News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Turn signal voltage drop

Started by Charge_her, June 27, 2017, 06:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charge_her

Hey all,

Whenever I use my turn signal, my voltage gauge pulses with each blink dropping and then returning by about 1 -2 volts. I don't recall if it's just one of the blinkers that behaves this way -- I'll test later today.

Anyone else have this (is it a normal voltage drop), or is there a short / resistance in the circuit that is causing this to occur.

Thanks!

Edit: 69 Charger. It's an aftermarket autogauge (autometer) electric volt gauge.

lukedukem

Quote from: Charge_her on June 27, 2017, 06:09:41 AM
Hey all,

Whenever I use my turn signal, my voltage gauge pulses with each blink dropping about 1 -2 volts. I don't recall if it's just one of the blinkers that behaves this way -- I'll test later today.

Anyone else have this (is it a normal voltage drop), or is there a short / resistance in the circuit that is causing this to occur.

Thanks!

what year car?
is it a volt gauge or an AMP gauge?

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Charge_her

Sorry, 69 Charger. It's an aftermarket autogauge (autometer) electric volt gauge.

Charge_her

After some testing last night, it seems that both the volt gauge and the oil pressure gauge pulse when the blinkers are on, but the engine/coolant temp gauge in the same cluster does not. Also, it happens with both blinkers.

lukedukem

What happens when you apply the brakes and hold them and it lights up the taillights, does the volt meter stay down or blip down then come back up.
At idle the alternator might not be putting out enough voltage, so try to rev the engine to see if it changes, this happened to me. i hope that makes sense. I'm not sure what alternator you have.
It could just be a bad connection and you might need to go through and clean everything. I'm leaning towards this because you posted in another thread that your gas gauge is inconsistent too, making me think you might need to remove the cluster and go through it.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Charge_her

Thank you. I think you're right on both accounts. When the brake pedal is depressed the meter does drop as well, good call. The alternator is 80 amps, up from stock by 40-45 I think, but I have big cooling fans and its barely enough, especially at night (head lights dim). I'll test the signals while revving, good idea.

The gas gauge itself is probably having issues related to resistance/corrosion/bad connection as you stated. This isn't surprising I guess given that it reads ohms to determine how high the float is in the tank.