News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tranny fluid coming out of bellhosing ?

Started by Canadian1968, July 23, 2017, 05:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

just took the longest ride since getting the car together . At both the destination and then when return home, there is tranny fluid leaking from the cover on the front of the bellhousing.  The cover is the one you would remove to get access to flex plate bolts . It leaks for about 20 mins then stops . What's the prob ?

green69rt

Quote from: Canadian1968 on July 23, 2017, 05:24:34 PM
just took the longest ride since getting the car together . At both the destination and then when return home, there is tranny fluid leaking from the cover on the front of the bellhousing.  The cover is the one you would remove to get access to flex plate bolts . It leaks for about 20 mins then stops . What's the prob ?

Only two places it could be leaking from.  The drain plug for the torque converter or the front seal on the transmission.  I hope you just need to tighten up the drain plug.

cdr

make sure the trans is not overfilled, check fluid when it is HOT, idling in neutral. the vent is at the top of the front pump & can puke fluid out.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

justcruisin

I would check your fluid level before you do anything else, could be over full and coming out the breather which is located on the pump housing. Most mopar torque converters I have seen don't have a drain plug. If it has been sitting for some time could be the front seal gone hard. I have seen a transmission leak from the front seal every time when slowing down to a stop but not while driving, turned out to be a misalignment  in the torque converter after being split and re-welded. There is also a large o-ring around the pump and the bolts also have sealing washers on them.

green69rt

Quote from: cdr on July 23, 2017, 06:12:29 PM
make sure the trans is not overfilled, check fluid when it is HOT, idling in neutral. the vent is at the top of the front pump & can puke fluid out.

Forgot about the vent.  Yes, check the fluid level first.

All the Mopar converters I've seen have a drain.  But I've only seen three so that's not saying much.

Canadian1968

hmm check it out tomorrow . I did have to run out after we got back and noticed a trail of fluid on the streer leading right to the house. From about 100 ft away as I slowed down to pull into the garage. 

But also backed up the car to clean up the leak and pulled it back in. has not dripped again

fy469rtse

first run in the car ?
i have seen new seals sometimes take a bit to bed in , yes i know strange but has happened, especially if torque convertor installed in pump seal dry ,

68CoronetRT

I got a converter from PTC that leaked right out of the box(no drain plug). I haven't had the time to pull the converter yet, but the only thing it could be is the weld for the neck that plugs into the trans pump or a torn pump seal. I called PTC and they said it does happen from time to time. Need to remove it, confirm the problem, re weld and then check for balance.

Just another idea!

Canadian1968

I dI'd take the car our for another drive. about 25 min drive. Not a drop.

so ..... my thought is maybe I am bit high on fluid level and when I take it on a big drive it get to full temp and maybe pushing a bit out the vent ?