DodgeCharger.com Forum
June 24, 2017, 01:06:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I have updated the list of DodgeCharger.com shirts!

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P/S box removal from top  (Read 172 times)
Voss

« on: June 18, 2017, 01:56:22 AM »

Okay, getting ready to install my FirmFeel stage 3 P/S in my 68 Charger. I know many people remove the torsion bar and drops the P/S box down. But I don't have a torsion bar removal tool yet so I was hoping to get the P/S box out from top. Of course I need to remove the exhaust manifold (probably I will remove the starter too just go gain some space). I had the exhaust manifolds out of the car last year so I know it will be an easy thing since I don't need to fight with rusted pin bolts.

I think it should be possible. Has anyone in here done this or is it a bad idea??  scratchchin
Just 6T9 CHGR
Old Timer

AKA... "The Game Changer"

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »

I've changed steering box numerous times without torsion bar removal on my '69 R/T....did have to disconnect the drivers side motor mount & jack engine up a bit though....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

CRW-FK5

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »

I agree.  Wouldn't be an issue pulling it out from bottom without removing the torsion bar.  Starter would have to come out though and, as stated, left hand motor mount bolt removed and engine raised.  And you'd be able to leave the exhaust manifold in place.  It will come out that way.
A383Wing
Old Timer

Old, Lost & Confuzed

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 07:26:06 PM »

I have pulled them out the top..last one was a 383 66 Coronet.....removed gas pedal cable, battery & battery box, remove drivers side motor mount bolt, jack engine up as far as possible

Voss

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »

I have pulled them out the top..last one was a 383 66 Coronet.....removed gas pedal cable, battery & battery box, remove drivers side motor mount bolt, jack engine up as far as possible

Gas pedal cable and battery tray are obviously simple. Thing is that it takes me 15 min to remove the exhaust manifold and starter since I recently had them out. So to me it is more work to jack up the engine. It looks like there should be room with the exhaust manifold off, maybe need to bend the dipstick tube a little to get the thing out but I don't think I need to remove it. What do you think?
A383Wing
Old Timer

Old, Lost & Confuzed

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »

I never pulled the exhaust manifold, or starter.....why do that if you don't have too? You may up snapping a manifold stud or two....then you have to pull the cylinder head to get the broken studs out.....

but....your car, your choice if you want to pull the manifold

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: