News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering column interchange

Started by 73charger440, June 27, 2017, 07:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73charger440

Can someone tell me if a Steering column from a 71 or 72 would work in a 73 charger. I know there's differences in how they look and there's differences in the u joint but didn't know if it would work as a whole unit? 

ODZKing

I checked into this when the rag joint on my 73 went. In the long run it was cheaper and quicker for me to just replace the joint.
But having said that, yes a different year will work but the connecting components will need to be the same. Steering box and up to the shaft. That is the way to do it right.
Nice thing about using a 71 is that was available with tilt if you can find one. My understanding is 75-77 will work as well, but again everything has to change.

73charger440

So having a 73 gear box am I limited to using a 73 steering column? And you have any exsperance replacing the rag joint with a unverisal joint that is welded or pinned in?

ODZKing

Well you can use the 73 box but I believe length and end connection compatibility will be the issue.
My rag joint was in pieces, so I purchased one from Bouchillon. Had to pull the wheel but once we did that, done!

Nacho-RT74

As a direct fit, 73 is a one year piece due the shaft it self ( can talk about the lenght difference but the parts it consist ).

If lenght is the same need to consider the flexibility of the isolated K member won't be accomplished by the 71/72 shaft due the articulation since is just one piece asembly ( that's the reason why the 73 and 74 are more articulated on couple of sections )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html