News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you drive in the rain?

Started by b5blue, July 19, 2017, 05:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I'm still chasing leaks but intend to use my 70 Charger rain or shine.

Ghoste

Not if I can help it.  Black car and it just takes sooooooo long to clean up after getting caught in the rain.

TPR

I think I've just seen a Ghoste!
;)
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Laowho

Quote from: b5blue on July 19, 2017, 05:49:39 AM
I'm still chasing leaks but intend to use my 70 Charger rain or shine.

Had ours outside, rained over night, and found about a half cup water in both floor pans, WAY more than the tiny bit in trunk. Looks like it drained thru the door pillars onto the floor. Knew it'd been garage kept for 25 years but didn't know why.  :brickwall:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Ghoste on July 19, 2017, 05:52:15 AM
Not if I can help it.  Black car and it just takes sooooooo long to clean up after getting caught in the rain.

LOL, all the time. I'ts a 20' driver so I'm not about to loose my mind trying to keep it clean.  She leaks around the wipers like mad though.  :brickwall:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

XH29N0G

Only by accident to driving in the rain, but wow, its been a long time since seeing a ghoste post.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

CDN72SE

Always wondered... do you guys put washer fluid in your washer fluid bottles?
1972 Charger SE

lukedukem

Quote from: CDN72SE on July 19, 2017, 11:20:05 AM
Always wondered... do you guys put washer fluid in your washer fluid bottles?

My car doesn't have any of that stuff under the hood

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

CDN72SE

hadn't thought of that answer.  :cheers:
1972 Charger SE

TeeWJay426

Not intentionally, but stuff happens. Hit a torrential downpour on 81 on the way to Carlisle last week, found out my two-speed wipers only have one now (the S L O W one!) Made the ride pretty tense for an hour or so....
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Troy

Well, I drive. Sometimes I get stuck in the rain.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

pipeliner

Yes sir. Not if I can keep from it but it doesn't bother me one bit. Everything is new, wiper motor, pump, lines and the cowl and wiper assembly has been resealed. Bring on the rain!

Ponch ®

I don't...not, unlike some, because I think every rain drop that touches the paint results in a .002% loss of value, but because I don't have working wipers and the weatherstripping is shot to hell.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

b5blue

Yea I got leaks in some odd places I've fixed and a few I haven't sorted out. (Yet)

alfaitalia

Mines a way off finished yet but hell...I live I the UK so if I decide not to drive it in the rain it will never get used...lol! You have to have working wipers to legally take a car on the road here so that will be ok. And hopefully my mediocre build skills should leave it mostly water tight....my others cars have been!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

ODZKing

Not if I can help it. As mentioned it takes too long to clean.
It's not the rain but all the dirt that gets everywhere from spray from other vehicles.
If it rains while it's parked, so be it. But no, not on the road in the rain.
And no, I don't put anything in the washer reservoir.

charge69

If there is ANY chance of rain, the Charger stays in the garage. Actually, it hasn't seen rain since 1982 when I put it up in the garage waiting for a full restoration. It just sat in my garage until 2008 when I finally started the restoration.  Took 5 long years (2013) to finish (you are never really finished) it and it has seen no rain since the restoration ! Wayyyyy Too hard to clean up after driving in the rain for this old man !!!

No fluid in my reservoir either !

cbrestorations

Every chance I would...drifting time 😆

Nacho-RT74

I did, and will do again. I still think on it as a driver... welll maybe not like before when leaves the body job, but still use it without restrictions due the weather.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BDF

I avoid driving in the rain because the roads are very twisty in my area and there are quite a few accidents.
I do NOT want to risk some fool crashing in to my car on a wet, slippery road  :slap:. I realize they could do it in dry conditions (and they do!) but that isn't as often or as risky.

DAY CLONA

And I thought it was only the E body guys that didn't get their car wet.... :pity:

wet or dry, they're meant to be driven, and there's washer fluid in the "bottle", you need it when driving thru NY or NJ, wet or dry the grimiest States to drive thru

Johnnys440Charger

In 19 years that I have owned it,  its never seen rain. I have a leak that I am in the processing of fixing.  https://youtu.be/vO0TlQzCooE

white

Wow that's a lot of water comming into the vent!

cdr

Yes I drive mine in the rain.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

I probably have driven mine in the rain as much as not! Washer bottle is topped off!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

67Charger440

I have a few times.  I'm not worried about keeping it detailed, it's just more of a hassle since I don't have functioning wipers. Only forward motion generating air flow will clear the windshield!   :drive:

5hunert

Kinda hard to live in the rainy Pacific Northwest and not have your ride see some rain from time to time.
http://www.inmygarage.com/hot-rods-celebrated-at-caffeine-gasoline/

chapel40

My 71 charger isn't finished yet, When searching for a car it was really hard to find one without the forward air cowl rusted out and leaking on the floors. I think this is really important and don't see a lot of people fixing them before painting car. You have to tear the car apart to replace it. They will have a fine car with the disconnected evaporator poking through the firewall so you know thgey haven't worked on the cowl.
Don Chapel

fy469rtse

:lol:  badly , side ways often , my excuse anyway  :coolgleamA:
It's getting dirty anyway,
Will give me an excuse to clean it up , and give it a good polish

VegasCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on July 19, 2017, 05:52:15 AM

Ghoste is that you? Are you easing your way back in? If so welcome back!!!  :2thumbs:

At first I thought it was an old post that got bumped.

To the OP, sorry for the hijack.

:cheers:

b5blue

Quote from: Johnnys440Charger on July 19, 2017, 08:57:14 PM
In 19 years that I have owned it,  its never seen rain. I have a leak that I am in the processing of fixing.  https://youtu.be/vO0TlQzCooE

Pull that air box down and check the seam for the rain wall inside!

6pkrtse

In the 26 years that I have owned mine. If I check the weather & it calls for rain I usually won't take it out. If their is a slight chance of rain & I am heading to a show or cruise & it starts raining while i am there then I just tough it out & wash it as soon as I can.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

toocheaptosmoke

I have enough other vehicles that if there's a good bit of rain predicted I usually drive something else.   Got a minor leak under the dash somewhere I need to fix, no carpet so it's not a big deal though.  Needs to drive it in the rain every so often to wash it though.   :lol:

BrianShaughnessy

The wipers work in case I need 'em...     :icon_smile_cool:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

lloyd3

Well, yes and no.  Very little rain out here in the 'high & dry" so it's easy to avoid. If I happen to get caught out then, oh well.  Cleanup is a bit more work after it gets wet.

Hello Ghoste!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Troy on July 19, 2017, 03:30:28 PM

Troy

I don't do it on purpose.  These 50 year cars are meant to protect, Not abuse.

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 22, 2017, 11:54:07 AM

Troy

Then you're doing it wrong! :D All my stuff gets driven (well, when it actually works). I usually drive between February and November here in the Midwest. The only time I won't drive is when there's a chance of road salt. I even take mine to a coin operated car wash... ;)

What's the point in having one if you never take it out of the garage?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

Quote from: Troy on July 22, 2017, 01:27:01 PM

Troy

Then you're doing it wrong! :D All my stuff gets driven (well, when it actually works). I usually drive between February and November here in the Midwest. The only time I won't drive is when there's a chance of road salt. I even take mine to a coin operated car wash... ;)

Troy

exactly  why have if your not going to enjoy it
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ACUDANUT

Quote from: moparstuart on July 22, 2017, 08:33:14 PM
Quote from: Troy on July 22, 2017, 01:27:01 PM

Troy

Troy

exactly  why have if your not going to enjoy it

Because I prefer to ensure another great many years of No rust and I prefer 50-80 degrees for playing around anyway.
How do you think your 68 Lasted 50 years ???

Sublime/Sixpack

I don't drive mine in the rain, unless it just happens to rain on the way to or from a car show. Living in the 2nd driest state in the Country I see no good reason to drive the classics when it's raining out.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

nvrbdn

Last year I went to Allen's car show in Granite City. The sky was threatening so they moved up the trophies an hour to help out. Right when I hit the freeway to head north, It opened up. Just pored down. When I got it home, I grabbed the soap and towels and played in the rain. After it quit, I dried it off and put it away. Happy to say, no water inside. :yesnod: Rain doesn't bother me.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

VegasCharger

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on July 23, 2017, 10:52:22 PM
I don't drive mine in the rain, unless it just happens to rain on the way to or from a car show. Living in the 2nd driest state in the Country I see no good reason to drive the classics when it's raining out.

Would that be:
- Utah
- South Dakota
- Nevada
or none of the above?

flyinlow

[/quote]

Troy

[/quote]

Mine has been out of the garage 40,000+miles in the last ten years. Got soaked going to Carlisle.

For those of you in suffering from drought  , for a fee I would be willing to bring the "Rainmaker" (triple black Charger) to you ,polish it up and wait for the cloud burst.

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: VegasCharger on July 23, 2017, 11:25:51 PM
Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on July 23, 2017, 10:52:22 PM

Utah

Would that be:
- Utah
- South Dakota
- Nevada
or none of the above?

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

fc7_plumcrazy

I drive my cars in the rain, too.
I don't like it but if I want to drive to a car show in example it takes way more to stop me.

They have seen rain in the past 50 years of their lives

Carsten

1974dodgecharger

NO, NO, NO, and NO...these cars have known to melt and there is only a few left in the world.

Challenger340

Nope.
Mine gets driven plenty, just not in the rain.

Tough enough keeping it clean and the dust off being Black, can't be bothered with water spots as well ?  Dunno how good 40 year old original wiper blades would work either ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

billssuperbird

Offblue

Ohh yeah, my brother 67 mustang leaks like a sieve through the wiper blade holes too.

RIDELIKEHELL

In the past no except if I was at MOPARFEST but this year I have driving in 3 storms coming home from cruises and a few shows. Sure it's a PIA cleaning but lifes to short not to enjoy your car!
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73