News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shift kit?

Started by RogerDodger, June 23, 2017, 08:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerDodger

I need to replace the transmission pan gasket and was thinking about installing a shift kit while I had it open. I did this once many years ago on a 727 behind a 440. I was watching someone on youtube and it seems a bit more than i thought. I don't remember it being that difficult. This is a 904 behind a stock 318. Not sure its worth the effort but you know we car guys like to tinker. Any opinion on whether I should consider one? Tried to search but nothing coming up. Thanks in advance. Roger

ODZKing

Had one put in on my first 73 back in the day. 318/904 same.
Banged through the gears big time!!!   :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

"Shift kits" come in all flavors from the cheap shift improver kits to the plate kits to the reprogramming kits. I wouldn't waste the time money on anything but a reprogramming kit like the Transgo TF-1 or TF-2.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ws23rt

I agree with John.  My perspective comes from my -amateur- several times adding the "Transgo shift kits" when I have never done one before.

I am glad to see John recommend what has served me very well at a reasonable price ---even when money was tight back in the day ;)

The "Tansgo Tf-1 and the Tf-2" Are easy and user-friendly to work with and I had no problems or questions when I did my first one. I liked what they gave me and have done several more since.--all with the results, I expected/hoped to get.

BTW I was never into racing improvements for real competition. --What the Transgo kits gave me is added street driving fun that I could feel and have never had a trans. let me down from some of the crazy stuff I made them do. :lol:

RogerDodger

Thanks guys. I ordered the TF-1.  :cheers:

sixpack_sid

How did the kit work out for you? I'm think of one for my charger.

Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

RogerDodger

Honestly I probably wouldn't do it again if I had the chance. Maybe if I had a big block and more performance. I did the TF-1. Maybe the TF-2 would get better results.

sixpack_sid

Thanks for the fast reply.

Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!