News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Small block head bolts

Started by Vegas_Nick, July 19, 2017, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegas_Nick

Ok, I need some help! I know that the small blocks have specific head bolt locations. I see three different size head bolts and now I did the dumbass thing and can't remember the specific locations on how to re-install them. Google hasn't been much help. The Mopar engine manual that I have says "place them in a piece of cardboard to identify them for installation". I skipped that step!

Help?

Sublime/Sixpack

FWIW Just out of curiosity I went out into the shop and measured the thickness of all the heads bolts from a '72 360 and all but two bolts measure the same. And the two that were different were the two longer bolts (one per side) and even they measure the same as the others on their shoulder just under the head of the bolt.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Bronzedodge

Right, although the lower row is shorter.  You should have 5 per side on the lower row that are 1 7/8" approx.  Then, like Sublime said, there is one on the upper row that is longer, matched the taller boss height.  2nd one in from the front on the left, and of course 2nd from the back on the rear.   :2thumbs:
Mopar forever!

Sublime/Sixpack

Thanks Bronzedodge.
Vegas_Nick I got the wrong impression of what you meant by three different size head bolts. Yes, there are three different lengths of head bolts on the small blocks. But when installing the heads to the block it's obvious which ones go where. Don't sweat it, you'll see.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on July 22, 2017, 06:46:56 PM
Thanks Bronzedodge.
Vegas_Nick I got the wrong impression of what you meant by three different size head bolts. Yes, there are three different lengths of head bolts on the small blocks. But when installing the heads to the block it's obvious which ones go where. Don't sweat it, you'll see.

No worries!! I appreciate it! Just reading some other manuals, they give warnings about wrong head bolts causing oiling issues. But any way... cool! Thanks again!