News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Plymouth Rail Engine

Started by taxspeaker, July 04, 2017, 07:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

This is a really weird question. I live about 1 mile from the old Indiana Army Ammunition plant where ammunition was made for several years, through and including Vietnam. This is a huge plant that is slowly being turned into an Amazon hotbed with a major distribution center here, less than 10 minutes to UPS world air freight headquarters out of Louisville. One of the old warehouses has seven, yes 7 Plymouth rail engine car switcher small locomotives and I have the opportunity to buy them. All are in excellent condition as old US Army items from the early 1990's with less than 2 years of actual use. They have been stored inside for 20 years.

Does anyone have any idea what something like this might be worth, and even more importantly how you would move them? I have a storage facility I could put them in.

Yes I know this is not car a car, but it is a Plymouth!

Thanks
Bob

Mytur Binsdirti

I'm no expert, but I would think that it would cost more to move one than what it would be worth as scrap metal.

JB400

I'd contact someone that moves houses for a living.

You might get by, by using a lowboy trailer used for hauling track hoes and D9 dozers.  You'd just have to do some weight comparisons to know for sure.

What would you do with them anyway? :popcrn:

http://americanindustrialmining.com/plymouth-locomotive-works

taxspeaker

I would resell all but 1. Want to keep 1 to push around the dead weight at work.

70 sublime

By the time you pay to move them off the tracks to your place and then same truck would have to move them for the next guy you might be better off to buy them and try to store the ones you are selling where they sit and sell them from there

Model trains are my other hobby  ;)

Have you seen this web site ??

http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds/ListingsL.php

Give you an idea on some prices

http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds/classified.php?id=11783

Look like this one ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70 sublime

6bblgt

you are aware it has nothing to do with Chrysler Corp., correct?

J.Bond

When you have all your info, drop me a line. As for my avatar, That's our old locomotive. I have a few clients that run a small sight seeing passenger service out of Orangeville, called the Credit Valley Explorer.  It's a joint operation between the town of Orangeville and Cando. My clients own several cars and are always interested in old stuff. Had a 1949 Budd Dome car for the past several years, just finished a 1974 caboose and still have a Budd dining car.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 04, 2017, 07:18:49 PM
Yes I know this is not car a car, but it is a Plymouth!

Like 6bblgt said, no relation to Chrysler Corporation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Locomotive_Works
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

taxspeaker

Yeah guys I know it is not Chrysler ;)

The logistics make this too difficult it looks like. The auction is Saturday if you are interested-I am going to buy some shop equipment but not the locomotives. Here is the link. http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2916966

70 sublime

Would be curious how much they do sell for if you are around when that happens  :2thumbs:

Todd Wilson

They probably weigh around 50k lbs give or take.  They will probably not be worth much as moving them will be costly. Most would a museum piece at best. We have a grain elevator here that has one and its been used for loading grain for a lot of years. ABout 15 years or so they replaced the engine with a diesel. Recently they have retired it and pushed it to the end of their track out of the way and are using the new yellow type of mule/tugs to move the rail cars. The new units have tires that raise up and down so they can move them off the track and drive them to the other side. Lots easier and more versatile.

As others say  a low boy semi could move one with no problems. You would have to have a crane there to lift on and another to lift off and probably have a permit for the weight. It would be costly to load each one and haul away.

Todd

taxspeaker

Todd Wilson

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 08, 2017, 09:36:58 AM
3500 each

They went cheep for that price but it would probably cost a lot to move em!

Todd

taxspeaker

c00nhunterjoe

I would love to have one in my back yard along with a caboose. I am a bit of a train nut....

taxspeaker

None of them had run in twenty years and you needed your own way to get them on something to haul them out, with 3 days to do it. Not much bidding on them even though 200 at the auction.

I bid on a all terrain tenex fork lift but quit at 20k, it went for 22.5k was worth 44-50k with 900 hours. But it weighed 6 tons and my car flat trailer would not have hauled it. That was the best deal. A bunch of other good industrial stuff at decent prices, but the rest of the vehicles sold near retail.