News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel gauge sending units

Started by 66FBCharger, August 03, 2017, 05:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

Is there anyone who fixes original fuel gauge sending units. My original sending units resistor is damaged. Is there someone that fixes these or even takes a 5/16 Chrysler fuel gauge sending unit and puts the resistor onto my original 3/8" unit?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

BLK 68 R/T

Maybe check with JS Restorations.

Petebell68

Tristarradiator.com
I sent an inquiry to them and response was quick and courteous .
I have not had them do work but was given their name by Tony,s .
If some one was to actually make a repop that worked actually they would corner the market as we all know no
Repops  read accurately

Pete

Ghoste

Its still amazing to me that no one has worked to correct them.  All it would take is to change that one part.  (as I understand it)

Petebell68

Just the ohms readings are off for the three levels I'm going to figure it out one day .

Ghoste

My admittedly limited understanding of it though is the reason your ohm readings are off is because of the taper they use in that variable resistor.  If thats true, substituting that single part would cure the problem would it not?

Dino

Yes it would. When I needed a bigger sender I replaced the linear resistor of the repro unit with the old resistor.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

In hindsight we might have been better off just asking for aftermarket fuel gauges to agree with the GM-based sending units.  

Today we have repro '69 grille plastic, FFS.  We are still waiting for these sending units to be done right.

Ghoste

And it isn't just us, it's the entire old Mopar hobby.

Mike DC

I've had some 1990s Dakotas that never kept a fuel gauge more than a year. 

Fuel gauges are one of those things, like flip-up headlights, and power windows . . . the industry simply refuses to put enough quality into them.