News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No grease on 8-3/4 axle bearings. They're lubed by the gear oil. WTF?

Started by 375instroke, June 06, 2017, 01:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

Someone on a facebook page asked about what type of grease to use on their bearings.  I posted pics from the FSM where it says to grease them, and it explains what the inner and outer seals do, and there are dozens of people saying they are lubed by the gear oil, if you use grease, it'll just fly out, they're ASE mechanics, working at Chrysler dealerships for decades, on and on.  Are these people just trying to sabotage someone new?  There's like 100 posts, with half saying grease, and half saying no grease, the gear oil lubes them.  This just blows my mind.

John_Kunkel

That's what happens when "mechanics" who were weaned on GM's have a voice. Lots of Mopar parts have been ruined by folks using knowledge derived from other makes.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Bad B-rad

they wanted you to grease axle bearings in an 8 3/4, &  you are suppose to just pump grease in it, till it comes out the fill plug on the side of the rear.
LOL, that would be some funny $hit!!!! (and 25 tubes of grease)
And I bet those wrong guys will fight to the death defending why that's how it is done!!!

People get so mad, and swear they are right, no way they could be wrong or mistaken. I make mistakes all the time(ask my wife) and I am sure I will be wrong on something, I am only human, and we do make errors. it is ok.

Some guys just will not admit it, no matter what,or how much evidence!

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 06, 2017, 02:40:52 PM
If they wanted you to grease axle bearings in an 8 3/4, they would have put grease fittings in there, or... are you are suppose to just pump grease in it, till it comes out the fill plug on the side of the rear.
LOL, that would be some funny $hit!!!! (and 25 tubes of grease)
And I bet those wrong guys will fight to the death defending why that's how it is done!!!

The bearing is packed by hand, pressed on the shaft then the lock collar installed. There is a grease seal just inside the axle tube end to keep the gear oil from getting to the bearing and leaking out. Not a serviceable item without pulling the axle shaft. There should be no fighting involved, the FSM shows how it's supposed to be done.  :Twocents:

birdsandbees

WHAT>.. you're supposed to put grease in a roller bearing....  :slap:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

alfaitalia

Yep...any axle bearings like that must be packed with grease during assembly...same as my solid axle Grand Cherokee. It's true that they are lubed by splash from the dif oil but they are not submerged in it...oil does not pour out of the axles even if you remove the half shafts on the level. If you did not grease them they would run dry until the first corner taken fast enough to push the oil to the ends of the tubes.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

birdsandbees

Sorry Alf, but the oil isn't getting there while cornering either unless your inner axle seal is pooched!  :rotz:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

alfaitalia

Quote from: birdsandbees on June 06, 2017, 04:59:40 PM
Sorry Alf, but the oil isn't getting there while cornering either unless you're inner axle seal is pooched!  :rotz:

Yeah you are right...I realised as I posted it!.....it's late here and I was more thinking of my Jeep axles where the seal is on the outside of the bearing...they DO get lubed by the dif oil but you still must use grease on the Jeep Dana 44a axle bearings. And you certainly do on the Charger.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Bad B-rad

I have been using the "Green" axle bearing for years,(needed on my rear disc kit,)I thought most people were running them.
They used to be all the rage. I do not recall an inner seal at all, just the one on the axle flange?

Kern Dog

The "Green" type are sealed units. All 8 3/4"axles need the inner oil seal.

cdr

the factory dana 60 in the cars has the same axle bearings as the 83/4
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

John_Kunkel

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on June 06, 2017, 03:13:55 PM
The bearing is packed by hand, pressed on the shaft then the lock collar installed. There is a grease seal just inside the axle tube end to keep the gear oil from getting to the bearing and leaking out. Not a serviceable item without pulling the axle shaft.

The bearing can be re-lubed in position by using a needle tip attachment on the grease gun.

Bronzedodge

Speaking of axle bearings, My buddy's Dart Sport seems to have repeated trouble with the outer seal on his 8 3/4.  I suspect he is over-packing them.  Anyone have advice or similar trouble?  Bent axle?
Mopar forever!

A383Wing

I have often thought about putting a zerk fitting back there on the differential housing to put some grease back in the tapered bearing after a period of time.....would save time & trouble of pulling the axles, repacking, and then setting up the axle sideplay again

375instroke

Quote from: Bronzedodge on June 08, 2017, 04:25:23 PM
Speaking of axle bearings, My buddy's Dart Sport seems to have repeated trouble with the outer seal on his 8 3/4.  I suspect he is over-packing them.  Anyone have advice or similar trouble?  Bent axle?

Is any gear oil getting past the inner seal?

Bronzedodge

I looked at them and it didn't seem like it, just grease coming out into the brake area.  I thought he put in too much maybe.
Mopar forever!

John_Kunkel

Quote from: A383Wing on June 08, 2017, 07:04:54 PM
I have often thought about putting a zerk fitting back there on the differential housing to put some grease back in the tapered bearing after a period of time.....would save time & trouble of pulling the axles, repacking, and then setting up the axle sideplay again

Some makes had them but discontinued them because some folks were lubing them at each chassis lube. Too much is as bad as too little.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 06, 2017, 06:44:42 PM
The "Green" type are sealed units. All 8 3/4"axles need the inner oil seal.

8 3/4 and Dana 60 have inner oil seals....   and need to be in there!   Green bearings need the inner seal also!    Been there done that changed out bad ones  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.