News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

headers

Started by 68restoration, July 06, 2017, 07:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68restoration

Hello, I'm wanting to put a set of headers on the 68 dodge Charger that I'm working on. It has a 383 and automatic trans.I don't want to use the full length headers. Has anyone on here used the shortie block huger type headers and had good success with doing it ? If so can you give me some information such as - brand / type , part number , were you bought them (summit racing,jegs,etc.) and did you have to change your starter to a "mini starter" ? I'm wanting to order a set but I'm not sure which ones will work the best. Any and all information will be greatly appreicated. Thanks

dodgey68

i fitted the TTi  shorty headers, fitted great easy to install, I even fitted a smaller  hi torque starter  as original was dying,, all done with motor in the car and bugger all stuffing around to make fit ,,
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

Laowho

+1 on TTI shorties, but they only come in 1 3/4" far as I know and if it matters, and even state at their site that you gotta use a RobbMc(?) mini-starter.

68restoration

thanks for the info, i will pull their site up and see what they have. thanks

68restoration

Laowho and dodgey68, I went on the TTI website and put in 68 charger with 383 and the only one it shows me is the  " Patriot " brand tight tuck street rod header, Item number  231067851  at $ 286.91 Is this the one you are talking about ? Thanks for your help! 

68restoration

My fault, but i went back to the TTI site and I realaized that it had directed me to a different site when I first looked. Now I'm on the right page. The TTI brand start at $550.00 a set and go up to $673.00 a set, but these look like they should fit pretty good. thanks !

68CoronetRT

Just installed TTI headers and an X pipe last week. Money well spent! Fitment was amazing! Only dinged 1 tube and that's probably because I have larger T bars.

c00nhunterjoe

I have the tt1 raised port, 2 1/8 step tubes with .990 bars and everything cleared perfectly. Im even using studs in my heads. Have lots of pictures but photobucket stopped that.

JR

I used ceramic coated hooker shorty headers. PN# 78076 Got em from Summit.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/HED-78076

They require a mini starter. (I already had one so no big deal.)

I had to put a moderate sized dent in the #2 tube on the passenger side, and some tiny ones around the steering box, but overall, they fit pretty well. Especially for the low cost compared to other options.

I weighed them and they took 20lbs off the nose of the car, and they actually make spark plugs access a little easier than the HP manifolds. (In my particular case atleast.)

The only catch I had was because the tubes route different than the manifolds, clearance is tight between the passenger shock tower and the header. I had to install a torque strap on the driver side to stop the header from bumping into the shock tower when I revved it.

Overall, I'm happy with them. I would post a pic, but Photobucket went full retard recently.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

68CoronetRT

randy73

Quote from: JR on July 09, 2017, 03:48:43 PM
I used ceramic coated hooker shorty headers. PN# 78076 Got em from Summit.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/HED-78076

They require a mini starter. (I already had one so no big deal.)

I had to put a moderate sized dent in the #2 tube on the passenger side, and some tiny ones around the steering box, but overall, they fit pretty well. Especially for the low cost compared to other options.

I weighed them and they took 20lbs off the nose of the car, and they actually make spark plugs access a little easier than the HP manifolds. (In my particular case atleast.)

The only catch I had was because the tubes route different than the manifolds, clearance is tight between the passenger shock tower and the header. I had to install a torque strap on the driver side to stop the header from bumping into the shock tower when I revved it.

Overall, I'm happy with them. I would post a pic, but Photobucket went full retard recently.

Just have to say, your setup scares me from the moderate size dent to the shock tower hitting.

JR

Once I installed the torque strap to limit engine movement, they never hit again. Im probably making it sound worse than it is in the interest of full disclosure.

I have no complaints with them. I would buy them again. 

I'll post a link to my Photobucket since I can't hotlink it anymore.

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u364/jrh1983/IMG_20170509_182429122_zpsu10xiu7o.jpg

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u364/jrh1983/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20161026_121635981_HDR_zpskh8afcff.jpg
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Kern Dog

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on July 09, 2017, 02:27:01 PM
Just installed TTI headers and an X pipe last week. Money well spent! Fitment was amazing! Only dinged 1 tube and that's probably because I have larger T bars.
They do make great stuff but HOLY shit are they expensive.
They are really only "money well spent" compared to the frustration you have with cheaper headers.