 mixture screws....

Bad B-rad

I meant I like the way you can adjust when the vacuum secondaires  kick in by adjusting a screw ,vs springs and rubber diaphragms.
Not the fuel air/ratio and idle screws.

c00nhunterjoe

Holleys have so much more adjustability to them. People get overwhelmed and think they are so complex. If you take a deep breath, step back, and look at how they actually work, you will see that its nothing more then a controled fuel leak and you are adjusting when, where, and how much it happens.

Bad B-rad

I have always liked Holley carbs very much, Most of the ones I have run on my cars were the 4160 with the metering plate.
On my 66 Charger when I put in a built 440 I got an edelbrock Thunder series AVS I think it was a 880cfm, I can't remember, But I really liked how ez you can adjust when the 2nd's open.

As far as stock for my 69 383 it had a Holley,that I am 98% sure that's what I am gonna use, I just was wondering if maybe a 440's Holley would give me any more power then the 383's. Or at least enough power to make it worth while.

Why did Chrysler switch from Carter, to Holley, and then back to Carter?(in 68-70, big blocks,with 4bbls )

Bad B-rad

Will one of those jet kits that they sell, a plastic box with a bunch of assorted jets, for Holleys, work in all of the Holley carbs?(like my stock 1969 one)
And maybe a spring kit for the 2ndaries.
I will have to get it running first, but would be nice to be prepared to get the carb tuned up best as I can, and have the parts on hand.

Bronzedodge

Years ago just after I bought my Charger I spoke to Holley Tech about it.  I also started collecting Mopar factory Holleys.  All the factory list numbers are 600 cfm.  Most are C body low po carbs.

Quote from: Bad B-rad on April 29, 2017, 10:09:45 PM

Why did Chrysler switch from Carter, to Holley, and then back to Carter?(in 68-70, big blocks,with 4bbls )

What I found was that the A/C cars came with a Holley, non A/C got Carters.
Mopar forever!

Bad B-rad

Thanks for the info, that is funny cause I noticed that about A/C cars.(having Holley)
And if what you say is true(all Chrysler Holley 4bbls are 600cfm) then going to a 440 Holley will not offer any better flow then my 383 carb.
I have one of the Chrysler corporation part & casting numbers book  from the late 90's and it had a note that the 69 Holley on a 383 A/C Charger was 570cfm, or something like that, but did not have a rating for a 440,Except the 6-pack carbs.

I wonder what about having A/C on the engine made them switch brand of carb? Maybe the additional load on the engine at idle or stop light with the compressor running,is something the Holley could deal with better then the Carter?(maybe less of a change in idle rpm under load and free of load of A/C compressor?) I am guess guessing, but there must be some actual reason that was done.

c00nhunterjoe

Once the stock air cleaner goes on it, noone will see whats under it.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Bad B-rad on April 30, 2017, 01:16:32 PM
I have one of the Chrysler corporation part & casting numbers book  from the late 90's and it had a note that the 69 Holley on a 383 A/C Charger was 570cfm, or something like that, but did not have a rating for a 440,Except the 6-pack carbs.

The truth is, there is no official CFM rating for OEM Holleys in single applications; all quoted numbers are just spitballing. I believe the lower numbers are more credible.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Scaregrabber

I'm pretty sure the 440 Holleys flow the same as the 383 Holleys. Chrysler didn't use the Holley 4bbl  on any performance 440's.