News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PhotoBucket now charges $399 for third-party hosted images

Started by cdr, June 30, 2017, 07:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

JB400

Everything has to deal with money. :shruggy: :brickwall: :brickwall:  Special thanks to you Troy for keeping this site the way it is. :cheers:

keepat

Yes 3 days ago they locked out most of the pictures in my Modern Bullitt thread with no warning :-(
Pat

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

VegasCharger

Same here. Just noticed it myself yesterday. Sucks but oh well. I will use TinyPic.com from this point moving forward until they decide to do something.

TinyPic is no picnic either, especially if you don't have an add blocker. Also every other pic you upload you have to enter a code that they provide you. I don't even have an account with them, all I do is upload a pic and it's free for anyone on the web to look at. Then I copy & paste the link and store in a file with the matching pic. Then when I want to retrieve the pic later on, I will copy & paste the link in my address bar and it takes me right to that photo. If you lose the link it would be very hard to find your pic unless you categorize it uniquely in which I do not. I leave my images unnamed, usually I just use the default date/time ID tag for the pic.

In there you will have 4 options for posting pics. HTML, IMG Code, URL and Direct link. As you know in here you use the IMG code. You click on the option you want to use and it automatically highlights the entire link. Then right click, copy and then paste it to it's designation. I've done it, it works. I just checked a pic I posted about two years ago and it's still there. Basically it's just a website link. Like I said I didn't sign up for an account. So it's a free for all for anyone to view. The only way someone's going to view my pics (not that I care anyway) is if someone stumbles upon it while looking at other pics. So I will never post anything sensitive in there. I never did that on PhotoBucket either where I do have an account.

This is not for everyone because there is work involved. You have to be organized saving pic/files/links so that you can retrieve the photos. I'm curious to see how TinyPic would work if you were to register, but I'm not willing to try it just yet. I will piggyback them with the system I have in play. Hopefully not too many PhotoBucket rejects don't overflow TinyPic and then they start changing their ways.

Below is a screenshot of one of my TinyPic pictures to give you an example.

:cheers:

alfaitalia

So pissed off. Every pic Ive ever posted om here is now just that round symbol....bastards!!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

dual fours

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 01, 2017, 02:33:26 AM
So pissed off. Every pic Ive ever posted om here is now just that round symbol....bastards!!!
After you play the game for many years, now you must play their game their way.
I'm glad I have all my photos on memory cards and Kodak paper.
"Lay down your weapon's." "Come, let us help you, we will feed you and care for you." "Now, bend over." Have you heard this one before?
Guess you can't trust some of your "investments" in the hands of others. :flame:  
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

ACUDANUT

Charger_Fan

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 01, 2017, 11:34:40 AM
Blame our own site for having to use photo bucket. :Twocents: :brickwall:
What the hell are you talking about? This site allows attachments.  :slap: For example, have you ever clicked on a thread where Tan Top has posted a bunch of Ebay photos? Troy has graciously allowed attachments here, and speaking for myself, the only reason I don't attach all my photos to this site is because I would rather pay for any photo bandwidth usage myself, by using a host site. Chances are, many others feel the same & that's why they went with PB in the first place.
If they had known that PB was going to pull such a dick move such as this, chances are they would have gone to a different host site.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparstuart

Quote from: Charger_Fan on July 01, 2017, 12:02:15 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 01, 2017, 11:34:40 AM
Blame our own site for having to use photo bucket. :Twocents: :brickwall:
What the hell are you talking about? This site allows attachments.  :slap: For example, have you ever clicked on a thread where Tan Top has posted a bunch of Ebay photos? Troy has graciously allowed attachments here, and speaking for myself, the only reason I don't attach all my photos to this site is because I would rather pay for any photo bandwidth usage myself, by using a host site. Chances are, many others feel the same & that's why they went with PB in the first place.
If they had known that PB was going to pull such a dick move such as this, chances are they would have gone to a different host site.
yes and i realize picture size is expensive but this site is archaic and backwards in the un-user friendly way to post pictures  , most other sites are easy and you dont have to rename and resize every freaking time you try to post a picture  . Im probable the worst offender with over 26,000 posts of  real pictures right on the site , but they are all my photos and all still here . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Troy

If you guys pay me $399 per year (each) I will let you post as many pictures in any size that you want! I'll even make it stupidly simple. These days the problem is not bandwidth - it's storage space and limitations of our software. I can upgrade both. An extra $50k per year or so would easily solve that problem. I'll take money in whatever format you want to send it in. Photobucket got $20 million in cash and they're doing this so be generous.

This isn't the first annoying change at Photobucket so it shouldn't really be a surprise. A while back they deleted all accounts with 6 months of "inactivity" (meaning the user hadn't logged in even if their files were being viewed). The last year their site has been painful and almost unusable due to the ads and other nonsense running while trying to browse/upload files. I literally can't search for old pictures without my browser hanging. Apparently it's the default storage for Twitter accounts too so if you use that app you may want to check. The Wikipedia page mentions that anywhere from 200 million to a billion picture links are now broken on forums and Twitter.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

INTMD8

Quote from: Troy on July 01, 2017, 01:31:17 PM
The last year their site has been painful and almost unusable due to the ads and other nonsense running while trying to browse/upload files. I literally can't search for old pictures without my browser hanging.

Yes, it's been extremely aggravating to use for a while now. This $399 shakedown is the last bit of motivation I needed to delete my account.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

moparstuart

Quote from: Troy on July 01, 2017, 01:31:17 PM
If you guys pay me $399 per year (each) I will let you post as many pictures in any size that you want! I'll even make it stupidly simple. These days the problem is not bandwidth - it's storage space and limitations of our software. I can upgrade both. An extra $50k per year or so would easily solve that problem. I'll take money in whatever format you want to send it in. Photobucket got $20 million in cash and they're doing this so be generous.

This isn't the first annoying change at Photobucket so it shouldn't really be a surprise. A while back they deleted all accounts with 6 months of "inactivity" (meaning the user hadn't logged in even if their files were being viewed). The last year their site has been painful and almost unusable due to the ads and other nonsense running while trying to browse/upload files. I literally can't search for old pictures without my browser hanging. Apparently it's the default storage for Twitter accounts too so if you use that app you may want to check. The Wikipedia page mentions that anywhere from 200 million to a billion picture links are now broken on forums and Twitter.

Troy

I appreciate all you do and know you hate the thought of taking money  , I also love the no  pop ups and no ads and that your are beholding to any advertisers  , But i know i speak for many we would love to pay 20 or 50 bucks a year to be a member of the Dc.com club and help you  :Twocents: I know thats not all the answers but it will help and any upgrades would be a plus
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Homerr

Dropbox... Google...  many places to use for free that I control the pics instead of asshats like photobucket.

VegasCharger

I don't get it. DC.com allows you to post up to 4 pics per post. So what's the problem??? If you need to post more then 4 pics, just follow up on another reply and viola you got 4 more pics to post. Lather rinse repeat. So what if you got to do some resizing and renaming it's NOT that FN hard. :brickwall: :brickwall: Use your default program called PAINT.

Johnnymopar

I had not been on pb for a while.  The site was super slow in loading, ads popping up like no tomorrow.  Deleted all my pics and closed the account.  Thanks for the heads up guys.   :Twocents:

alfaitalia

Quote from: VegasCharger on July 01, 2017, 11:47:19 PM
I don't get it. DC.com allows you to post up to 4 pics per post. So what's the problem??? If you need to post more then 4 pics, just follow up on another reply and viola you got 4 more pics to post. Lather rinse repeat. So what if you got to do some resizing and renaming it's NOT that FN hard. :brickwall: :brickwall: Use your default program called PAINT.

All of which takes ten times longer than pasting a link from Photobucket with a single click.....and even then half the time it doesn't load for some spurious reason...pic to big...name already used...etc etc.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Homerr

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 02, 2017, 04:30:44 AM

All of which takes ten times longer than pasting a link from Photobucket with a single click.....and even then half the time it doesn't load for some spurious reason...pic to big...name already used...etc etc.

also, tan_top has taken all the unique cool photo names like:

chargerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.jpg
asdffasdfadfasfsafaf.jpg
qwertyuuuuuuuu23940.jpg

JB400

It takes me about 2 minutes to use paint to resize pix, plus if you use todays' date as a file name, you won't have to worry about renaming photos.

hemi-hampton

Seen that coming over 10+ years ago, surprised it took them this long to do it. LEON.

tan top

yeah not supprised , get every one  hooked or using or doing something for free , while getting things set up & the population use to using it    , then  start charging  .....  I can see once the whole world is relying on the internet  , all books / directories /  printed matter gone etc , then  google / yahoo etc  start charging a nominal amount to use their search engine ,  every one having an on line account  & charged per search or yearly subscription  :brickwall:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bakerhillpins

Troy can probably speak to this but most of the other forums I use upload any size pic and automatically name/resize that to the forums limits. Troy has his reasons for not upgrading and I don't know if the never versions of SMF have this plugin but it would eliminate all this BS. Though it would probably up Troy's storage requirements.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Nacho-RT74

the only headache I find positing pics on here is the name. Its a lottery LOL, easy to solve thought. Otherwise I'm happy with what we got.

You can predict the size attachment will fit or not clicking on properties of the attachment and editing if required before try to upload, but not the name LOL.

I never have being a guy who use image hosting websites, but latelly found this what I think is pretty much nice

https://postimage.io

Ad free ( by now ) and easy to use.

Never liked photobucket. No matter if you copied the direct image link, allway took to the photobucket website frame instead just load the image on the browser when clicking the link
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html