News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Almost painting time, need replacement weatherstrip, gaskets, and seals

Started by aifilaw, July 12, 2017, 09:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aifilaw

It's been a long road,  :brickwall:
But the car is in primer, now for another thousand hours of blocking and it will be ready to paint. Most of the exposed gaskets/seals are all dry-rot.
google searches have turned up a couple options, I'd like to know how everyone else got their replacement rubber parts? I don't need to replace the window seals, they are in good shape under the chrome, and they will likely get replaced when/if I ever replace the glass.

I saw this kit:

https://www.weatherstripspecial.com/dodge-charger-weatherstrip.php
This weatherstripping kit contains the right and left door seals, right and left roof rail seals, right and left quarter window seals, trunk seal and black weatherstrip adhesive.

But it's leaving out a lot, I'm not sure if it comes with the window channel weather strip. I like this website, I'll have to piece meal select each item I need, and they are VERY expensive....
https://www.jimsautoparts.com/weatherstripping.htm

and it looks like no matter what I should probably order this:
https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/b-body-1972-72-dodge-charger-base-paint-exterior-gasket-set/
As it has things none of the other websites have, and is only $50:
Parking / turn signal light gaskets
Antenna gasket
Side marker gaskets
Door lock gaskets
(4) rolls of drip rail/weatherstrip channel seal (NOT rubber weatherstrip)
Trunk lock gasket
License plate light gasket
Taillight gaskets
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

aifilaw

randy73

I used weatherstrip special for my vette, everything was perfect.

Used detroit muscle for my chargers turn signal gaskets, they were the stock foam ones and was not to impressed with them, I ordered from Jim's once, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what.

randy73

Hey, when you get done sanding your car and feel like doing more sanding, I will gladly feed you beer to help me with mine.    :icon_smile_big:

aifilaw

I'm sure that people have said this before, but I'm not even done yet (haven't even started sanding the primer) and I never, ever, ever, ever want to do paint or body work again.

Lennard

Quote from: aifilaw on July 13, 2017, 02:11:23 PM
I'm sure that people have said this before, but I'm not even done yet (haven't even started sanding the primer) and I never, ever, ever, ever want to do paint or body work again.
:lol:

randy73

LMAO, me too!!

six-tee-nine

Hahaha.... I said that long time ago after I finished the car before the Charger. And I was stupid enough to start over again with the Charger. I think its a case of being anal about stuff. I want a car that doesn't have the screw-ups in the body work of the previous one.
The more you do yourself, the more faults you tend to track down. I'm blocking my primer at this point also and hoping to close the chapter of that sh*tty work by the end of this year, but the more I sand the more tiny faults I tend to find. I almost get the idea that i'm getting more and more anal about this bodywork after every hour I spend on it.

I know the painter will have to give the bodywork a final look, but I always have that "what if he oversees this or that spot" and I end up with a stupid detail wich is gonna annoy me every time I look at the car.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

69bfan

In purchasing weatherstripping for any car, I would suggest using your original door, roofrail, end caps and u-jamb seals.  We have been involved for over 28 years providing weatherstripping to the  public and other vendors.    All of the mentioned seals have their own distinct issues.  Sure they will work, but they will require some tweaking.  When purchasing kits from one manufacture, you will find that the door seals may be ok, but the roofrail will not even allow the door glass to roll up into the seal properly.  That is why we do not actually put together a kit from one manufacture as their are infinite possibilities on what works and what the customer may need.  Also, many people are not aware of how many seals are on a car.  Basically, we provide most customers doing a complete restoration all of the following gaskets.  Again it can differ based on year model and body type.  Hood to radiator seal, hood to cowl seal, headlight seals, frame rail seals, top inner upper frame seal, rear vertical seal, door hinge seal, door seals, end cap seal, roofrail seal, quarter window seal, u-jamb seal, window felts, trunk weatherstrip, body to bumper seal, firewall gasket kit and a paint gasket kit. 
Weatherstripping also should not be something that you cut corners on.  For example, most people will purchase the more popular and cheaper roofrail seals even though I tell them that there will be issues.  The better quality pieces are 88% more expensive, yet the majority of the people will tell me to give them the cheaper ones.  The window felts are the same thing.  Top Cat felts are as close to OEM as you will find.  Depending upon vendor, the difference in pricing between the Top Cat felts and the others on the market will be around 15%. 
If anyone should have any questions or concerns, drop me a message.  I will attempt to answer any and all questions.  For those attending the Mopar Nats, we will have an extensive selection of weatherstripping for you to check out.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

v21hemicharger

And whatever you do never order from Jim's.  I never have but everyone on mopar forums say to run and to google the poor customer service and prices.  Your hard work will pay off and you will be able to say you did it.  What color are you going with?  Mike

aifilaw

I actually had to get something from all three (including Jim's), they were the only ones who had the felt outside window weatherstrip. I didn't have any issues with them, shipping was fairly quick and the parts look good (not sure if they fit yet, but won't find out until its painted and time to install them).

B5 Blue metallic

aifilaw

Paints done...now to put it back together with all those seals...

Bronzedodge

Agreed!  Bought a few things at Carlisle, very good to deal with.
Mopar forever!

69bfan

Thanks guys for the kind comments.  We try to offer the best parts that we can find and many of the parts are actually made through the business that I am involved with.  Our passion is to make a product that we would use on our own cars.  "Aifilaw" you can private message me and I will try to assist in getting the Charger back on the road.  Like you stated, I would try to reuse as much as possible.  Door seals, roof rail seals, door end cap seals, u-jamb seals and hood to radiator seals can many times be cleaned up and reused.  That is a $200 plus savings right there and the fit will be better than any of the reproduction pieces that we offer.  Other items like trunk weatherstrip, tail lamp bezel seals, door lock gaskets will have to be basically replaced.  Some items fit better than others.  Unlike some vendors, we have several restoration shops that we work with on a daily basis to insure that the parts we manufacture and sell will meet our standards and those of the fellow hobbyist. 
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

CDN72SE

Quote from: aifilaw on October 17, 2017, 12:56:41 PM
Paints done...now to put it back together with all those seals...

Very Nice! I will be following along for the re-assembly.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

gtx6970

Quote from: 69bfan on July 28, 2017, 08:46:48 AM
In purchasing weatherstripping for any car, I would suggest using your original door, roofrail, end caps and u-jamb seals.  We have been involved for over 28 years providing weatherstripping to the  public and other vendors.    All of the mentioned seals have their own distinct issues.  Sure they will work, but they will require some tweaking.  When purchasing kits from one manufacture, you will find that the door seals may be ok, but the roofrail will not even allow the door glass to roll up into the seal properly.  That is why we do not actually put together a kit from one manufacture as their are infinite possibilities on what works and what the customer may need.  Also, many people are not aware of how many seals are on a car.  Basically, we provide most customers doing a complete restoration all of the following gaskets.  Again it can differ based on year model and body type.  Hood to radiator seal, hood to cowl seal, headlight seals, frame rail seals, top inner upper frame seal, rear vertical seal, door hinge seal, door seals, end cap seal, roofrail seal, quarter window seal, u-jamb seal, window felts, trunk weatherstrip, body to bumper seal, firewall gasket kit and a paint gasket kit. 
Weatherstripping also should not be something that you cut corners on.  For example, most people will purchase the more popular and cheaper roofrail seals even though I tell them that there will be issues.  The better quality pieces are 88% more expensive, yet the majority of the people will tell me to give them the cheaper ones.  The window felts are the same thing.  Top Cat felts are as close to OEM as you will find.  Depending upon vendor, the difference in pricing between the Top Cat felts and the others on the market will be around 15%. 
If anyone should have any questions or concerns, drop me a message.  I will attempt to answer any and all questions.  For those attending the Mopar Nats, we will have an extensive selection of weatherstripping for you to check out.

This right here.

Every single weatherstrip for the 1968 Charger I just finished came from Richard.

aifilaw

haha, I like how all the helpful comments with where to get seals comes 3 months after the request and purchase from other vendors :)

re-assembly is going well. I guess I should take more pictures as I go, but maybe that should all be in another thread.

chrome trim and new trim clips were a huge pain in the butt, nervous wreck after putting them in from fear of scratching the paint.

Lennard

Quote from: aifilaw on October 23, 2017, 08:51:02 AM
haha, I like how all the helpful comments with where to get seals comes 3 months after the request and purchase from other vendors :)
The topic title still says: "need replacement weatherstrip, gaskets, and seals"