News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re-sealing the vents in 3rd gen Charger = crappy job??

Started by Loa, July 26, 2017, 02:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loa

Hello,

Whenever it rains I have massive leaks through both vents in my 74 Charger. Massive = need to use the shopvac to empty a few litres of water from the carpet and sound deadening mat.

Looking form below, it seems like re-sealing them is a pain the neck job. Am I missing an easier way to do it?

Thanks.

70 sublime

Are the cowl drains clear so any water that does get into that area can get out ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Loa

I've only found one (under the wiper motor, driver side) and it was clogged. I'll do a thorough cleaning tomorrow morning.

Do you think that it was blocked so bad that the entire cowl was filled?

71charger_fan

The ones in my '71 clogged up. We had a heavy rain followed by a lengthy deep freeze. The block of ice that formed in my cowl was so large, my wiper linkage bound up against it. When the weather finally warmed up, I cleaned the drains and used a lot of hot water to make that mess go away.

70 sublime

Quote from: Loa on July 26, 2017, 04:18:46 PM
I've only found one (under the wiper motor, driver side) and it was clogged. I'll do a thorough cleaning tomorrow morning.

Do you think that it was blocked so bad that the entire cowl was filled?

That would be the best place to start
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Loa

Thanks.

But by looking at the vents through the cowl openings, I can see that the seals have dried out and they move slightly when I push on them. I see screws that look impossible to access. Are the vents removed from under the dash?

NHCharger

There should also be a drain on each side of the cowl. If you remove the splash shield from the back of the wheel well you can access it. I have a complete cowl/firewall in my garage. I can take a pic and post it for you if you want.
My 72 had a leak in the cowl. Someone used a way too long screw on something and actually penetrated the cowl with the screw.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Nacho-RT74

Some hidrojet through the cowl vent grill openings to the side drain provisions could be easier and helpfull to clean all the area out through the same drain provision.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html