News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ppg f6 bright green formula

Started by mally69, June 23, 2017, 08:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

Does anyone have the PPG paint formula for F6 bright green. Im not thinking this crossfire im messing with is quite the correct color.

pipeliner

I don't know a lot about paint but I can tell you I got 2 samples from PPG Deltron and Shopline in FF4. They had the mix for shopline there at the store but didn't offer it in Deltron so the store called the PPG library and they gave them the original formula in Deltron. The shop line had more metallic in it and was brighter but the Deltron PPG was more close to the original than any other paint I sampled out of 5 other paints.

BDF

I sure wish I had the formulas. It took ages for paint shop to match mine and I dropped off car yesterday & find out the match is still a bit off. To dark & flake to small.
Paint guy asked me if I wanted it to look like a 70's custom.
I told him I did NOT want it looking like a bass-boat.
What are you painting F6?
& GOOD LUCK  :cheers:

mally69

Im trying hard to get the correct f6 color. Impossible.  Im gonna paint my 69 superbee f6.

BDF

Quote from: mally69 on June 26, 2017, 10:55:36 AM
Im trying hard to get the correct f6 color. Impossible.  Im gonna paint my 69 superbee f6.
It does seem to be difficult to get right!
Paint guy had my 1/4 panel cap for 3 months pecking away at it & now they have my whole car.
Your Bee will look awesome when done - worth the wait!  :cheers:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: mally69 on June 23, 2017, 08:55:59 AM
Does anyone have the PPG paint formula for F6 bright green. Im not thinking this crossfire im messing with is quite the correct color.

If you mean the paint code?, it's #2013 or F6 (as coded by Chrysler) PPG's description is Bright Green Poly (Dodge), a mix formula will vary based on the type of paint and mfg you choose, SS, BC/CC, etc, etc

I saw your post on Moparts as well regarding F6, I can relate to your dilemma in finding a candidate in paint, before painting my Daytona F6 I contemplated single stage as original or BC/CC, fortunately for me I was traveling around the US at the time and attended quite a few shows to examine original and restored specimens of F6, while I was going to go with PPG, leaning towards Single Stage, but open to BC/CC, I found the restored cars in PPG single or BC/CC were just too silver in appearance, original cars that I looked at, the factory finish clearly had a gold and silver flop effect depending on the angle or lighting, plus the actual green flopped/flipped several shades depending on the lighting or viewing angle, restored cars using PPG didn't display this effect to well, other than having a high silver metallic brilliance which didn't look right, I looked at and sampled quite a few different offerings from PPG, Hot Hues, Dupont, Spies, RM, HOC, etc,etc... the only one that offered what I felt was a true representation of the color was Dupont Chroma Premier in BC/CC, granted the BC/CC is not correct for a "restored" vehicle, but I'm partial to a glass like showcar finish, rather than the factory orange peel lack luster sheen that single stage offers... plus I was doing painted stripes/panels so I wanted everything buried under clear coat.

As mentioned I used Duponts Chroma Premier, over a Dupont shade value 4, 2K urethane primer,... Dupont's F6 has only one formula mix in BC/CC, no ALTs available

I know you requested some pics under different lighting/angles

DAY CLONA

DAY CLONA

hopefully these pics show the color shift

DAY CLONA

DAY CLONA

DAY CLONA

This pic best represents color shift on a bright day, the blue sky radically alters the color/reflection on the top portions of the car

DAY CLONA

DAY CLONA

DAY CLONA

Keep in mind if you find the mfg/color that your happy with, it can go south with an inexperienced/careless paint mixer, different color primer/sealer bases, spray coverage/technique etc, etc lots of variables effect the finish product, so double check everything and document the application/spray out you intend to do/use, esp if your not painting the car yourself and are relying on someone else..

Goodluck with your project,
Mike

mally69

Awesome car , just noticed these. You have the correct look that i am after.  Between you and the other guy who both used dupont chromabase. Thats def what im going with. Thanks for the pics, def lools different at diff angles and lighting, and thays what i was lookong for.

mally69

What color primer did you use, just for future ref.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: mally69 on June 28, 2017, 06:49:13 AM
What color primer did you use, just for future ref.

I used Dupont products from start to finish, the primer was Dupont's 2K urethane, shade value 4, as recommended by Dupont for use under the F6

pipeliner

Maybe it's just F6 but my F4 Chroma base sample was just like my PPG shopline sample. Way to much Metallic but for some reason that wasn't the case for My PPG Deltron Sample.