News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger restoration shop in Denver, CO or anywhere close.

Started by 68charger440, August 01, 2017, 11:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440

My nephew just wrecked his 69 Charger that he inherited from my brother who passed last winter.  Does anyone know of a shop that does restorations out in this neck of the woods?  DENVER, CO.
My health will probably prevent me from doing it myself.  It was an 85 year old guy who crossed over two lanes in front of him, and the old man got the tickets and there were witnesses, but my nephew's insurance was only for driving to shows etc so they won't  help him.  Hopefully the old man's insurance will not pull anything slimy.
Any suggestions? :flame:
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

303 Mopar

This shop is currently doing a restoration on our '73 Cuda -  Kevin Dietrich at Kool Colors.  720-940-9759.  www.koolcolors.net.  Kevin owns a '70 Challenger T/A and does amazing work.

Also heard good things about Dallas at Joyride Motorsports -  720-233-4444.  www.joyridecolorado.com.  Dallas does a lot of classics including Mopars.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

68charger440

Quote from: 303 Mopar on August 01, 2017, 11:56:09 AM
This shop is currently doing a restoration on our '73 Cuda -  Kevin Dietrich at Kool Colors.  720-940-9759.  www.koolcolors.net.  Kevin owns a '70 Challenger T/A and does amazing work.

Also heard good things about Dallas at Joyride Motorsports -  720-233-4444.  www.joyridecolorado.com.  Dallas does a lot of classics including Mopars.
Thanks, I'll pass that along.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

303 Mopar

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 01, 2017, 12:06:57 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on August 01, 2017, 11:56:09 AM

Thanks, I'll pass that along.

You bet, sorry to hear about the accident.  Its a beautiful Charger.  Everyone ok?

68charger440

Everyone is fine, except he is crushed mentally knowing how much it meant to his dad and it being the biggest memory left of him.

sardillim

who is the other carrier ?   If the other party is clearly at fault their obligation is to restore your car to pre loss condition.  The issue may be is if he has enough coverage.  Here in CT the minimum coverage is $10,000.00 which is ridiculously low.    The reason i bring this up is that i am a licensed appraiser here in ct and i see at least 10k in damage.  Let me know if i can help you although I am not familiar with laws in your state

Mike

68charger440

I'll find out the insurer, but I have seen here in Colorado that some of the less reputable insurers with a wink and a nod get their insured to say it was not their fault and then they deny the claim. 
The other guy did get cited for careless driving and there are two other witness statements saying it was the old man's fault too, so fingers crossed!  The old guys car was 20 years old so he probably had minimum coverage.

hemi-hampton

Get a copy of the accident report from the police station. LEON.

68charger440

Here are some of the initial accident reports.
Edit removed reports to get rid of personal info.

sardillim

the good news is that the report is pretty clear that the other party is at fault,  at this point i don't see how the other guy could talk his way out of his responsibility.  The Hartford is a CT based company, they are not the best but also not the worst either.  the fact the the other guy was driving a 1998 olds makes be think has the minimum coverage, i am hoping your state  minimums are higher than CT.   

keep me in the loop

hemi-hampton

The accident report say's the old guy is at fault & got a Careless Driving ticket. I don't see how he can deny it. Plus the fact that he's 84 is proof enough he's at fault, the old timer should not even be on the road driving. LEON. :brickwall:

dual fours

There's four traffic cameras at that intersection.
Did you read the witness statements, the female (Nichole) east bound, has the red car on Claude making a left turn to go east, which would make the red car running the red light. The male (Barry) has the red car making a left to go south on Claude :scratchchin:. Now Nichole was looking in to her rearview mirror.  

Does the "Uniform Summons & Complaint Form" show the old man with Color of Hair "GRN" and Color of Eyes "GRN", is this "GRN", GREEN ?
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

68charger440

The insurance Co offered $35,000.00 for it as a total loss.  I asked my nephew to get a buyback price from the insurance co.
Do you guys think that is fair.  It is an original 383magnum 4speed with the original motor and original 4 speed.  The paint is not original nor is the interior.  It believe it was light blue with white interior and white vinyl top. How much do you think is a fair buyback price and is the 35k complete buyout fair?

303 Mopar

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 15, 2017, 02:24:34 PM
The insurance Co offered $35,000.00 for it as a total loss.  I asked my nephew to get a buyback price from the insurance co.
Do you guys think that is fair.  It is an original 383magnum 4speed with the original motor and original 4 speed.  The paint is not original nor is the interior.  It believe it was light blue with white interior and white vinyl top. How much do you think is a fair buyback price and is the 35k complete buyout fair?

Is the frame bent?  How much other damage beside the obvious is there?  I would still push to have it fixed instead of writing it off as a total loss.  I'm not sure your could sell that Charger for $35k in that condition so it may be worth it, but the sentimental value has to be huge in this case.

hemi-hampton

$35K sounds more then fair to me. Buy another unless sentimental value is high. LEON.

68charger440

Quote from: 303 Mopar on August 15, 2017, 03:40:58 PM

Is the frame bent?  How much other damage beside the obvious is there?  I would still push to have it fixed instead of writing it off as a total loss.  I'm not sure your could sell that Charger for $35k in that condition so it may be worth it, but the sentimental value has to be huge in this case.
No other damage that I can tell, but until you really get into it you never know. If I didn't have spinal cord problems I would take it on myself.

Lennard

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 15, 2017, 06:43:21 PM
$35K sounds more then fair to me. Buy another unless sentimental value is high. LEON.
The kid inherited the car from his dad who passed last winter.

hemi-hampton

sardillim

if it's 35k plus sales tax its a fair number.   before you decide on buying it back check out the salvage inspection process in your state,   they can be very difficult

4mayhemi

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 01, 2017, 09:14:13 PM
Here are some of the initial accident reports.
You've gotta delete those photos.  There is too much pertinent information on there from strangers who didn't authorize you posting these.
PM the images if you want someone's help, redact them, or crop them to the description you want.

303 Mopar

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 15, 2017, 08:53:32 PM
Buy it back & get it fixed then. :scratchchin:

If you accept the $35k or try to buy it back it will change a salvage title, and you DO NOT want that.  I would say push to get the car fixed given it's his dad's car.  Yes you can buy another decent Charger for $35k but it will be really tough watching that car be hauled off.

JB400

Has the car been disassembled yet to know the extent of the damage?

68charger440

Quote from: JB400 on August 17, 2017, 12:09:12 PM
Has the car been disassembled yet to know the extent of the damage?
It is all still there and drivable except for the rubbing fender and I don't know about control arms and other suspension parts. Nothing has been touched since the accident. Waiting for final buyout numbers from insurance before deciding what to do next.

Dans 68

Quote from: 303 Mopar on August 15, 2017, 03:40:58 PM

I concur. If it were me, I'd get it fixed. No doubt in my mind. Only from a reputable shop though...get it done right.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

mariusjh03

Quote from: Dans 68 on August 18, 2017, 03:00:53 PM
I concur. If it were me, I'd get it fixed. No doubt in my mind. Only from a reputable shop though...get it done right.  :2thumbs:

Dan

I agree with Dan. I'm currently repairing/restoring a wrecked '69 Charger, and in pulling it apart piece by piece, it's not that bad. Looks like you'll need a LF fender, grille (center and passenger side sections may be salvageable), headlamp/grille support, bumper, bumper brackets, valence, radiator support (maybe), inner fender, battery tray and hood. If the LF tire/wheel took a hit than you'll probably need new suspension links too. The main question/concern is the LF frame rail. It's very likely that due to the angle of the hit, this may have moved inboard slightly. Tough to tell until you get it apart, visually inspect it and take measurements.

Given that this was a gift/inheritance and that the car has been in the family for a long time, repairing it is the only option IMO. A reputable shop could probably do it well and bring it back to the same or better condition as before the wreck (depending on what you want). And for a lot less money than $35k too!
1969 - Medium Green Metallic - 383 auto (in progress)