News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Value?

Started by taxspeaker, July 31, 2017, 08:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

Lime green, 440 4 speed, 60,000 miles
Front bottom of rear quarters rusted through, back bottom of rear quarters rusted through
Sitting in garage since mid-80's-same owner but not known yet if original owner, not much more known
Looks to be good shape for 60,000 miles, except for rust

I want to be fair with him-what do you guys think value is?
With the assumption that engine is locked, possible issues from sitting for rest of driveline, fuel, brakes & suspension, plus body, I am guessing $35-45,000 but I don't want to lowball him, I want to be fair. So comments? Yes I have VIN, and no I do not have permission to disclose, no it is not listed for sale either.

Thanks
Bob

WINGMAN

Superbird? Daytona? Or other.       (Wingman)  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

70 sublime

Original motor ?

Being lime green I am guessing Superbird
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

taxspeaker

Sorry Superbird.
More info now: original owner, believed to be numbers matching, parked in 1978

moparstuart

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 31, 2017, 09:06:16 AM
Sorry Superbird.
More info now: original owner, believed to be numbers matching, parked in 1978
rusted away junk is bringing 30 to 40  Id say this is closer to 65 to 75  k  Yes I know it will take alot of cash to make it nice but thats what they are bringing    :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 31, 2017, 08:08:47 AM
I am guessing $35-45,000 but I don't want to lowball him, I want to be fair.

What Stuart said.

$35-40k would be a steal.    I can't remember a Superbird in the current market selling in any condition for less than 65.    I believe the Craigslist primered 6 pack car in PA sold quickly for quite a but more than 65.   It was also a green car "needing everything".  

The good:
Limelight
4-speed
Original owner
Been off the radar screen

The bad:
Rust
The rest of us really don't know the condition.    But we will assume it needs a total restoration.  

What kind of interior?   Bench or bucket?

taxspeaker

I will be talking with owner around 4:30 today for first time. I can't tell yet whether bench or bucket but from grainy pictures bucket. Rust is not as bad as I thought except that 1 spot and of course around the windows

hemi68charger

I paid $60K for an original paint 440 speed with a fairly solid body but no motor. Needed a total restoration........... This was a little under 2 years ago I believe.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

taxspeaker

Thanks Troy. From what I can tell from pictures his car is similar to yours.

This has been one of the most interesting days of my life. Six weeks ago I was quietly planning to recreate my Alaska trip in July, this time with my Daytona and then a health issue popped up requiring some time away, nixing the trip for 2017. (It is in planning stages for July 2018 now). Today, after getting medically released, with the help of my son and a friend we feverishly began final stages of planning for this coming weekend's all-Mopar car show near Louisville. The morning started with a doctor call sounding the all-clear, quickly followed with a call that said "Are you that crazy guy that drove a Superbird to Alaska, and are you interested in buying an old dirty one?" Two conversations later and I have set up a call for 2 hours from now to talk with the original owner Superbird locked in a garage since 1978. Then right after lunch we talked with Charlie Glotzbach (yes, that one) who lives near us about the car show and he reminds me of a fellow about 5 miles from here that he believes owns a Superbird. We call him and he doesn't own just a Superbird, he owns a Daytona and a Superbird! neither of which is known to the community, he does not have an email or a computer, and who promises to come to the show Saturday as well.

With his permission I will get the VIN's on those cars as well, and if somehow I can get a deal done to get this garage-bound Bird bought, will have as many as 5 wing cars at this little show. I do have the VIN on the garage bound Bird. This is a great day! Not much of a gambler, but a lottery ticket might be purchased this afternoon.

Thanks, I welcome comments on the garage car. It appears my original estimate was too low so I am around Troy's 60,000 now but awaiting comments.
Bob

taxspeaker

Pics

6bblgt

amazing that there are still Superbirds in this condition to find  :2thumbs: that appears to be a 450 wheel left rear - is it the only one (from  the spare)?

taxspeaker

All 5 including the spare

taxspeaker

Sorry, according to my source it has round dodge caps on all 4 wheels-I did not think any were built that way, with the same wheel everywhere. This is not verified but 25 minutes to the phone call.

hemi68charger

All I can say is NICE !!!!   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

fc7_plumcrazy

great find.
I like it a lot.
I would leave it "as is", enough restored wing cars are already out there if it would be mine

Carsten

Aero426

Quote from: taxspeaker on July 31, 2017, 03:06:43 PM
Sorry, according to my source it has round dodge caps on all 4 wheels-I did not think any were built that way, with the same wheel everywhere. This is not verified but 25 minutes to the phone call.

Some Superbirds were equipped new with body colored steel wheels and hubcaps.

wingcarenvy

moparstuart

there is a rough one  , just popped up on Face book for 100 k out of Oklahoma   B-5 blue orange wing  

1970 Plymouth Superbird, A Real Barn Find Not A Clone
$100,000
Shawnee, OK
A real 70 Plymouth Superbird, Detroit built sold in western Oklahoma new. The car was wrecked in the front-end in the early 80s and under went a complete color change to a heavy metallic custom B-5 blue. The original color is a Vitamin C orange, black vinyl top. The car was drag raced in the 80s. The front clip fenders nose cone were removed do to the wreck it was in. The original U 440 4bbl was destroyed long ago. The front radiator cross support was removed, along with the fender tag that was lost. The vin reads as RM23UOA178679, I've done research on the vin and it shows up in the NASCAR Superbird registry. The vin can be found on the original 833 4 speed transmission. The trunk vin number is hard to read. The rear window boot is original and so is the aluminum rear wing to the car. The front clip is off of a 69 Roadrunner. The car will need new quarter panels and trunk floor, there's also rust in the driver side floorboard. The car has been sitting out in the weather for years. It does have a 1966 440 in it now and runs and drives. The rear end is the original Dana 60 believe to be the 4:10 ratio. Original bench seat is still in the car, along with rear seat. Does have a new gas tank, wiring harness, and brakes. I know there's probably something that I'm missing. What I would like to do is trade someone for a restored B Body Mopar, such as a Charger, Roadrunner, Superbee GTX, big block car ready to go. I don't have the time to restore a project, I would like to have one already done please. You can send me photos and a description of what you would like to trade thank you Joe. Serious inquiries only please don't waste my time
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

F8-4life

Sounds like its worth 60k-75ish

JDR1967

Those 2-cars are well known in the Louisville area.  The owner used to take them to car shows all through the 90's.  The Daytona is white with red interior and red wing, 440 4-speed.  It has been repainted twice and the nose was leaded to the fenders back in the 70's.  The Superbird is B5 with a white interior. 440+6 automatic, 1-repaint.  Both are low mileage and were bought in the late 70's and early 80's by the current owner.  They are both great cars that were never wrecked or rusted.  The owner is a super nice guy who bought them because he liked them, long before they were worth much.

taxspeaker

Update:

Long, friendly phone call made. Car is original except for normal maintenance items. He is the original owner and has the original purchase invoice in the back seat (?) but pretty chewed up by mice, as I assume seats and wiring are as well. 4-speed, buckets with console, never repainted or valve covers off. Still has original tires and wheels (!) although tires are flat, and yes they are the very rare rims with dog dish hubcaps and lime green painted wheels. The wheel in the picture is the spare. Did any of these come with power windows? He swears he has them, but he is a little foggy about things.

Has all original dealer paperwork. Not clear why it was parked. Originally he said clutch but several times he said he parked it to restore it, but it was running when it was parked. The guy is real different, but as my wife says-all wing guys are weird!!!! I have not yet been allowed to see the car but getting close now. He was totally off base on the price (he mentioned $30,000) and I told him I wanted a deal, but one we could both live with so he now has a realistic number of its value and I am awaiting the trip to see it. That's the really bad part-it is not local and it is in the middle of a really, really bad area of a big city and he wants cash, so I am trying to figure a way out to get the car, get out and then do the cash transfer somewhere else.

Updates will follow as I get to see the car, hopefully in the next 10 days or so. I will not pressure him, but I will call him to gently remind him the car is rusting away.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

fc7_plumcrazy

sounds great !

Carsten

JDR1967

At least 3-Superbirds are known to have power windows so it is possible.

JB400

Hope the deal works out for you :cheers: 

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: