News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 speed shifter mechanism rebuild???

Started by 69wannabe, July 16, 2017, 10:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

My shifter mechanism has been acting up lately when going from 2nd to 3rd quickly. It hangs a bit and I have to pull it back slightly and then push it into third gear. It used to go into third good and then it got to hanging some but I figured out that when I would slow down to stop if I went to third then second then to first gear it didn't seem to hang as bad. The transmission is good since I just had it gone through a few years back and the shift lever's are tight so I figure the mechanism is worn or something.

So who is the best to rebuild these shifter mechanism's?? I am going to check with brewer's and passion to see what they say. Would like to get this fixed since it seem's to be getting worse every time I drive it. I think it has a hurst shifter mechanism on it, competition plus maybe?? I'm not sure, things on the car had been swapped around before I bought it but it still works fine. The bellhousing is a 66 model 10.5 inch and the transmission is a 70 model 23 spline but it works fine together with what's there. I think my old shifter is just worn and not working right.

Just checking to see if anybody else has had a sticking shifter problem....... 

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69wannabe

Thanks John for the info, sounds like hurst is a good place to check in about my shifter. I sent them an e-mail so maybe I will know something soon!!

Rolling_Thunder

you could disassemble it yourself and clean all the old grease off and re=lube it...   they are not that complicated
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69wannabe

The guy at hurst said he would rebuild it for $165 which I thought was a good price. I got a few iron's in the fire right now and he said it's a three to four week turn around so one I get this other project paid up I am planning on sending it out to him and letting him go through it.

John_Kunkel

Repeat, check the adjustment before sending it to a rebuilder.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69wannabe

I will look it over good before I send it off to them. I accidently broke the carb on my old ford truck today and wound up digging through several carbs I had trying to figure out if I could make something work but it was a factory 4180 holley style carb but not exactly the same as a regular 4160 holley carb so nothing I had would work so I just ordered me a new quick fuel 600 black carb. First time I ever broke a carb but it was kinda junk anyway and very limited on adjustability. Messing with the shifter gonna have to wait now for sure......