News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DAYTONA-SUPERBIRD TRUNK WEATHER STRIPS FACTORY AND NOS QUESTIONS?

Started by Mopar John, August 07, 2017, 05:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on August 13, 2017, 10:05:03 PM
Just to clarify. The NOS trunk weatherstripping I saw was in an old period correct Mopar bag with the correct part number and part description preprinted on the bag like any genuine Mopar issued part from the late 60s. I looked up the part number and it was for a 69 Plymouth C body. That is the one that did not have any numbers on it but it was otherwise identical in shape and material to any of those that did have the number. I don't believe the seller found a non Mopar part and inserted it into a 100% correct bag. The reason I say this is because he only wanted $100.00 for it. He also had two NOS ones that I did buy. One was for a 69 Dart and the other one was for a 69 Barracuda. They both have the part number molded into the rubber. Those two are not as nice because they are each in a sleeve similar to what a V belt would be in. They have shelf wear. Each of the sleeves has the correct part number preprinted on them. At only $100.00 each I couldn't pass them up. I'm hoping I can get enough good sections between the two of them to make what I need. I can guarantee you that at least some of the NOS replacement trunk weatherstripps with the correct non superseded part number did NOT have a part number or logo on them. The real question is whether or not any assembly line trunk weatherstripps on 69 B body's were void of any numbers or logos.

Too bad you didn't buy the Fury strip...   I would have liked to see it.  
I don't believe ANY MoPars would have a trunk seal without the part number/Pentastar from the factory.  
I still say - we all need to see all original cars, and not just Chargers, to see what they all have. All it would take is ONE to not have a number/Pentastar and our thinking will have to change on this subject.  
Until that happens, numbers are the way it is.

On a similar subject, the seals are made in such a way that there is are 'overhang' areas that corresponds to each model and the different part numbers, along with the different lengths required to install them.  
Can you post a few pics of those areas on the seals you have?  
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on August 13, 2017, 12:00:25 PM

In the 80s, tons of clear plastic MoPar bags in various sizes surfaced in the Detroit area from the Centerline Parts Depot.
Guys were selling them by the pile to anybody at the Nats.
Wouldn't take much to stuff a part in the right sized bag and write the part number with a drymarker on the taped or stapled closed bag.      :Twocents:

A seal found today from Motor City Originals (1980's) could easily be mistaken for NOS.   

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on August 14, 2017, 08:53:35 AM

In the 80s, tons of clear plastic MoPar bags in various sizes surfaced in the Detroit area from the Centerline Parts Depot.
Wouldn't take much to stuff a part in the right sized bag and write the part number with a drymarker on the taped or stapled closed bag.      :Twocents:

A seal found today from Motor City Originals (1980's) could easily be mistaken for NOS.   

Ah yes!   Didn't they crank them out off the original tooling?  (minus numbers and logos, of course, so they didn't get sued...) 

Good remembering Doug. 

69hemidaytona

But they would have to find an original bag to put it in or they would have to have one of those made up as well. I don't think anybody would do that only to then offer to sell the part and bag for $100.00. It wouldn't be worth the effort.

odcics2

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on August 14, 2017, 09:56:02 PM

But they would have to find an original bag to put it in or they would have to have one of those made up as well. I don't think anybody would do that only to then offer to sell the part and bag for $100.00. It wouldn't be worth the effort.

You didn't have the heart to tell him he undercharged you?   :lol:

69hemidaytona

I'm not sure yet if he under charged me. I haven't had a chance to clean the weather stripping up to see if I can piece together a usable item. I did go ahead and buy the really nice nos trunk weather stripping that does not have any numbers on it. I will photograph it once it arrives.

69hemidaytona

Here are some photos of the NOS Plymouth trunk weatherstrip.  It has no part numbers or Pentastar on it. Incidentally I was in a Mopar junkyard last week and I looked at six different 1969 B body trunk weatherstrips. Five of them had the part number and Pentastar on them and one had a different number and a much larger Pentastar on it.

odcics2

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on August 28, 2017, 07:52:00 PM
Here are some photos of the NOS Plymouth trunk weatherstrip.  It has no part numbers or Pentastar on it. Incidentally I was in a Mopar junkyard last week and I looked at six different 1969 B body trunk weatherstrips. Five of them had the part number and Pentastar on them and one had a different number and a much larger Pentastar on it.

Post up some of the pics, especially the larger Pentastar version.

69hemidaytona

odcics2

69hemidaytona

Thanks oddics. I emailed you photos of the Plymouth weatherstrip and its original package. I didn't take any photos of the junkyard weatherstripps.

odcics2

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on August 29, 2017, 12:52:38 PM
Thanks oddics. I emailed you photos of the Plymouth weatherstrip and its original package. I didn't take any photos of the junkyard weatherstripps.

Your pics...