News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Handguns

Started by Bobs69, June 08, 2017, 09:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

The last thread got locked but I have to ask.  Mainly because it's easier then looking it up and I'm only casually interested.

What is involved in obtaining a Carry and Conceal permit in the States? 

Does it differ from State to State?

Is there a shooting proficiency test with a minimum standard you must reach?

Do you have to requalify periodically?

stripedelete

It does differ from state to state.   I think in Mississippi and West Virginia, no permit is required.  In Georgia you are required to fog a mirror and have $80.   In Ohio you have to complete the a CCW training / education class.  Which is basically the NRA begginer safety class.  There is also a shooting proficiency test.   Ten rounds on a paper plate at 20(?) feet.

As far as renewal, in Ohio, yes.   Just give them money.

Bobs69

Quote from: stripedelete on June 09, 2017, 12:53:18 AM
It does differ from state to state.   I think in Mississippi and West Virginia, no permit is required.  In Georgia you are required to fog a mirror and have $80.   In Ohio you have to complete the a CCW training / education class.  Which is basically the NRA begginer safety class.  There is also a shooting proficiency test.   Ten rounds on a paper plate at 20(?) feet.

So it's as scary as I expected.  A lot of people with no real ability or training carrying guns.  Then throw in a life threatening situation with a dirty background. 

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Bobs69 on June 09, 2017, 04:02:21 AM
So it's as scary as I expected.  A lot of people with no real ability or training carrying guns.  Then throw in a life threatening situation with a dirty background. 

:dancinglock:

Some friendly advice...  spend the time looking it up online.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Bobs69

Why would I do that when there is a wealth on knowledge right here.

alfaitalia

Save your breath mate...I might agree  (and the fact that the USA (with guns) has 10.54 gun deaths per 1000 citizens per years compared to the UKs 0.23 per 1000 (that's nearly 46 times as high) but why let the facts get in the way of hand gun justification) but this is verging on Political again and this thread will be locked like the last one. They have guns....and IMO, rightly or wrongly, always will. See Forum Rules. Give it up!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

TheGhost

Here in Nebraska, you're required to take a class that lasts most of the day.  If you pass, you are issued a permit.  Unless you are a military veteran, in which case you can skip the class.  I much prefer this to some other states, where you basically just have to sign a paper.

If you ask me, firearm safety should be a required class in school.

As far as I know, there isn't a shooting proficiency test so much as a safe handling test.  It's entirely up to the discretion of the class instructor.  You could be the best shot in the world, but if the instructor doesn't feel you can safely handle a firearm, you won't pass.

I don't believe you ever have to requalify.  It's like a driver's license.  Once you've passed the initial tests, you're good for life, or until you've proven yourself unqualified.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Bob

Pennsylvania-Open Carry no permit required-Conceal, must pass background check. $20.00 for 5 years.

Laowho

My father felt instrumental in trying to push through new concealed carry legislation in IL just before he died. The efforts went hand-in-hand w/ the porta-pottie he got for his survivalist back yard.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

BLK 68 R/T

A person should not need a permit in my mind. But in the left coast state of WA where I live, there is a fingerprint process, background check and a fee to get a concealed carry permit.

68X426

A lot of people with no real ability or training carrying guns.  . 

Substitute the word guns with automobiles, money, and especially parenting.

Face it, people are irresponsible on every level of activity.  Fucking up can take one second or a decade or two.

Good luck banning stupid and legislating smart.

In before the :dancinglock:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

Bob you are just being lazy.  Can't do some basic research?.  Come on.

Here's some info on California permit rules.

https://www.usacarry.com/california_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

You need to click on the link to learn more.  It's the underlined thing just above this sentence.

The last jury I (nearly) served on involved a loaded weapon and DUI.  The defense asked the prospective jurors who was carrying, and one half of the 150 everyday citizens in the room were carrying and fully permitted.  We have a very very safe county.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Laowho

We might have more hoops to jump through than any other state re: all things guns (NJ--even my PA shooting buddies won't shoot here), and these hoops are just dollars/revenue makers. Any dip**** can and does operate out of their basement a transfer scam for out of state sales. OR, just pay the scam at your local gun store. Nuthin whatsoever to do w/ "safety." Before I was finished I'd submitted my prints twice to two different companies, been to the sheriff's office 3x, and paid $65/arm (black powder rifles) to an idiot two blocks f/ us whom law req'd as some weird intermediary/bag man. I did NOT feel encouraged following him into his basement stuffed w/ guns and NRA s*** everywhere, just to sign a paper and fork over more $$. Hell, even the cop said, after my last/final sheriff office visit, to go pick up our guns and "spend more $$." Whole thing only took two months. Fkn LOVE Murika! Send lawyers, guns and money, and make Herbalife legit! We rock. Nobody knows how to turn a buck like we do. We sell DREAMS babay. Where else can you be Richard Simmons AND Dirty Harry?!

Todd Wilson

Kansas has a concealed carry license. You have to take the course and pass the test but they also have constitutional carry. You can conceal carry with out the license in Kansas. You still should know some of the rules and laws s you don't get into trouble. There are a few places you cannot carry.   Its peace of mind to be able to carry. I have been in several situations where I wished I had a gun and now I do have a gun. There is nothing wrong with law abiding citizens carrying.

Todd

stripedelete

Quote from: stripedelete on June 09, 2017, 12:53:18 AM

Not too scary.  Carry people are pretty responsible.  Most understand there is a lawyer attached to every round.

Non self defense shootings involving conceal carry people are still pretty rare.   If you're not dealing drugs, trying to buy them, or breaking into someone's home, you have little to worry about.   There's probably a better chance of your crazy brother-in-law sticking a fork in your throat during an alcohol fueled holiday argument.

RallyeMike

QuoteSo it's as scary as I expected. A lot of people with no real ability or training carrying guns.Then throw in a life threatening situation with a dirty background.

Despite what the news indicates, America is very gun safe unless you plan to shoot yourself or throw gang signs. In big-picture terms:

1) 2/3 of the gun deaths are suicides. Very sad but true. Every year.
2) The preponderance of the remaining 1/3 are criminals, mostly killing each other.
3) A small % is domestic violence
4) A smaller % is accidents.

The chance of an innocent law-abiding citizen being killed by another due to gun violence or by accident is very, very slim. Ability and training is not the issue causing people to be harmed by guns. Better time is spent worrying about crossing the street or falling off a ladder.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Bobs69

Quote from: 68X426 on June 09, 2017, 09:24:13 AM
A lot of people with no real ability or training carrying guns.  .  

Substitute the word guns with automobiles, money, and especially parenting.

Face it, people are irresponsible on every level of activity.  Fucking up can take one second or a decade or two.

Good luck banning stupid and legislating smart.

In before the :dancinglock:

Good point.

I'm Canadian and just curious as to how things work there.  I've been meeting a lot of American's that like to carry their guns.

alfaitalia

Quote from: RallyeMike on June 09, 2017, 10:23:08 PM
QuoteSo it's as scary as I expected. A lot of people with no real ability or training carrying guns.Then throw in a life threatening situation with a dirty background.

Despite what the news indicates, America is very gun safe unless you plan to shoot yourself or throw gang signs. In big-picture terms:

1) 2/3 of the gun deaths are suicides. Very sad but true. Every year.
2) The preponderance of the remaining 1/3 are criminals, mostly killing each other.
3) A small % is domestic violence
4) A smaller % is accidents.

The chance of an innocent law-abiding citizen being killed by another due to gun violence or by accident is very, very slim. Ability and training is not the issue causing people to be harmed by guns. Better time is spent worrying about crossing the street or falling off a ladder.

Interesting about the suicides......However the guns even seem to affect that. You have 12.6 suicides per 100,000 pop...where as us, with no guns, only have about 7...not far away from double. A death from a gun is death from a gun...no matter how it occurred. No getting away from the fact you gun death rates are 46 times higher than ours with next to know legal handguns. I think its very difficult to justify owning one....but as I said before....its your country so your rules.. Why would the bad guys feel the need to carry of they knew their victims would not be packing and if they did carry they would have little reason to fire...the threat alone is enough to get their way.....they very carry or fire here and when they do its usually to settle scores amongst themselves!

Amazing this thread has lasted so long without a lock.

We ought to have a political thread section. It can be done in a grown up way. We do over on Jeep forum. As long as the threads don't turn into a flaming session and other people are prepared to listen to someone else's point of view (the basis of all adult discussion imo)......then why not? Is easy enough to delete the abusive, racist and religiously bigoted threads.

Chargen69

Americans like to carry guns because guns are how we are a free nation to begin with.

plus, nothing makes me more comfortable going into a wal-mart knowing my 45 should get me back to my car

Laowho

If you're gonna do stats...

Being killed with a gun here:                                        Is about as likely as
                                                                                   dying of ________ in the U.S

El Salvador                                                               Heart attack
Mexico                                                                       Pancreatic cancer   
United States                                                               Car accident
Chile                                                                               Motorcycle accident
Israel                                                                       Building fire   
Canada                                                                       Alcohol poisoning   
Ireland                                                                       Drowning in a lake, river or ocean   
Netherlands                                                               Accidental gas poisoning   
Germany                                                                       Contact with a thrown or falling object   
France                                                                       Hypothermia   
Austria                                                                       Drowning in a swimming pool
Australia                                                                       Falling from a building or structure   
China                                                                       Plane crash   
Spain                                                                       Exposure to excessive natural heat   
New Zealand                                                               Falling from a ladder   
Poland                                                                       Bicycle-car crash   
England                                                                       Contact with agricultural machinery   
Norway                                                                       Accidental hanging or strangulation   
Iceland                                                                       Electrocution   
Scotland                                                                       Cataclysmic storms   
South Korea                                                               Being crushed or pinched between objects
Japan                                                                       Lightning strike   

And the takeaway? We obviously need a gov't funded study to better understand why Kiwis are particularly poor w/ guns around Americans on ladders.

70 sublime

Quote from: Chargen69 on June 11, 2017, 07:45:47 AM
Americans like to carry guns because guns are how we are a free nation to begin with.

plus, nothing makes me more comfortable going into a wal-mart knowing my 45 should get me back to my car

You think you need to carry a gun so no one robs you while at Wal Mart
Or just in case there is a shoot out at Wal Mart you want to at least have a chance because every one else has a gun ??

Can proudly say I never feel like I need a gun to feel safe going to Wal Mart here in Canada
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Laowho

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 11, 2017, 07:52:41 AM

Or just in case there is a shoot out at Wal Mart you want to at least have a chance because every one else has a gun ??

Can proudly say I never feel like I need a gun to feel safe going to Wal Mart here in Canada

Well yeah, cuz you'e Canadian. Our equivalent for your gun deaths would be death by alcohol poisoning, wh/ is hardly fair and you can't realistically be expected to understand. As a Canadian, what you have to watch out for is carrying a gun around Americans who are drinking.

chargerbr549

Two of the main reasons I would never consider moving away from the United States and there is a lot of pretty cool counties out there, is my gun freedoms and of course our big cubic inch V8 musclecars that were mass produced.

Chargen69

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 11, 2017, 07:52:41 AM

good for you jack, you must not have the crackheads we do

alfaitalia

Lol...of course we do....most semi developed countries do these days....they just don't have guns because you can't get them easily in most other countries. I love the way you guys see guns as the cure or prevention to violent crime rather than what they clearly are to most of the rest of the World...the cause.