News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Full Floor pan replacement question

Started by 72Charger72, June 23, 2017, 08:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger72

So I have been a little slow as of late getting to replacing my floor pan because Im not sure exactly what to do with the seam along the firewall.
I have most of the 9 million spot weld drilled out and have looked on the Net and You tube but havent really found anything detailed explaining how to deal with this seam in a full floor pan replacement...most vids about patching etc.....etc...Any help or advice or good links are appreciated.

Troy

It's just a flanged joint isn't it? I replaced 3/4th of the pans in my 70 Challenger and a full replacement would have been a million times easier. Part of that firewall to floor pan seam was rusted (I swear Mopar only put seam sealer in theses cars to give water a convenient place to run) and I had to actually fabricate the firewall part along a large portion. There may be some issues at either end where you have 3 or 4 pieces overlapping. I'll take a look today to see how I did it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

72Charger72

Thanks Troy...yes I figured the full floor would be easier than cutting and welding a million times...I have a seam buster coming this week and just wasnt sure how to attack the seam and re-seat it with new floor pan.

Cncguy

I drilled all the spot welds with a carbide spotweld cutter, then I used a 2" putty knife to break the welds. I only used the panel separate knife tool on very difficult welds that wouldn't pop. Yes it destroys the putty knife but saves the panels.

72Charger72

Quote from: Cncguy on June 28, 2017, 01:11:20 PM
I drilled all the spot welds with a carbide spotweld cutter, then I used a 2" putty knife to break the welds. I only used the panel separate knife tool on very difficult welds that wouldn't pop. Yes it destroys the putty knife but saves the panels.
Thanks CNCGuy how did you tackle the firewall seam?

randy73

Quote from: Troy on June 24, 2017, 10:39:32 AM
It's just a flanged joint isn't it? I replaced 3/4th of the pans in my 70 Challenger and a full replacement would have been a million times easier. Part of that firewall to floor pan seam was rusted (I swear Mopar only put seam sealer in theses cars to give water a convenient place to run) and I had to actually fabricate the firewall part along a large portion. There may be some issues at either end where you have 3 or 4 pieces overlapping. I'll take a look today to see how I did it.

Troy

LMAO, seam sealer was only used to guide the water.

Cncguy

Quote from: 72Charger72 on June 29, 2017, 07:59:31 AM
Thanks CNCGuy how did you tackle the firewall seam?

I drilled from the engine side of the firewall most or all of the welds can be gotten from this side. It is best to drill the panel you don't want to save, in this case I needed the full floor so I drilled firewall. But if I were trying to save the firewall, and the floorpans were rotted out I'd probably make a cut an inch away from the seem and get as many welds as I could from the floorpan side. If that makes sense.

72Charger72

Ran into a few questions today and thought I would ask rather than be sorry. Anyone feel free to chime in!
Working on rear seam first...
1) It appears along with spot welds they did some seam welds on the back of the rear seat pans. How do people take care of these? Grind?
or just break through with a seam breaker?
2) Whats the process for dealing with the wire hiders along the rails? The floor pan goes under these but they are so thin I am worried about ruining them?
3) Sometimes I go all the way through with the spot weld cutter? How to you address this adding in the new pan? Just drill a hole over an inch or so?
Pictures are in order of questions thanks!

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: Cncguy on June 29, 2017, 09:55:25 AM
But if I were trying to save the firewall, and the floorpans were rotted out I'd probably make a cut an inch away from the seem and get as many welds as I could from the floorpan side. If that makes sense.

I am at this exact point in replacing the driver's side pan in a 71 RR. If the car he's working on (72 Charger ?) is the same, he'll want to be real mindful of that brace to the frame rail on the under side of the pan when he makes that cut -- mine goes right through the area where the screw holes are for the dimmer switch.

See if this pic loads...

72Charger72

Quote from: Midnight_Rider on July 02, 2017, 12:14:34 AM
Quote from: Cncguy on June 29, 2017, 09:55:25 AM
But if I were trying to save the firewall, and the floorpans were rotted out I'd probably make a cut an inch away from the seem and get as many welds as I could from the floorpan side. If that makes sense.

I am at this exact point in replacing the driver's side pan in a 71 RR. If the car he's working on (72 Charger ?) is the same, he'll want to be real mindful of that brace to the frame rail on the under side of the pan when he makes that cut -- mine goes right through the area where the screw holes are for the dimmer switch.

See if this pic loads...

Thanks Midnight_Rider Yes Im working on a 72 Im going to mark all frame rails out before cutting but a photo is worth a thousand cuts!

72Charger72

Started floor removal and guess Ive answered my own question about Media Blast vs Acid Dip. This was acid dipped a year ago and after floor pan removal you can see plenty of rust and crap in the frame rail so I guess neither option is a perfect solution.

randy73

Quote from: 72Charger72 on July 12, 2017, 10:36:31 AM
Started floor removal and guess Ive answered my own question about Media Blast vs Acid Dip. This was acid dipped a year ago and after floor pan removal you can see plenty of rust and crap in the frame rail so I guess neither option is a perfect solution.

I media blasted the hard to reach areas, sanded most of the rest and used paint remover on the rest, but have to say that sanding is the best option when possible.

72Charger72

Sorry miss-posted down below....
Ran into a few questions today and thought I would ask rather than be sorry. Anyone feel free to chime in!
Working on rear seam first...
1) It appears along with spot welds they did some seam welds on the back of the rear seat pans. How do people take care of these? Grind?
or just break through with a seam breaker?
2) Whats the process for dealing with the wire hiders along the rails? The floor pan goes under these but they are so thin I am worried about ruining them?
3) Sometimes I go all the way through with the spot weld cutter? How to you address this adding in the new pan? Just drill a hole over an inch or so?
Pictures are in order of questions thanks!

Troy

1. I ground them off.
2. The metal flaps? I cut them at the spot welds.
3. I spaced my own holes. If you try to mimic the original spots and weld exactly where the old ones were, the existing metal will be thin from the earlier weld and will probably blow through very easily. The other option is to drill all of the holes all the way through then don't put any holes in the new panels. Just weld from the back! :) This assumes you can reach all of them...

I sort of mix-n-match approaches to get whatever works best. When possible, I try to weld to the thickest, cleanest metal available even if it's not perfectly aligned with the factory weld. No one is likely to see the bottom of my car or under the carpet. Even if they did, most of these are covered with seam sealer and/or undercoating.

Troy

72Charger72

Thanks Troy
Grinding it is!!
And yes the thin flaps that cover the electrical running down the sides. Not sure what that's called?
What do you mean by cut? Did you reuse them?
For the spot welds that makes sense since! Thanks for the quick reply!
Still have some time left today to make progress!
And the I wondered why on the inner fenders people just didn't drill
All the way through and weld from behind looks cleaner and easier!

Troy

Depending on the car... those metal flap wire covers usually have about 3 spot welds in the bottom (towards the inside of the car). They may be covered in seam sealer. I reuse them if I can. They aren't structural so no worries about weakening them (or breaking a tab).

Also... if you really did want to duplicate the look of the factory welds, just grind all the new ones flat, put on a film of body filler, and "dot" it with a pencil eraser wherever you want it to look like there's a weld. Then you can weld wherever it's convenient.

Troy

Midnight_Rider

Aplogies to 72Charger72, sorry to butt in on your thread -- but could you (or anyone for that matter) tell me what's going on in the circled area? It looks like a plate of some kind? That was/is missing on mine, and I'm new to the B's and have no frame of reference. All I have there is a couple of holes where the studs would go?

randy73

There is a large C shaped (and heavy) piece on the underside, I was told it is to protect the rear passengers should the driveshaft break. The C piece sits right over the driveshaft.

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: randy73 on July 21, 2017, 03:52:55 PM
There is a large C shaped (and heavy) piece on the underside, I was told it is to protect the rear passengers should the driveshaft break. The C piece sits right over the driveshaft.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Always delighted to discover more missing parts to track down, lol.

72Charger72

Quote from: Midnight_Rider on July 21, 2017, 03:12:18 PM
Aplogies to 72Charger72, sorry to butt in on your thread -- but could you (or anyone for that matter) tell me what's going on in the circled area? It looks like a plate of some kind? That was/is missing on mine, and I'm new to the B's and have no frame of reference. All I have there is a couple of holes where the studs would go?
All good Midnight_Rider we are all here getting and giving help if any of my posts can help someone else Im all for it!
I have just started that part of my floor pan replacement but its been way to hot to get in the garage. 103 all last week. When I checked last though thats a mounting bracket.
Two bolts underneath sticking out. I was trying to figure out how to remove that just before the heat kicked up.
I will check it again when I get home tonight. And add a couple photos from the under side.

72Charger72

Quote from: randy73 on July 21, 2017, 03:52:55 PM
I remember taking that piece off and it being heavy. I can look on my 71 tonight also. Im pretty sure I can get a photo or two.

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: 72Charger72 on July 24, 2017, 07:11:33 AM
All good Midnight_Rider we are all here getting and giving help if any of my posts can help someone else Im all for it!
I have just started that part of my floor pan replacement but its been way to hot to get in the garage. 103 all last week. When I checked last though thats a mounting bracket.
Two bolts underneath sticking out. I was trying to figure out how to remove that just before the heat kicked up.
I will check it again when I get home tonight. And add a couple photos from the under side.

Thanks man, appreciated.

72Charger72

Quote from: Midnight_Rider on July 24, 2017, 03:18:10 PM
Quote from: 72Charger72 on July 24, 2017, 07:11:33 AM

Thanks man, appreciated.
Here you go Midnight_Rider photos of the part and underside of floor pan. There is a small flat plate you will need also....The piece weighs about 10 lbs either lead or steel not quite sure.

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: 72Charger72 on July 25, 2017, 07:31:35 AM
Here you go Midnight_Rider photos of the part and underside of floor pan. There is a small flat plate you will need also....The piece weighs about 10 lbs either lead or steel not quite sure.

Wow! That's a big ol' hunk-o-cheese right there. Thanks for taking the time.

I've run into a few fitment issues with my replacement pan pieces. Hopefully you won't have any problems, but here's a link to my thread in case anything in there might be of help. Bear in mind this is my first rodeo with both panel replacement and welding, so I'm learning as I go -- there might be better ways to go about fixing things that someone with more experience would know but at least it should help identify some potential areas to keep an eye on.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,129581.0.html

72Charger72

Quote from: Midnight_Rider on July 25, 2017, 04:51:43 PM
Quote from: 72Charger72 on July 25, 2017, 07:31:35 AM

Wow! That's a big ol' hunk-o-cheese right there. Thanks for taking the time.

I've run into a few fitment issues with my replacement pan pieces. Hopefully you won't have any problems, but here's a link to my thread in case anything in there might be of help. Bear in mind this is my first rodeo with both panel replacement and welding, so I'm learning as I go -- there might be better ways to go about fixing things that someone with more experience would know but at least it should help identify some potential areas to keep an eye on.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,129581.0.html
No Problem Midnight_Rider My first rodeo with Pan replacement and Metal resto also. I had to learn to weld too!  :cheers: Started by building my rotisserie!
heres the link to my build.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109796.msg1610702.html#msg1610702