News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

First Ride with Wideband 02 gauge

Started by Canadian1968, July 17, 2017, 08:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

I installed an AEM 02 gauge for my 440. I put it approx 10 " back after the header collector. I installed a bung in each pipe so that I can switch if I want.

Here is the info I got from my first real ride with the gauge hooked up. 

Idle in gear once warm = 13.5 - 13.8
Cruise = 13.0- 13.5
Slight throttle off of cruise gives me a lean blip up to 16.0  will return back to 13.0ish if throttle is held
More aggressive throttle threw out power band gives me in the 12.8 - 13.5
I did a WOT from 45 MPH it shot it 11.0 and then 10.0 before I let off ( approx 4500 RPM)

The Carb is a 4160 (3310-5) 750cfm vac. Sec  ( Old school but its what I have now. )

So the slight blip off cruise is the accelerator cam I believe.  It has factory orange cam, I tried both holes with no noticeable change.  The blip is so small I wonder if I need to worry about it. But then again will happen often with street car.
I am happy with cruise,  The agrressive and WOT are to rich, should I drop a jet size or maybe 2?  This will probably bring my cruise closer to 14 as well ? I don't think I need to touch the nozzel or Power Valve??

motor is mild 440
274 comp cams
RPM Eldelbrock intake
headman ceramic  1 3/4 headers
2 1/2 X pipe
906 Heads bowl clean up, gasket matched 
base timing 18

68CoronetRT

Need more shot for that "tip in" lean condition. Cruise should be 14.5-15 so going up 2-3 jets will help WOT and your cruise at the same time. WOT should be like 12.5ish.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tip in unless it's causing a stumble.

Canadian1968

would I not want to go down in jet size? I am running rich at wot and slight at cruise and mild acceleration?

68CoronetRT

Yea, I ment go leaner. So down a couple sizes, sorry.

Been on EFI for so long now that "going up' means leaning it out to me.

Troy

This is your first ride. Be careful with trying to make it "perfect" as it's a carb and won't auto-adjust to temperature, humidity, or altitude/barometric pressure. My wideband shows some fairly drastic swings even on successive days (or say, hanging out at a show during the day then going on a cruise at night). For example, I tuned the car originally last fall in 50-60 degree dry weather. Pulling it out this spring in 87 degrees and 80% humidity and you'd have thought it wasn't tuned at all! Now that it's hot, my numbers are a bit richer than yours across the board (except highway cruise but I also have a Six Pack). I drive a lot and don't like futzing with adjustments so I picked a happy place in the middle. Lean and WOT don't mix!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Canadian1968

good point. I know I wot get 14.0 across the board and if I did it wouldn't be the same the next day !  I just feel like I still have some play room while still being on the safe side

XH29N0G

It sounds like you are set up pretty close.  I started tinkering with something like that and made it worse before making it better, but I learned a whole lot in the process.  As noted, there are day to day variations and variations depending on what you do. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

cdr

leave it alone, you are very close as is, as said by Troy, when the weather changes so will the afr. I got so picky on mine it drove me NUTS, I got it close & disconnected the wide band so I dont have to look at it.  :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Canadian1968

ok . I will take it for a few more trips and see what I get.  The 10.0 is pretty rich though? I will be taking it to the track eventually.  I must be leaving sone power on the table with 10.0 Wot ?

68CoronetRT

10:1 is WAY too rich. You will wash cylinders down at that AFR.

Drop 2 jet sizes and just watch the idle/cruise for being too lean and you should be perfect.

Or get EFI which constantly is adjusting to what you command for AFR.... :coolgleamA:

Actually your idle is set by the screws on the side of the carb. So you should be able to dial that in(idle) by watching the gauge and adjusting each side.

cdr

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on July 18, 2017, 05:47:12 PM
10:1 is WAY too rich. You will wash cylinders down at that AFR.

Drop 2 jet sizes and just watch the idle/cruise for being too lean and you should be perfect.

Or get EFI which constantly is adjusting to what you command for AFR.... :coolgleamA:

Actually your idle is set by the screws on the side of the carb. So you should be able to dial that in(idle) by watching the gauge and adjusting each side.

sorry I missed the 11,10 to one, that does need to be leaned out .
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

Quote from: cdr on July 18, 2017, 04:29:31 PM
leave it alone, you are very close as is, as said by Troy, when the weather changes so will the afr. I got so picky on mine it drove me NUTS, I got it close & disconnected the wide band so I dont have to look at it.  :yesnod:

That is funny. I am tempted to do the same.
I put mine in a few years back. I played with jets and power valves, idle mixture settings... I don't think an 850 VS carburetor will ever be as crisp and clean as EFI bit I'm okay with it. I had the car out last Sunday in 106 degree weather and it ran perfectly. No stumbles, no trouble restarting, no bad road manners. I need to install a fan shroud before I put in the A/C. The temperature never exceeded 210 and never even hinted that it would boil over.

randy73

Are the o2's heated, if not that far back will throw off your readings.

XH29N0G

I think some are and some aren't.  I believe the one I have (I don't know about the OP's) is heated.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

A sensor is nice, but what do the plugs say?

randy73

Quote from: XH29N0G on July 19, 2017, 10:48:59 AM
I think some are and some aren't.  I believe the one I have (I don't know about the OP's) is heated.

Heated are usually 3 or 4 wire and non-heated are usually 2 wires, though there are exceptions, if you have a wire hooked up to a power source than it is a heated o2.

Troy

Quote from: randy73 on July 19, 2017, 10:43:16 AM

Mine is.

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 19, 2017, 11:27:16 AM
I got the sensor so I wouldn't have to pull plugs. I'd rather have readings 100 times per second with data logging capability than to fight with plugs on a hot 440 any day. ;)

Troy

68pplcharger

For what it's worth WOT should be 13-13.5 for a naturally aspirated motor, 11.5-12.5 is generally for forced induction. That was the goal when I worked the Dyno in a previous life. As long as you don't change altitude you will be fine. Note: the motor will produce the best power at the 13-13.5 range from my testing on the dyno. I always went by exhaust temp and O2,but that's a different topic.

randy73

Quote from: Troy on July 19, 2017, 12:48:33 PM

Mine is.

I got the sensor so I wouldn't have to pull plugs. I'd rather have readings 100 times per second with data logging capability than to fight with plugs on a hot 440 any day. ;)

Troy

LoL, not that you could tell, but I was replying to the OP.

Canadian1968

I went with the AEM gauge and it is a heated sensor. I will pull the plugs again soon . but I wanted to make sure I wasn't running to lean in general

Troy

Quote from: randy73 on July 19, 2017, 01:50:28 PM
Quote from: Troy on July 19, 2017, 12:48:33 PM

Mine is.

Troy

LoL, not that you could tell, but I was replying to the OP.
He said he was using an AEM. I didn't say what mine was. I don't recall any wideband guages that use a 2 wire sensor though. :)

Troy

randy73

There out there, have them on my Lotus

68CoronetRT

The best part about going to Holley EFI or Fitech's system is you get a 300$ o2 sensor included! For only like 700$ more look at how much more you get!

And they should be right after the collector or in the collector if your running headers. And only 1 bank is really required.

I've pulled plugs twice and they look about how they should for what the EFI computer is telling me.

Canadian1968

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on July 19, 2017, 05:51:14 PM
The best part about going to Holley EFI or Fitech's system is you get a 300$ o2 sensor included! For only like 700$ more look at how much more you get!

And they should be right after the collector or in the collector if your running headers. And only 1 bank is really required.

I've pulled plugs twice and they look about how they should for what the EFI computer is telling me.

haha are you a sales man !?  I like tinkering so the carb is good for me !  I went and grabbed a set of 69 jets thinking I had 71 in there. Unfortunately there were 72 haha . None the less threw in the 69s , cruise was bang on 14.5 -7 . But as soon as I gave it throttle it would lean out and bog / stumble . If I eased on very light 14.7 - 15.3 . So way to lean . So my thoughts are if i bump up to 70s I should be pretty good. But I think my off cruise / light throttle might still stumble a bit.

I don't think a accel cam will do it I think I need to step up a nozzle size as well ?  Since i was leaning out quite a bit even with the 72s in

68CoronetRT

Squirter size will help. You should have 2 on the carb. And they are like jets, you go up and down in size. That's the little extra pump shot you need to help it not lean out when you get on it.

All I'm sayin is EFI is nice :lol:. I was over tinkering, just push a touch screen and away you go.