News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to go to learn modern Mopars?

Started by Bad B-rad, June 12, 2017, 06:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

Long story short, Besides my 69 Charger, I have a 2016 Charger R/T.
I used to have a 2005 Magnum R/T, and I was on (a certain nameless forum) it was a very helpful place to learn best way to tune the new Hemi. What parts work best, the best tuners, and so on.
So when I got my 2016, I just went back to the (same name-less forum)

I guess things have changed, because if I want to know anything technical I get no responses to any posts.
Tumble weeds and crickets.
But if I ask the best wax to use, Watch the F@$K out!!! 10,000 replies, about what wax to use best time to use it, best direction to wipe depending on the relative humidity, and the moon's gravitational pull on the earth, and whos wax comes in the coolest packaging !!!!!

Anyone know a good site for modern Mopars?

Johnnymopar

Lol, you have an entertaining way with words, thanks for the laugh. 

I own a 2009 Challenger SRT and am looking for a 69 or 70 Charger.   I'm on the Challengertalk forum and find it very useful and good technical knowledge on it... mind you a bit less these days on the 6.1. 

Good luck.   :cheers:

Bad B-rad

I know a lot about the older pre-09 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi's
But the new VVT, and Eagle head 09 and up Hemi's a lot has changed, even tuning has changed.
You used to just buy a Diablo Sport product and tune the hell out of it.
Now the PCM is locked so you have to buy an unlocked PCM and a tuner, and from what I have been able to find, not much to be gained by tuning stock engines now a days?
I am just looking to learn as much as I can about the new engines and what works and what is a waste of time, I will have to check out the Challenger site you recommended.

I used to LOVE the LX forum, man there is a TON of stuff on the pre 09 5.7 Hemi's.
I had my Magnum R/T running so good.

1974dodgecharger

when buying modern cars its expected to just WORK so what people is concentrate on wax, plastidip, bras, wraps, etc...

that's why you get 10k replies on the wax because well what else is there to do to a modern car?

Very few finance a car then add power adders to it or modify it off the bat knowing they have a monthly payment on it.

JR

Based on how many new scat pack and hellcats I see driving around with the stupid bright yellow or green shipping protectors still stuck to the spoilers, I'm not surprised to hear the forums are useless. :icon_smile_big:

May as well leave the sizing label attached to their new pants, or the sticker still attached to the TV screen.  :brickwall:
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Bad B-rad

My wife HAD TO HAVE this 2016 R/T because of the color, Maximum Steel Metallic, so that's what we got.
I have had HUGE buyers remorse about not putting my foot down and getting a Scat Pack in that color. (hey we both would win!!!)
I even considered taking a bit of a loss and trading my car in for a Scat Pack.
But too much time has passed and we now have to many miles to make it happen, I paid for my car in full, no loan, so I don't have a ton of cash to throw at it. But with the pre VVT 5.7 I know a ton of sweet cheap mods to make them run.
I am not up on the 09 and up "eagle"  Hemi's.
Even putting a tune on the new Hemi cars is a bit more difficult then the older (2005-2010,aprox) ones. You used to just buy a Diablo,(they are/were the best) and throw a tune on it, that's it. And as you build you motor you could upgrade to a custom tune.
Now Pcm's are locked,I was leaning toward(for now because of cash and  car has warranty) A Mopar Scat Package Stage 1 PCM, a real CAI, and the 6.4 SRT exhaust manifolds and mid pipes, and a good cat back(for the 6.4 exhaust).
I know that would work ok.
I have also heard the 6.4 intake manifold is a nice swap that adds a bit more grunt down low, and for a mostly stock engine, is the same up top.
I was wondering about the 6.4 cam in the 5.7, so I can keep the MDS, and hopefully get some more ponies.

Again, on some of the newer Mopar forums you can get a crap ton of replies on what cat back should I buy and all answers are based on "sound" not performance, and I know sound is a major factor in an exhaust, but sound is also thing that can change from person to person, as where an exhaust that gives you 25 HP, well that gives you 25 horsepower.  
I want to learn about the motors like I did for the pre 09 VVT Hemi s.
like a 2005 Hemi will pull timing if above 190engine temp, so people put in 180 degree thermostat, but in order to get the most from that mod, you need to change the temp that the  fans come on and off(set when you low/med and high fans kick on and off)
That's the kind of stuff I want to know about my 2016 engine ,I was just paraphrasing above, I may be off a few degrees on when the computer starts to pull timing, I don't want to get hammered for posting wrong info, I was just proving a point.

I also may learn to love my R/T a bit more now that I see SO MANY people have Scat Packs, It makes me almost want an SRT, just to be different.
I bet in a few years the Market will be flooded with very well waxed Scat Pack repo cars!!!!!!

Bad B-rad

Just found a sweet write up on putting a 6.4 SRT intake on the 5.7, and what is involved to get the srt intake to switch runner length at the desired 4800rpm. That is the type of info I want to be finding out. That's good stuff.

sanders7981

I bought my wife a 2016 Plum Crazy Purple Scat Pack... Win win for both of us! 😃  They are NICE!

Bad B-rad

You LUCKY SOB!!!!!!
Sweet that is a win  win, for both of you!  485HP and a SWEET COLOR(I think my favorite is Go Mango or Plum Crazy)
The R/T is still fast as hell, but if I would have started with a scat pack, I would started with about 100 extra HP and if driven gingerly then they get about the same MPG, So how can you loose.

RCCDrew

If you find out a good place let me know. I have a 16 Challenger RT and am thinking about some mods. I have done some, but minimal things.

sanders7981

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 15, 2017, 05:34:31 PM

You LUCKY SOB!!!!!!
Sweet that is a win  win, for both of you!  485HP and a SWEET COLOR(I think my favorite is Go Mango or Plum Crazy)
The R/T is still fast as hell, but if I would have started with a scat pack, I would started with about 100 extra HP and if driven gingerly then they get about the same MPG, So how can you loose.

We got it under invoice too.  I have a Marine buddy that works on the assembly line at dodge who got me a friends and family discount.  We traded in her 2010 Furious Fuschia R/T Challenger for it.  I think we walked out the door at $40k.

Bad B-rad

Oh man, That Challenger you traded in the 2010 was a sweet color.
I think in 2010 it was a limited color, only on the R/T classic.
I know one of the years of that color commands a premium resale price due to its low numbers.

So how much faster is that Scat Pack, vs the R/T? :drive:

I am just a poor R/T owner, maybe one day.

sanders7981

Our Challenger was 1 of 1000 and 1 of 343 with its options I think.  Furious Fuschia was a very limited color that year, And probably the only year that will ever have it.  It was fast, but no where near as fast as the SP.  Our SP hauls ass for a four-door.  I was really impressed with it.  Once the baby is out of a car seat, we plan to get another Chally. 

RCCDrew

Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 16, 2017, 03:33:22 AM
I know one of the years of that color commands a premium resale price due to its low numbers.

I own an R/T and recently test drove a scat pack. The dealer just let me take the car by myself, and that was a mistake!  Lol. The scat pack is definitely faster. It gets sideways easier and is more fun. But it's not scary fast. I really thought it would be faster.

Troy

Quote from: RCCDrew on July 03, 2017, 12:38:11 AM
Quote from: Bad B-rad on June 16, 2017, 03:33:22 AM

I own an R/T and recently test drove a scat pack. The dealer just let me take the car by myself, and that was a mistake!  Lol. The scat pack is definitely faster. It gets sideways easier and is more fun. But it's not scary fast. I really thought it would be faster.
Did you play with the Performance Pages? One of the benefits of having a Scat Pack is to get the SRT equipment (except adjustable suspension) and programming. Setting the launch control and firming up the transmission shift points makes a big difference. I think the new R/Ts get the active exhaust but when I bought mine the noise helped sell the car. ;) It's more than 1/2 second faster 0-60 and more than a second faster in the 1/4 mile than the R/T. Once upon a time (like in the heyday of our beloved musclecars) people though 14 seconds was was pretty dang fast. That time is achievable by minivans these days. Hard to think of a mid 12 second cars as not being all that fast.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

c00nhunterjoe

When i had my 07 rt, i was on a few of those modern sites. I laughed at the "mod lists" in most of the signatures. On our site, we see long tubes, cam, intake, dana. Etc.... on there i saw debadge mod, window tint mod, plastidip wheel mod. Lmao

Bad B-rad

:iagree:

I am telling you that's all most of them talk about, Waxing, de badge'n and what wraps they put on.
I want to make my R/T a bit faster(I would love some more torque)
Some of the biggest debates are over "TRUE" cold air intakes, and what the exhaust sounds like.

As far as performance pages go, I have a plain R/T, only the 5.7 Hemi no performance pages.
I will get myself a Tazer to add them.
My plan for now is I have a set of SRT exhaust manifolds and mids, and I am also gonna add the 6.4 (active) intake manifold, and the 2015 and up PCM can make the actuator work correctly, so I do not have to mess with a MDS rpm switch. And then the 6.4 MDS cam, because I want to keep the MDS,as it is my wifes car and I want the best MPG we can, and the stock 6.4 cam will give me power and I can keep the MDS.
After all those mods, a guy around Long Island is gonna make me a tune while we run the car on the dyno
But there are so many things I want tot learn about these newer VVT 5.7 Hemis.

It dose suck that there are a ton of butt nuggets with 485 HP Scat packs and I am a life long Mopar guy stuck with a 370HP 5.7 R/T.
I bet most of them wont own the car in five years they will be on to something else.
And I do have my 69 Charger, my 2016 Charger, and a Wrangler, and my Cummins 3500, but still, I would LOVE to be able to afford a Scat Pack, or SRT.

That's why I want to learn about these so much, I got to hot rod mine up on a broke working family man's budget.   

Troy

Curious... by the time you do all those mods won't you have as much in it as a Scat Pack - but you still won't have the bigger/better wheels, tires, brakes, interior, or super cool bodywork (and Bee badges)? When I was pricing the cars it would have cost well over $25k to buy all the stuff that added only $10k on the sticker. The price difference between a Scat Pack and an SRT is about the same but the seat-of-the-pants feeling doesn't justify it (adjustable suspension, marginally bigger brakes, marginally wider wheels/tires, body color spoiler).

I know that's the same argument we get on the old cars - but those are harder to finance. :P

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Bad B-rad

You are totally correct, But when I got my 2016 Charger R/T I paid cash, no finance, no loan payments, and I could not afford the extra 10G unless I got a loan, sold my old car, or waited and saved up more. My wife HAD to HAVE the 2016(new at the time) so getting a used Scat or SRT was kinda a hard sell.

I figure, because I have been waiting and getting the parts when they are cheap, that my mods will cost me about $3-4grand.
And once I have all the mods done on the 5.7, I could prob just drop in a 6.4 down the road.

But you are correct on the brakes and suspension, the Scat Pack is better then the R/T and the SRT better then Scat.
With my R/T unless you are doing auto cross, the brakes and suspension are really very good, you can handle well above the posted speed around corners and so getting the car to handle much better not a big priority.
And as far as improving brakes the Police package brake kit(the whole kit) Master cylinder(same as SRT) front larger rotors and new calipers and brackets, and rear rotors and caliper brackets is about $1300 bucks and you could do it in stages to make it cheaper.

So the long answer to the question is yes in the long run the Scat Pack is better and a no brainer, but 10 grand is still a bunch of cash and I only had $27,000 cash to spend, and I have been out of work with a work related injury, so I did not want payments that I may not be able to make.
You cant repo something I own.
The R/T is a great drive and getting 22.2MPG combo driving,and 370 HP is nice, but it comes on late(4,000rpm, before she comes alive) I would love the bigger 6.4 Hemi, with a bit more torque and 110 more HP from the start!!!!  SO for now, I will mod and dream.