News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To rebuild or replace with Repo?

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, June 16, 2017, 07:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I can rebuild my original heater core, use my original heater control valve or replace with new parts from Classic Auto Air. The money is about the same. I am torn. I certainly am leery of putting the old HCV in the car even though it tests good today, but when looking at it in person it looks perfectly good, and it seemed to test ok. The original heater core is clearly different than what I can buy repo, and the original has a few features the repo does not have. If it was easy to replace if it failed in the future then I would not be pondering this, but given it is going in to a 69 Charger not so easy to replace. Oh this is an air car, and I will have new carpet. So the million dollar question....what would ya'll do? :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Dino

I will repair ANYTHING over buying repro if it is at all available. The heater and a/c in my 69 works like in a modern car, the unit works just fine if it's in good shape.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Laowho

Ours came factory air, and my wife wants it back, but by far more people seem to opt for aftermarket. Given compressor technologies (size/efficiency), our minimal needs, and cost, we'll be goin aftermarket.

john108

I bought replacement heater and evap cores.  They look very similar to original but it was a b**** getting the case to close.  I couldn't figure out why and switches back and forth a few times.  The originals fit fine but the after market gave me problems.
I finally managed to squeeze everything in and bolt it up.  The vacuum actuators were the next issue.  I managed to replace 2 of them. 
I haven't installed the unit yet but the vacuum operation dampers seems to work ok.

Dino

I did forget to mention I'm running a Sanden compressor and r134a.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Pete in NH

All I can say in all the years I've been working on cars, I have rarely seen after market parts that were the same quality level and fit as well as OEM parts. With after market parts it's almost always a fussing and fighting thing to get the thing in correctly. Sad thing is with our cars we can't go down to the local Chrysler dealer and get a factory part.

gtx6970

I'll rebuild the cores when ever possible.

I've heard of fit issues with repo cores

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: gtx6970 on June 20, 2017, 06:37:48 AM
I'll rebuild the cores when ever possible.

I've heard of fit issues with repo cores

Thank you

Laowho

Yeah, thanks. After further consideration we're restoring the original system (but with the Classic compressor).

Sixt8Chrgr

I could not get a rebuilt heater core tank that was the exact same height as original. The repo tank that would had been part of my original heater core would had been 1/2" taller and I was concerned would be a tough fit. I had Classic Auto Air measure their heater core height and it was the exact same height as my original so I went that way.

Lawrence