News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Putting a 904 tranny in my Dakota

Started by cooldude, June 23, 2017, 09:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooldude

Ive got a 96 Dakota, and Im on tranny number two or three, I lost count. These trannys have been not very good. All this computer stuff is really getting me down.

Nothing works these days, since they have computerized everything.

I remember the good old days, when the old 904 trannys worked and worked and worked. That was before they got computerized.

The tranny in my dak was based on a 904...so...I wonder just how hard it would be to improve my Dakota by going old school,and putting the 904 in there? Should be roughly the same size, right?

Im thinking old school 318, 904, carbeurator, no computer on anything, etc etc etc.

What do you think. Should work, right?

alfaitalia

....as long as you have no emissions testing in your state! If you have that old carb engine certainly wont pass any current standards.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

John_Kunkel

Not as easy as it might seem. The 904 is much shorter than the OD trans and isn't set up to feed info to the electronics in the truck.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mike DC

I'm surprised you are eating so many trannys.  I drove a '95 Dakota 318 automatic up around 200k miles and never replaced the original.  I junked the truck because it was generally worn out but the tranny never gave any trouble. 

Ryan.C

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 24, 2017, 03:25:47 PM

I'm surprised you are eating so many trannys.  I drove a '95 Dakota 318 automatic up around 200k miles and never replaced the original.  I junked the truck because it was generally worn out but the tranny never gave any trouble. 

I agree with mike. I have 220K on a 2002 Dakota 4.7L with an auto trans, no issues.  :shruggy:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.