News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear end

Started by brad mcintyre, July 23, 2017, 08:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad mcintyre

I am taking out rear end on 66 charger pinon gear to replace .removed all bolts it comes half inch than stops is there some thing else to disconnect ?I did remove drive shaft .not sure how much force to use only want to fix whats all ready broke

J.Bond

8 3/4?
You pulled the axles out?

If not,.... remove rear wheels, brake drums , brake assembly, remove bolts from axle, bearing retention adjustment plates., and pull axles out about a foot each side, then you can pull the center section out.

brad mcintyre

no I didn't I thought that might be problem . thank you . just stumbling through these things but its fun learning .

Sublime/Sixpack

Food for thought;
If the seals in the axle housing are old (as in original), I suggest you pull the axles all the way out. If you pull the axles out just far enough for them to clear the third member they'll be resting on the seals. The weight of the axle resting on the seal can distort an old seal and cause it to leak once everything is put back together. If the seals are reasonably fresh there won't be a problem.

This very thing happened to me last year when I switched out the third member in my '68 Coronet. I pulled the axles out about eight inches, changed out the third member then buttoned everything up. A short while later the left seal started to leak. Had to clean things up, replace the seal and brake shoes.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak