News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 RR repop floor pan seems a little off...

Started by Midnight_Rider, July 24, 2017, 03:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnight_Rider

This is for the rear footwell section.

Original piece that was cut out, sitting on replacement pan.

Hmmm...

hemi-hampton

That is what you call cheap aftermarket parts. I've dealt with that garbage since the 1980's. I hate aftermarket. But some in here will praise how great is is. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

P.S. The new piece looks rustier then the old piece :shruggy:

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 24, 2017, 09:17:20 PM
P.S. The new piece looks rustier then the old piece :shruggy:

Yeah, that came with the car when I bought it. They had already removed a substantial amount of the driver's side floor pans for replacement. Got an AMD piece on back-order through Summit. We'll see if that's any better... if it ever comes in.

Midnight_Rider

More aftermarket panel fitment issues. The front floor pan this time. Too long in the front, by almost an inch in the middle on the drop-down from the dimmer switch area. Had to cut the flange that mates to the firewall pinch weld area off, will have to weld it back on once we have the fit right.

Also, once I got the flange off so the pan would lay down flush, I saw that the dimensions were off on the drop-down. So I had to make a relief cut, which will need material welded in to make that right. This means that the flange piece that was cut off will need the same amount of material added in the corresponding area to match up.

hemi-hampton

Mike DC

Geez, that's pretty bad.  Nothing should have dimensions so visibly off.  

I hope you go ahead and complain to the manufacturer.  Inform them that you're talking on message boards like this and spreading the word about it.  It won't fix your pan but it's the only power we have.  

randy73

Remember they did stuff like this when they were being made, when I replaced my rear floor pan, you could see where someone hammers  the pan support. It had paint and undercoating on top, so I know it looks like it was massaged into place at the factory.

But the OP's pan looks really bad, who made it?

Mike DC

Yeah, that "one of these things is not like the other" pic gets the point across.  There's no excuse for that.  A tooling designer cannot leave such a big goof without realizing it.   

alfaitalia

Are you sure its even for a 71RR....not just a similar car? If it came with the car and without packing or paperwork it might be for another similar, but not the same, MOPAR. People will tell you anything when trying to sell you something!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

randy73

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 26, 2017, 11:24:40 AM
Are you sure its even for a 71RR....not just a similar car? If it came with the car and without packing or paperwork it might be for another similar, but not the same, MOPAR. People will tell you anything when trying to sell you something!!

Come ON, no one would try tell you something that is not true.   :lol:

alfaitalia

Quote from: randy73 on July 26, 2017, 02:23:52 PM

Come ON, no one would try tell you something that is not true.   :lol:

Oh yes...never thought of that. Well I wouldn't and I'm a caravan salesman who has been a car, motorcycle and high end watch salesman....never said a false word to a single customer! So I doubt anyone else would!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: randy73 on July 26, 2017, 09:04:19 AM
But the OP's pan looks really bad, who made it?

It has a sticker on it for MCHP (Motor City High Performance):
http://www.body-panel.com/

Are you sure its even for a 71RR....not just a similar car?

Nope. I'm pretty much a Mopar noob, so I have no experience to draw on here. But -- everything else matches the original section on the passenger side, except for a lack of contour detail in the area where the tunnel transitions into the floor. And it needs drilled for the plug holes.

I have an AMD piece on back order through Summit, I'll see what we can do with what we've got and if it's done before we get the other piece and it looks ok, we'll use it and cancel the back order. If not, we'll see what the AMD looks like.

Midnight_Rider

Well the AMD piece finally came in the other day... But! - it was worth the wait, solved the problem. We'll see how the install goes, probably over the weekend.

Midnight_Rider

Well, I thought I'd come back and give a quick update. The AMD rear section is in, and fit well after some BFH persuasion in a couple of spots (as expected). Satisfied.

randy73

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: randy73 on October 14, 2017, 10:44:08 PM
cool, congrats on getting it in.

Thanks. Gave me a little sense of accomplishment, if I do say so myself.

Leaving the hump out for now, topside access may come in handy for trans fitment. Car goes to body guy for quarter replacement next. Rather leave something critical like that to a pro for now. I'll try to jump back in after I get it back, with a little guidance. Well, a lot of guidance  :icon_smile_big:

72Charger72