News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interior temperature unbearable

Started by Charge_her, June 13, 2017, 06:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charge_her

Ladies and Gents,

The inside temps when cruising in my '69 are unbearable, I'm sweaty and uncomfortable even when the weather is mild.

I've had this Charger for about 14 years now, and never dealt with this (other things have been priority). I tried blocking one of the heater vents in the center, but it's still way too hot all the time. Any ideas? What made the most difference for you all in cooling the interior temps? I'm planning a cross country trip this year, and would really like to solve this!

303 Mopar

Quick fix it to remove the heater hoses.  The other thing I did was install a good insulator that not only is a sound deadener but also deflects the heat on the firewall, roof, floor, doors, etc.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Charge_her

Thanks for the suggestion. When you say heater hoses, do you mean the ones from the radiator that go through the firewall or the air duct hoses?

303 Mopar

The hoses that are connected to the water pump and provide hot coolant to your heater box.  My Charger always pushed out warm air when these were connected making the interior very warm even though the heater was off.  I did not want to remove the heater box and rebuild it, so I just removed the hoses and no more hot air!
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Charge_her

I know which ones you mean; water pump not radiator, thanks.  :2thumbs: I wonder if maybe I should plumb in a valve...

M5Ivan

The heat coming through the firewall can get pretty uncomfortable to the point I didn't drive mine during the warmest weather last year. I ended up adding A/C and I couldn't be happier  :icon_smile_big:

darbgnik

Quote from: Charge_her on June 13, 2017, 10:14:22 AM
I know which ones you mean; water pump not radiator, thanks.  :2thumbs: I wonder if maybe I should plumb in a valve...

A lot of people put a valve in one of the heater hoses. No flow means no heat. You then can always open the valve in cold weather.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Charge_her

I've considered both valve and AC. In the short term I'm thinking valve, but this post from hotrod got me thinking an AC is in my future: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/add-air-conditoning-old-car-easy/

Thanks for the tips.

Charge_her

Anyone willing to share pics of their valve setup or recommend certain plumbing components?