News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's It Worth? 1969 Charger R/T SE

Started by 69bronzeT5, June 07, 2017, 11:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Hey all-
Would like some opinions on the value of a good friend's car. It's a real deal 1969 R/T SE. No engine or transmission. Was originally a 440-4bbl, automatic column shift car. He knows where the numbers matching 440 is and is trying to get it back. It came from the factory in Y2 Yellow with tan interior. Black R/T stripe and no vinyl top.

I believe was sold brand new in B.C around Kelowna or Penticton and has been in B.C its entire life. The second owner bought it used from a Datsun dealership in Cranbrook around 1970 and then wrecked it shortly after. It was sent to a junkyard in Cranbrook until the early 1990's when his friend purchased it. He bought it off of him in August 2014 and started a full restoration on it. A lot of the hard stuff has been done but it still has quite a ways to go at this very moment. It's been put on a frame machine and has been made sure that it's 100% straight. My friend is a welder by trade so he replaced the entire front clip (frame rails, inner fenders, cowl, firewall etc.) with a rust free unit from a 1969 Coronet. It was blasted before the install. The car itself is pretty low for rust. Rear frame rails and most of the actual remaining original metal are nice. Driver side quarter panel can be re-used in my opinion.

It comes with brand new AMD front fenders. It also comes with two mint doors, good condition hood, all glass except for the windshield, full power window set up (minus the wiring harness), manual window set up (if you want to go that route), good condition grille, front bucket seat cores and the back seat. It also has most if not all of the chrome trim, bumpers with bumper guards, grille support, two dashes (original was damaged), gauge cluster, tail lights, turn indicators, tail light cover, steering column, K-member and front suspension, 8 ¾ rear end with 489 ring and pinion/ 3:23 gears and the original power brake booster. I'm sure I'm missing some of the parts that are included.

The Charger still retains its original VIN number. The fender tag and build sheet are long gone. It has a clean B.C registration.

I was wondering the value as it sits? He is kind of at a crossroads right now. He has slightly lost interest in the build and was trying to sell it to clear up some garage space and funds to buy something he wants more however got tired of typical Craigslist flakes and low ballers. He is now planning on finishing the panel repair/replacement and then blasting it and priming it so it will be a roller with all the metal work done ready for finishing body work and paint when he lists it for sale again. He would be installing brand new AMD parts such as a passenger quarter and rocker, trunk floor, tail panel, rear valance, lower drivers quarter etc. Was wondering the approximate value of it in THAT state? He is having a hard time trying to find comparables. Also, would it hurt or better the value by installing a 4 speed hump?

I'm including pictures of it in it's current state as it sits right now.

Thanks!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

69bronzeT5

More....

69bronzeT5

Last two....

F8-4life

Imo, low side would be around $7000-8500, High side could be maybe 10-12k if a guy really needs it or it finds an overseas buyer.
Everyone wants a '69 RT of course. But no tag hurts even more on an original RT car..and also having the metal work half done probably cuts your potential buyers in half also, & therefore cutting the demand of the car down considerably.

Fitz73Chrgr

I'd say $4-5k US.  That state of disassembly is a serious detriment to value.  It's also missing a ton of little things.  If everything you mentioned was welded/bolted to the car, $7000 max.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

70 sublime

I was thinking around the $10 000 mark Canadian for the way it sits if everything done so far was done right and all the rest of the bits came with it

4 spd hump would be nice but not worth it unless you have all the stuff to put a 4 spd in the car
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

lukedukem

Cody, I think everyone is giving you prices based on the pics, but you are asking for a price if he completes the metal work and sells as a roller, correct?
Without the engine, or included?

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

69bronzeT5

Quote from: lukedukem on June 08, 2017, 06:49:19 AM
Cody, I think everyone is giving you prices based on the pics, but you are asking for a price if he completes the metal work and sells as a roller, correct?
Without the engine, or included?

Luke

Hey Luke,
I'm looking for a value as-is based on the pictures and then an approximate value once the metal work is complete and it's a roller. No engine.

Dreamcar

By looking at those pics, and having torn my own car down even beyond that, IMHO it's safe to say that there's still hidden rust areas on that car that I would want to get to before doing anything...this means removing more panels, blasting, then rebuilding (i.e. a lot more work). I wouldn't just start tacking on new panels as it sits.

Because of this, the right buyer/builder who want to tackle that much work (and spend that much money) would have to be found. Someone looking to rebuild and original car will likely look away because the original the engine, tag, and trans are gone.

This does make a great platform for a big block "restomod", and there are buyers looking for that. Charger bodies/shells with a clean title, especially in Canada, are not just popping up everywhere.

I'd say 10k CDN max. The fact it's an RT brings the price up, but no original engine block or tag brings it down. Again, this is just my opinion.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Dreamcar

...I'll add that the the cost of doing the metal work (properly as per my last post) in order to end up with a complete roller will not be recovered in the selling price. I'd say 5k CDN to get all the rust out and rebuild if doing it yourself, and it may get you 2-3k extra when selling.  
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Lennard

This car was almost the same as my 69 when it was new except that mine came with a vinyl top.

charger_fan_4ever

a quick stroll across kijiji there are a few 68-70 r/t's turn key 60-80k cdn, with rusty 318 cars at 10-15l with holes in the body the size of your fist all over. Up here in canada we dont have the supply the us does. Plays into the price. Also buying in the US pretty tough with 35% loss on the dollar. That being said an r/t with all metal work done as a roller in primer with an interior $20-25k cdn.

I started my 70 r/t rusty hulk and redid it all with amd metal and rust free parts. You cant buy a rusty r/t and build it rust free the right way for 20k(ask me how i know lol) and i had a really good deal on labour. You also wont find a rust free original r/t car for 20k as a roller either.

:Twocents:

darbgnik

Maybe a little off topic, but 69's have the VIN on the gutter and rad support, right? Isn't there a place that will reproduce the VIN with proof you own the car? Or do you need a title and build sheet as well?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Challenger340

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong ?
But,
without the Fender Tag or B-Sheet ? I don't believe anyone could tell if you converted it from Column/Auto to a 4 speed with hump ? Nor would it be verifiable as an "SE" optioned R/T.
just say'in....
From dash VIN alone, it is a 1969 Charger R/T, of unknown or UN-verifiable original option configuration.

* Body done as mentioned....
* Good and/or most re-assembly parts there....
* No Engine or Trans
IMO,
$15K Canadian.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Dreamcar

Quote from: Challenger340 on June 08, 2017, 06:08:57 PM
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong ?
But,
without the Fender Tag or B-Sheet ? I don't believe anyone could tell if you converted it from Column/Auto to a 4 speed with hump ? Nor would it be verifiable as an "SE" optioned R/T.
just say'in....
From dash VIN alone, it is a 1969 Charger R/T, of unknown or UN-verifiable original option configuration.

* Body done as mentioned....
* Good and/or most re-assembly parts there....
* No Engine or Trans
IMO,
$15K Canadian.

That's what I thought too without the tag or build sheet.I would've never known what mine had for options without the tag.

hemi-hampton

70 sublime

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on June 09, 2017, 08:37:37 AM
couple comparable 68 no badge cars

$12500
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-voiture-collection/laval-rive-nord/charger-1968-383-dorigine-avec-papiers/1270420585?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$16k

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-voiture-collection/longueuil-rive-sud/1968-dodge-charger-xtreme-resto-project-edition-complete-car/1256697487?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Do not think you can count that french one

I have the original ad saved when it was for sale in Ontario about 3 weeks ago and he was only asking $5500 for it because all the frame was rotten so now a flipper has bought it and thinks it is worth $12500  :rofl: :rofl:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

alfaitalia

......and if someone pays that for it (and they might well do) then he would be right!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

69bronzeT5

Hey all-

We don't usually see an outcome of these often. My buddy ended up blasting the car, bolting the metal he had on it and sold it as-is for $11,500 Canadian this past summer with no title.

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on November 16, 2017, 02:27:07 AM
Wow.  I'd say he did pretty well.

$11,500.00 Canadian comes out to be $8,970 in real money.

Fitz73Chrgr

Resto thread: