News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crossmember

Started by PrisonHack, July 08, 2017, 08:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrisonHack

Or all B-body front cross members the same/interchangeable ?

70 sublime

For the torsion bars ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Troy

Quote from: PrisonHack on July 08, 2017, 08:53:10 AM
Or all B-body front cross members the same/interchangeable ?
No. But depending on year there may be few differences. Can you be more specific?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

PrisonHack

Sorry, I mean for instance would say a 68' coronet k member bolt up to a 69' charger? How much difference in front suspensions is there between b-body cars big block same as small block that sort of thing. If you were piece mealing a car together what is interchangeable.

Troy

I believe 68-69 they're all the same except Hemi (and maybe Slant Six?). For 1970, similar, except the sway bar goes through the k-frame and mounts differently. You can physically put a 70 on an earlier car (and vice versa) but you need the other stuff with it. I really don't know anything about other years.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

PrisonHack

Thanks that's what I was looking for. I'm just trying to research and learn what crosses over and such. I appreciate it Troy.

Mike DC

You mean the K-member/K-frame?  The "crossmember" is usually a term for the big unibody rail under the driver's feet, or else the smaller bolt-on piece that goes in the middle of it.
-------

K-frames (1966-72):

They mostly varied because of the engines.  Each of the 3 families (slant-6, all regular V8s from 273-440, and Hemi) had their own style of mounts and will not interchange.  

The only real suspension changes were the swaybar setup.  Some cars had them, some didn't.  You can add the swaybar onto a base model K-frame with drilling a few holes.  But the 1968/69 swaybar setup was all different (no interchanging) from 1970-72, including the swaybar mounts on the lower control arms.  

-------

The 1973-later cars made the big switch to rubber-cushioned K-frames.  These started using different K-frames for small-V8s and big-V8s.  Pretty much nothing on those cars will interchange with anything earlier. 

PrisonHack

Sorry I did use the wrong terminology, I meant K Frame. So Mike your saying any not hemi V8 k member from 66-69 are interchangeable?

BLK 68 R/T

Any not hemi or slant 6.

Mike DC

QuoteSorry I did use the wrong terminology, I meant K Frame. So Mike your saying any not hemi V8 k member from 66-69 are interchangeable?

Any non-Hemi V8 car from '66-69 should physically interchange AFAIK.  Just swaybar differences.  

-----------------

If you are swapping around K-frames then you should check over the one you intend to use for cracks & welds breaking.  After 50 years they can be metal-fatiguing in a few common places.  The lower control arm mounting tubes are a weak spot (the tubes' attachment to the vertical walls of the K-frame leg).  The steering gearbox & arm mounts can benefit from stiffening.  

This whole subject has been covered many times.  Search the net.  

BLK 68 R/T

/6 k frames are different than the rest. So there are 3 styles - /6, Hemi, and all other V8.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 08, 2017, 11:40:43 AM

You mean the K-member/K-frame?  The "crossmember" is usually a term for the big unibody rail under the driver's feet, or else the smaller bolt-on piece that goes in the middle of it.

The factory calls it "Crossmember, front suspension". K-member is a common term due to its shape.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mike DC

QuoteThe factory calls it "Crossmember, front suspension". K-member is a common term due to its shape.

Yeah I know.  I was just covering the common terms that people use for stuff now.