News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake fluid to use?

Started by green69rt, July 16, 2017, 03:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

I at the point that I need to bench bleed the MC on my new brake system.  69 Charger with power front disc/rear drum.

Question is what fluid to use.  Glycol or silicon?   The system is new from front to back so this is the time to decide and I don't think I can go back if I pick wrong.  My first inclination is to just go with the standard DOT4 stuff.  Options I can think about are DOT5.1 or DOT5 (silicone.)   I don't think I want to consider DOT3.  I kind of dread saying this but "any opinions".

Mopar Nut

I used dot4 on my new 4 disc brakes, this was recommended by Baer brakes too.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

cdr

I use the dot5, work great & wont remove paint if spilled.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Charger RT

i put dot 5 in my charger 15 years ago no issues
Tim

alfaitalia

Just make sure you don't mix the different types....even the silicone 5.0 and the 5.1 version don't mix.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

green69rt

So off I go to O'Reilly and Autozone to buy some DOT 5.0 fluid.  At both places, I got really blank looks :eek2: then the person said " I don't know 5.0."  Looked around in the stores on neither had any on the shelves.  Only 3.0 and 4.0.  Finally found one little bottle of 5.1 in the hydraulic fluids section but not next to the other brake fluids.  

So I ended up with DOT 4.0.  I think it's compatible with 5.0 if I want to swap out in the future.  Probably won't.

I really miss the old HiLo auto parts stores in Houston.   They got bought by O'Reilly, I think.  They seemed to know all the answers.

alfaitalia

DOT 5.0 is silicone based and most DEFINATELY not compatible with DOT4 or 3 which are glycol based. All the old fluid must be flushed out if you want to change from one to the other.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

green69rt

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 25, 2017, 09:53:06 AM
DOT 5.0 is silicone based and most DEFINATELY not compatible with DOT4 or 3 which are mineral based. All the old fluid must be flushed out if you want to change from one to the other.

Oops, got it backward.  5.0 is silicon, 5.1 is glycol base as are 3 and 4.  But according to WIkipedia, even 5.1 can have up to 70 silicone.  I think I'll just stick with the 4 for now.

cdr

I by mine from Orielly in Katy, Gunk makes it  :shruggy:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr