News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dim headlights, slow indicators etc

Started by boss429kiwi, June 17, 2017, 12:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

Hi

On my Superbird, the head lights are dim, indicators are slow and my alt gauge flicks around.
I've checked the groundings and all looks ok.

Engine cranks and starts fine.

Any other suggestions.

Cheers
Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

Pete in NH

Hi,

What you describe is normal at engine idle and a heavy load on the electrical system. The alternators of the day did not produce much output at engine idle. Things should improve as engine RPM's increase. You might want to put a voltmeter across the battery and measure the system voltage. You should see 14.0 to 14.4 volts at higher engine speeds, if not you have a charging system issue, bad alternator, regulator or wiring.

poppa

Cluster connections all clean and tight?

As Pete said , this is common at idle. I do some country driving and at a stop sign at night with headlights on , brakes applied and turn signal going it was like a hamster in my headlights holding a birthday candle. I added relays. Power right off altenator , switch works the relays. One for low beams , one for high, Mounted mine right on rad support .  Not a factory thing but got good lights now.  :Twocents:
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.