News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 charger starter

Started by tiki, August 03, 2017, 09:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiki

The starter was making noise every other time i started it,I knew it was time to replace it i was looking to replace it w/db electrical mini starter recommended on this site,i bought the starter and had to remove the ext conn on the starter(because it was hitting the block) before i put the header back on i tried to crank to make sure it was engaging the ring gear and it was then proceeded to install the header brought the lift down and its not engaging again any ideas of what it could be? :brickwall: very frustrating...

70 sublime

Do you have an amp meter gauge on your car ?
When you turned the key to the crank position did the gauge move any farther or peg right over ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

tiki

i just have the stock gauges for now

70 sublime

So did you notice if it moved  when you turned the key all the way ?
Shorted out gauge will move all the way over
Bad connection some place gauge does not move at all

tiki

Thank-you for the response i will check it i also have to double check all my grounds... :2thumbs:

tiki

I cleaned off all my grounds,made sure all wires were tucked in tight and now it catches the ring gear every once and a while when trying to start it,once it wants to start it loses contact w/ ring gear ah!! and it sounds like zing!!! lol :brickwall: Any help would be appreciated

BLK 68 R/T

Have you inspected all of the teeth on the ring gear to make sure there are not any damaged spots?

charger Downunder

Maybe the starter relay is playing up, will is start easy with a screw driver across the connection.
[/quote]

tiki

sublime i turned the key and it moved a little bit :cheers:

tiki

now the latest is when you turn the key the starter catches the ring gear as soon as its going to start there it goes again (zing) :flame:

70 sublime

So when you first put it together ( before header was back on )
Did you ever crank it over and over or just gave it a little shot to see if it sounded like it was doing the job ?

What I am getting at is are you sure the new starter has ever done the job properly ?
I have never had a mini starter so do not know which one is right for the job
Sounds like something might not be lined up just right when bolted on if you have the right mini starter 

tiki

BLK 68 R/T

So your old starter was making noise, was it not engaging all the time either? is the new starter having a completely different issue?

Bronzedodge

I've had ring gears that were bad, but the wear was so even  it was hard to tell.  They can be replaced on torque converters as well as flywheels.
Mopar forever!

tiki

The old starter worked fine until it failed

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: tiki on August 07, 2017, 05:45:12 AM
The old starter worked fine until it failed

What do you mean by failed? did it just quit working? did it exhibit any of the symptoms of the new starter?

tiki

im going to try something next time i work on it,connect the jumper cable neg to the battery and the other neg to the frame just to check my engine to body ground i have a feeling its that easy,i will update :popcrn:

tiki

Very simple - YOU NEED AN ENGINE GROUND STRAP!

Otherwise, all those chassis grounds, ie. anything that grounds through the chassis; your stereo, the fuel sending unit, gauges, ignition, etc, may not function CORRECTLY.  There will always be some minor engine/chassis grounds, but how does the ground reach the negative side on the battery unless it (the engine, or negative battery cable) has a chassis ground strap?  Electricity operates on a circuit.  If there isn't a good way to complete the circuit, things won't work right, or at all.  A ground strap is an *excellent* idea, and they're only a couple of bucks from Pep Boys or Kragen.
:popcrn:

BLK 68 R/T

Soooo......does that mean you fixed the problem or what?

tiki

anybody use these grounding straps (wire vs straps) :cheers:

70 sublime

In the second picture of the straps there are some narrow ones shown

Factory the Charger should have had a strap like that narrow one from the firewall to a bolt at the back of the intake

On my last Charger I had the strap from the firewall to the back of the motor
The main neg cable from the battery to the front of the motor
Smaller wire off the neg cable to the rad support to make sure I had a good ground for the head lights

tiki

Thats some good info i dont think i have the ground to chassis off the - battery cable it just goes right to the block... :Twocents:

BLK 68 R/T

That's the way they were prior to '70. The addition ground pigtail was not part of the negative cable in '69. That said, adding one cannot hurt. As mentioned there should be a ground wire from the rear passenger head to the firewall. Just bolting them on probably won't yield satisfactory results, you need to clean the surface to bare metal. That's why the factory ground wires have engine paint on them on correctly restored engines. They were attached prior to paint.

tiki

my engine compartment was painted jet black just before we put the motor in ill just grind a lil paint off attach and touch up...as far as the -cable i must of got the correct one w/no pigtale where i wish i would got one w/a pigtale to ground the chassis (thats a point for me) :yesnod:

tiki

I learned a very valuable lesson with after market design starters,in my situation using a high performance forged crankshaft (on my stroker) moves the flywheel back ever so slightly,in turn the after market starters dont have the bendix throw that the original starters do 3/16 different.The Bendix on the aftermarket starter was just falling short,when i say the original starter just fit around the headers its about 1/4 away,i have to purchase a blanket for the solenoid.It feels good to put this to rest and move on to washing and waxing :Twocents: