News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

building vs buying

Started by 1974dodgecharger, July 01, 2017, 11:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

I have realized buying a car and plastidip the rims and whole car is the way to go vs building one......rant over!

Kern Dog

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 01, 2017, 11:01:25 PM
I have realized buying a car and plastidip the rims and whole car is the way to go vs building one......rant over!

No. INCORRECT ! Thanks for playing....

alfaitalia

I was planning to buy a rusty hulk and start from there......cost of panels and import time to the UK killed that idea. Although purchasing a basically solid car with a shot motor cost me rather more (about double) than the rusty car with a good drive train that was the alternative. I'm going my own way motor wise so the knackered engine was no issue. I still had a fair bit of patching to do and even patching on previous patching!.......but its still more original than changing lots of panels to inferior and expensive aftermarket ones with the poor body lines. No matching No,s to worry about either.
At the end of the day (about 2025 at my current rate!) I will be able to say I built it myself, exactly how I wanted it. It will never be worth what I put into it (especially here in the UK where the following is much smaller).....but since I plan for my son to inherit it...who cares! I will drive it with pride....knowing that I've done EVERYTHING myself (except the paint......not prepared to invest in equipment I might never use again). I used to have a "Built...NOT Bought" sticker on my modded Grand Cherokee....and that applies even more to my 69.

.....but yes....if you can find a car that's built/finished to somewhere near how you want....it WILL be far cheaper that doing it yourself.....just as long as you don't buy from one of the sellers in the "delusional sellers" thread!!! Cus although they cant see it...you will never recoup the money you spent building it unless its very rare and perfectly original....even then its doubtful. :2thumbs:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 01, 2017, 11:01:25 PM

Sorry... you're mistaken.      The kids hydro-dip the rims then get the car wrapped in vinyl. 

After that they get some shitty window tint job and a straight pipe.

Then they pay for VIP at some tuner show  :coolgleamA:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

alfaitalia

Just saw the results of a friends dash being hydrodipped in carbon. Not for me but pretty darn amazing how it follows every contour of such a complex shape. Check hydrodipping out on the tube of you!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

taxspeaker

This is a new term to me:what is hydro dip, and who is doing it to what?

JR

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 08, 2017, 02:45:21 PM
This is a new term to me:what is hydro dip, and who is doing it to what?

Hydrographics. Really cool stuff. It allows you to print a graphic on almost any surface, almost any shape. Grilles/wheels/dash inserts, whatever. It's also popular in modifying firearms.

https://youtu.be/enFSoiCo-lA

Here's a Glock getting done.

https://youtu.be/7YatFSGjRMo

You can lay down whatever basecoats you want under it for a more Custom look. It opens up a whole ton of options.

https://youtu.be/Bc0rfGRv3xg

Its more of a custom thing than a restoration thing, but I have seen it used to simulate woodgrain on interior panels before.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

71_Charger_R/T

Hydro-dip and Plasti-dip are two totally different animals!  "Hydro-dip" is dipping something in a water tank that has a printed graphic film floating on the surface which then adheres to whatever is dunked into it. (simplified version) And "plasti-dip" is the process of spraying Plasti dip (the same product used to dip tool handles in to give them a rubber like grip) on your car. Its actually been used by some to protect their car's paint while in storage as it can be pealed off when desired.

morepower

hydrodipping is cool. plasti dipping done right isn't bad. but eh.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105