News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What grease to use for steering parts? Also fast ratio arms questions.

Started by Dino, July 08, 2017, 09:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I have Proforged ball joints and tie rods, and the stock pitman arm and idler arm. What type of grease should I use? Some of the Proforged parts already have some clear grease in there but it looks like it needs more. I usually use synthetic Super Lube on other parts of the car. Not sure if that's the way to go here. I don't have a grease gun either. Any cheap ones available that work well?

About the pitman and idler arm... They are stock and in good shape but I'm not sure if I should keep these or get the fast ratio stuff. Anyone running these that doesn't like it? I never found the steering to be an issue on these cars so I'd love to hear why the fast ratio stuff is better.

If I keep the stock arms then I'll need some type of bushing or foam washer for the idler arm. The kit I bought a while back had a single foam washer instead of two. I'm not even sure what the heck those washers are supposed to do. Is there something better out there that I can use?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dino on July 08, 2017, 09:05:00 AM
If I keep the stock arms then I'll need some type of bushing or foam washer for the idler arm. The kit I bought a while back had a single foam washer instead of two. I'm not even sure what the heck those washers are supposed to do. Is there something better out there that I can use?

I just replaced the idler arm in my 69 and it would only fit 1 foam washer. Was a bit of a bear getting the dam thing in there too. I believe the washer is to help with shock absorption. I wouldn't shim it with metal if that's what you're asking.

On the grease side of things, I just used the standard over the counter molly stuff I have in my el-cheapo hand pump gun (I bought the gun years ago and don't recall where). I added more to all my new joints, just enough that you could see the rubber boot swell a bit.  :Twocents:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Mike DC

I wish somebody was making a set of 14:1 pitman & idlers (in between the OEM stock and OEM fast ratio) for the stock steering box. 

The upside of faster ratios is obvious.  Less cranking the wheel on turns.  Fun for handling.  Crucial for aggressive stuff like drifting.   

The downside of faster ratios is that they demand you keep the steering wheel more precisely centered all the time as you roll straight ahead.  With the slow-ratio arms you can steer more "lazily" on the highway. 

But the OEM fast ratio is nothing too terrible in this regard.  It's hardly faster than the stock ratio in a lot of Z-28s & Trans Ams in the 1970s-80s.   

Dino

Yeah I'm not sure I even want a faster ratio. I've never had an issue with the steering ratio and I do drive a lot of long straight roads. I better leave it alone. I can always change it later if I want to.

I never even looked at the idler arm and washer. I know I had two on there before because I still have them. I just don't see what the point of them is unless it's simply to keep the grease in the arm and dirt out. I wasn't planning on shimming anything no.

With the Moog offset bushings it seems the the angle of the upper ball joint to the spindle is fairly sharp. It makes the ball joint boot kinda squished. Did that happen to anyone elses?

cdr

Quote from: Dino on July 09, 2017, 07:18:06 PM
Yeah I'm not sure I even want a faster ratio. I've never had an issue with the steering ratio and I do drive a lot of long straight roads. I better leave it alone. I can always change it later if I want to.

I never even looked at the idler arm and washer. I know I had two on there before because I still have them. I just don't see what the point of them is unless it's simply to keep the grease in the arm and dirt out. I wasn't planning on shimming anything no.

With the Moog offset bushings it seems the the angle of the upper ball joint to the spindle is fairly sharp. It makes the ball joint boot kinda squished. Did that happen to anyone elses?

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

bakerhillpins

Clarification, the new Moog idler arm I got only came with 1 washer and I don't recall how many the old had. Ah, retaining grease and no dirt, that's probably more likely.

So mine was really squished too until the suspension was put back under load.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Dino

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 10, 2017, 12:56:57 PM

Clarification, the new Moog idler arm I got only came with 1 washer and I don't recall how many the old had. Ah, retaining grease and no dirt, that's probably more likely.

So mine was really squished too until the suspension was put back under load.

Oh duh! Didn't even think about the suspension hanging right ow. Yeah that might fix the squished boot!   :lol:

I do not understand this idler arm thing. I googled a few and some of them have washers and rubber instead of foam, others just have foam. There's not even a boot on the idler to steering link but I got a spare tie rod boot so it's getting that!

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dino on July 10, 2017, 12:59:58 PM
I do not understand this idler arm thing. I googled a few and some of them have washers and rubber instead of foam, others just have foam. There's not even a boot on the idler to steering link but I got a spare tie rod boot so it's getting that!

I think the boot is left off of the idler because it's inverted and it would collect crap?  Guess that doesn't make sense because the pitman arm does have one.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Dino

Quote from: bakerhillpins on July 10, 2017, 01:05:40 PM
Quote from: Dino on July 10, 2017, 12:59:58 PM

I think the boot is left off of the idler because it's inverted and it would collect crap?  Guess that doesn't make sense because the pitman arm does have one.

I think the originals had a shallow seal that does the same as the boot. Now all you get is the damn foam washers. Make that washer because I only got one!

Dino

Don't tell me I have to spend $40+ just to get the seals I need.... yeah you're gonna tell me anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222573829836