News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird 15" tire rebund bumper spacers & red brake drums

Started by 6bblgt, June 23, 2017, 02:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6bblgt

a friend of mine bought a 440+6 4-speed Superbird: numbers matching, been repainted but fairly original (interior & top?) and wearing "ROAD wheels" & F70-14 POLYGLAS tires.  He is putting 15" "RALLYE wheels" & radials on it to be a little more driver friendly.

I saw the car tonight & it has spacers under the rebound bumpers & does NOT appear to have red paint on the rear drums (should be able to investigate the dates on the "ROAD wheels", rear drum's paint details & spare tire specifics more tomorrow)

:scratchchin: is this typical for a Superbird or good evidence of "450" wheels & F60-15 POLYGLAS GTs as original equipment?

DAY CLONA

I've seen the rebound bumper plate more prevalent on disc brake cars, and some 11" drum cars (B/E) with and without 450 wheels, just indicative of HD/performance suspension/brake option(s) IMO

tan top

as far as I know  , all the 69 & a half  , A12  road runners / superbees   had lower  the bump stop spacer ,  because of the G70 x15 tires

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

maxwellwedge

Here is a pic of my original bird.
15" Rallyes
Red brake drums

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

6bblgt

all 4 "Road Wheels" 14x5.5" dated 11/20/69 and ZERO evidence of any red paint transfer from the drums

spare steel wheel 14x5.5" dated 11/24/69 - has a grease pencil "437" written on it (anyone seen this before, or was it a GM restoration "tip")

3 of the F70-14s are 1978 dated, the other 2 are mid-'90s reproductions

car arrived at Clairpointe 11/28

maxwellwedge - how close are your wheel dates to the Superbird's arrival at Clairpointe?

maxwellwedge

Sorry - I missed the question.
My car is #575  Nov 19 arrival.
I have some notes on the wheel dates somewhere - I will look...I remember they were all dated the same.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 02, 2017, 05:15:19 PM
all 4 "Road Wheels" 14x5.5" dated 11/20/69 and ZERO evidence of any red paint transfer from the drums

Factory print/line literature states to avoid any red paint on wheel contact areas...maybe the line worker that day was fastidious?

Arnie Cunningham

For some reason I thought only the rallye wheel cars got the red paint... anyone confirm that?
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on September 13, 2017, 04:49:06 PM
For some reason I thought only the rallye wheel cars got the red paint... anyone confirm that?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on September 13, 2017, 04:49:06 PM

Any "styled" wheel.

66FBCharger

I have a few questions about the rebound bumper spacers. Are the spacers loose and just sandwiched and held in by the attaching stud of the rebound bumper or was it welded to the lower control arm?
Was the spacer used on all B and E body cars that came with 60 series 15" tires and wheels?
Was 1970 the first year for the use of this spacer?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Kowal

Was used on all 69 1/2 A12 cars.    It was loose, captured by the bumper.

You can buy them still today, they are reproduced.
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

6bblgt

the spacer dates to at least the early '60s - ('62 b-body?) cop car/taxi/wagon/etc. with oversized tires

hemi-hampton

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 13, 2017, 11:25:30 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on July 02, 2017, 05:15:19 PM

Factory print/line literature states to avoid any red paint on wheel contact areas...maybe the line worker that day was fastidious?

I thought the same thing, the originals I seen had the red paint away from the lug studs as noted in TBS. LEON.

FJ5WING

my wheels and drums looked a little neater than Jims. When I restored my wheels I put excessive amounts of red paint on some old drums and threw the wheels on but it looks about half as bad as the factory workers. They must really laid that red paint on!
wingless now, but still around.

graybo

I have a 4 speed Dana bird that has no red paint present on the drums and this is a 1000 mile car.  Maybe the Dana drums did not get the red paint?  I have rally wheels F60x15 tires.   My bumpers do have the spacer. 

6bblgt

Quote from: graybo on May 14, 2019, 06:29:15 PM
I have a 4 speed Dana bird that has no red paint present on the drums and this is a 1000 mile car.  Maybe the Dana drums did not get the red paint?  I have rally wheels F60x15 tires.   My bumpers do have the spacer. 

:2thumbs:

STUFF that doesn't follow the norm - "how common" is the reason I started this thread
many scenarios possible: missed on the line or something changed early in the car's life

***** are the "rallye wheels" broadcast sheet and/or window sticker documented?
***** are the original tires still with the car?  be cool to see the dates on the wheels/tires/spare & compare to its build date/arrival at Clairpointe

graybo

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 15, 2019, 12:00:43 AM
Quote from: graybo on May 14, 2019, 06:29:15 PM

:2thumbs:

STUFF that doesn't follow the norm - "how common" is the reason I started this thread
many scenarios possible: missed on the line or something changed early in the car's life

***** are the "rallye wheels" broadcast sheet and/or window sticker documented?

***** are the original tires still with the car?  be cool to see the dates on the wheels/tires/spare & compare to its build date/arrival at Clairpointe

The rally wheels are documented on the broadcast sheet and I do have the original tires...I just dont know where to look for the date at?????????