News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Quarter panel skin replacement

Started by John Milner, June 29, 2017, 10:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Milner

My '68 really needs the driver's side quarter replaced.  It came with an AMD quarter skin when I bought the car.  I am planning on taking this project on in the coming days but just wanted to ask a few questions before I start cutting.  Do I make my cut above the top quarter panel line or below?  I was thinking of cutting it up top and using my flanging tool to make a flange for the new quarter to sit on before I weld.  Also, how do you recommend doing the door jam area?  I wasn't sure if I should use the new quarter's "wrap around" and spot weld to the door jam or make my cut about an inch from the door jam and leave the original "wrap around"  in place.  Any advise or recommendations before I get started? Thanks

Dino

I like to leave as much of the original lines in place if possible so I cut below the top line. I also leave a piece next to the door jamb like you said. I do butt welds though, I don't overlap.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: John Milner on June 29, 2017, 10:55:29 AM
  Any advise or recommendations before I get started? Thanks

Sell the "patch panel" to someone that's ok with "Frankensteining" their car with miles of butt welds, or flanged overlapped joints, do it right and purchased a full rear qtr from AMD, you'll save yourself a lot of work and grief IMHO

alfaitalia

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 29, 2017, 04:05:48 PM

Sell the "patch panel" to someone that's ok with "Frankensteining" their car with miles of butt welds, or flanged overlapped joints, do it right and purchased a full rear qtr from AMD, you'll save yourself a lot of work and grief IMHO

I (and probably lots of other members) disagree with just about everything in that post......but it's late here and I can't be arsed to argue! :icon_smile_big:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

cdr

I agree!!!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Lennard

Quote from: alfaitalia on June 29, 2017, 05:06:10 PM

I (and probably lots of other members) disagree with just about everything in that post......but it's late here and I can't be arsed to argue! :icon_smile_big:
Just as with the always returning question whether acid dipping or media blasting a car is better... there are pros and cons to both, so it just comes down to preference.

hemi-hampton

If you really wanted to do it right buy a NOS 1/4. Might be $5k though. I've noticed aftermarket 1/4's usually have rounded non crisp body lines. especially  where 1/4 meets door or jamb/gap area. In the old days, 20+ years ago I had to weld a bead on this whole edge just to make a nice somewhat pointy body line or edge to make it look right, instead of making it with bondo that would crack. Plus it would usually be high or high spot all along the edge just before it curved into jamb. kinda like a little ski slope or ramp. Just garbage in my opinion. I have not welded on a Charger 1/4 from AMD so can't really comment on there quality. LEON.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 29, 2017, 09:52:35 PM
If you really wanted to do it right buy a NOS 1/4. Might be $5k though. I've noticed aftermarket 1/4's usually have rounded non crisp body lines. especially  where 1/4 meets door or jamb/gap area. In the old days, 20+ years ago I had to weld a bead on this whole edge just to make a nice somewhat pointy body line or edge to make it look right, instead of making it with bondo that would crack. Plus it would usually be high or high spot all along the edge just before it curved into jamb. kinda like a little ski slope or ramp. Just garbage in my opinion. I have not welded on a Charger 1/4 from AMD so can't really comment on there quality. LEON.

Seriously, I have NOS qtrs on my Daytona, they were no better in fit/finish than the AMD full Charger qtrs Ive installed on other Chargers

John Milner

I wouldn't know what to do with a car that wasn't frankensteined a bit. It sounds like I may need to cut below the body line and not get into the door jamb area. That is where I will start cutting. Thanks for the input and recommendations. It is appreciated.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: DAY CLONA on June 29, 2017, 10:09:53 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 29, 2017, 09:52:35 PM

Seriously, I have NOS qtrs on my Daytona, they were no better in fit/finish than the AMD full Charger qtrs Ive installed on other Chargers

No matter what anybody say's about AMD & there has been many complaints from many people in here your going to keep saying how great they are & the best on the market & now as good as any NOS. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

John Milner

Just to follow up, I ended up cutting about an inch below the upper body seam and cutting about an inch from the door jamb.  It really wasn't hard to do and I didn't have any warping to deal with.  Quarter panel skin replacement is done.