News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How an Automatic Transmission Works (funny)

Started by 72Charger72, August 15, 2017, 08:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger72

lloyd3

John_Kunkel

The artist who placed the Power Loss arrow at the converter obviously doesn't understand that converters actually multiply torque.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Tilar

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 17, 2017, 04:44:57 PM

The artist who placed the Power Loss arrow at the converter obviously doesn't understand that converters actually multiply torque.

Do they really? I figured it really had no influence on torque one way or the other...  :scratchchin:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

flyinlow

A good converter can double the engine torque to input shaft at shock stall for a very brief period.

John_Kunkel

Converters are rated by their "stall ratio" which is the torque multiplication ratio; a low performance converter might have a stall ratio of 1.8:1 while a race converter might have a stall ratio of 2.5:1.  IOW, if the engine produces 500 ft. lbs. of torque, a 2.5:1 converter's output would be 1250 ft. lbs. at stall.

While most people rate a converter by its stall speed, people in the know are more concerned with its stall ratio.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.