News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger Taillight Bezel ?

Started by sstcuda, August 07, 2017, 02:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sstcuda

I started restoring the tail lights in my 68 Charger and ordered a new set of bezels from Year One and was surprised when they came that they didn't have the black around the ribbed barrel on the bezel. At the same time I ordered some rattle cans from Tottaly Auto of Satin black and silver to paint the housings.  So my question is I assume the bezels are painted the same satin black. Also is it best to rough up the chrome to get the best paint adhesion.

Has anyone else done anything similar and done it any different??

Thanks in advance

Lennard

The round bezels around the tail light lenses are all chrome except for a thin black circle on the front.

sstcuda

The part I meant is behind that basically where it attaches to the housing. Between the chrome ring on the front and the housing.

Lennard

I'm confused.  :scratchchin:  Between the chrome bezel and the housing is the red plastic taillight lens. The satin black on the taillight housing is paint and not a separate item.
One taillight consists of:
1 housing
2 chrome bezels
2 red lenses
1 white back up lens
3 lens gaskets

68ChargerJMP

He's talking about the ribbed pieces that the lenses and ring are attached to.

68ChargerJMP

I think you covered that in your answer but I believe that is what he's referring to.

sstcuda

My original compared to the Year One.

Lennard

That is not factory paint. The bezels are completely chrome from the factory. The one on the right side in your picture is correct and ready to mount on to the housing as is.

sstcuda

Thanks...... that's strange the car has been in the family since 72' so I guess my father bought it that way.

Lennard

Quote from: sstcuda on August 07, 2017, 11:24:47 PM
Thanks...... that's strange the car has been in the family since 72' so I guess my father bought it that way.
:thumbs:

Troy

These are one of my original sets.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68RT440

My originals look just like Troy's above. The ribbed part is painted a flat aluminum color...
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

Lennard

I have 3 sets of taillights and the bezels are all chrome.  The ribbed part is just dull chrome. No paint on mine.

68ChargerJMP

My originals are the dull aluminum color as well.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68 RT

Mine are the dull aluminum as well, and some extras I have are too.

sstcuda

Ok so the consensus seems to be a dull silver, does anyone know the correct color to use ??