News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grounding issues

Started by jdscofield, June 10, 2017, 08:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdscofield

I am constantly having grounding issues on my 74 charger.  I am wondering how any of you who have had similar problems rectified the issue.  As a electrician, I have a idea on how to ground the entire vehicle. However, it is not how it should be done.  Curious as to how others accomplished it.  Like I said, I am a electrician and I'm thinking of installing a ground bar on the firewall and creating a grounding loop around the car and running ground leads from the ground bar and tapping into the various ground leads in the differen harnesses and one to the battery.
MOPAR or no car

MoparRocks

I just seriously beefed up and added some ground cables on my 71. Everything is 4 gauge or better. I ran from the battery negative to the block. Block to the radiator support. Block to the firewall. Battery negative to the radiator support. Battery negative to an automotive bus bar under the dash where all the gauges, interior lights, stereo, etc grounds to. Super important to make sure all points are stripped clean down to bare metal. I did this with a mix of sandpaper and a wire brush to remove all the paint, rust, etc from the bolts, studs, and surrounding metal. I also used a liberal amount of dielectric grease to coat everything to protect it from corrosion and help solidify the contacts. So far it's been working well for me.
1971 Charger Richard Petty tribute
Mopar 340 three on the tree

jdscofield

Cool.  That's. Good to hear.  That's basically the same concept I was thinking about.  I was thinking about taking it a step further by tapping a new ground at the connections for the lights as well and bringing them back to the ground bar.  Might be over kill.  I'm just tired of the gauges working for months and then not working and then miraculously working again.  Or all the noise in the radio.  However, the one that really drives me up the wall is the drivers side blinker either blinking very slow or not at all.  That one really irks me, lol.
MOPAR or no car

c00nhunterjoe

I also have a ground bar under the hood near the origonal battery location.

71charger_fan

On my '55 Plymouth, I didn't trust the body structure with its unknown amount of rust in the seams to successfully complete a circuit so I used a terminal strip to make a ground block under the dash and ran a 10 gauge wire directly to the battery. From that ground block, I ran another 10 gauge wire to the passenger kick panel area and installed another ground block. I wanted to be sure I'd have a good ground connection for lights, radio, etc.