News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Max 400 crank hp?

Started by Wicked72, July 30, 2017, 09:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

Ive been gone for awhile but now im back! Had twins and life took a different turn and priorities changed. Im finally back working on my 72 charger! Unfortunately my project event from high hopes to i just want to drive the damn thing. So getting to it. I'm going to rebuild my 400 using stock everything, i have a 440 forged crank is was going to stroke the motor with but for the price of machining its waste of money. Its a cast crank 452 head 400, im going to use a whiplash cam on it and i might throw a small shot of nitrous on it or get the paxton supercharger kit one day. I was wondering what kind of power can the cast crank handle? Its just a street car so nothing crazy, hp goal.. i don't have one. I am thinking of selling or trading my 440 forged crank for a 383/400 forged crank but if the cast crank will be fine for a little bashing then ill sell what i have a invest the money into rebuild parts. What are your thoughts. Thanks guys!
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

c00nhunterjoe

If you are using low comp pistons, deck the block, deck the heads, and run a .020 shim head gasket. It will get it close to 9:1, then with the cam and a little head work, you will be near the 400hp mark. Will make a nice street car for an interim project.

Wicked72

But will my cast crank handle it? I was going to just dingle ball hone it and have the heads milled and valves done. Everything in the motor will be stock i lm just trying to figure out if i should keep my crank or find a forged one.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

cdr

cast crank will be fine for what you are doing.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

aerolith

Heard Mopar cast-cranks was good for 500hp.
Ford castings were very poor and that spilled over into 'all cast cranks'.
Some 71 400's got steel cranks during the crossover period from 383's.
Steel crank 400's are the way to go.
I did a turned down 440 crank that have damaged mains and found some nice S/h stroker pistons for 440 rods.
Perfect set-up for an A-Body as the 440 is just way too wide for header clearances.

I know a guy running a cast crank 440 engine and it makes 550+hp...
I'm also building a blown 360 with a castycrank, that's all there is available, no options...
Never say never to cast!
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623