News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear gear oil

Started by 68restoration, August 09, 2017, 05:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68restoration

Wanting to check the gear oil in the rearend on this 68 charger i'm working on.Its a single traction rear. Are these like most other rearends were you just remove the large plug on the side and stick your pinky finger in the hole, and if the fluid touches your finger, its ok ?

BLK 68 R/T

Yes, factory spec is level to 1/2 inch below the hole on the 8 3/4 and Dana 60.

68restoration

Dino

Small hijack here...

I pulled the axles on mine and after sitting in the closed garage overnight, the old oil sitting in the tubes is really stinky. Is there an easy way to get the old oil out without cracking the seal and should I flush with something before refill?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: Dino on August 10, 2017, 07:46:03 AM
Small hijack here...

I pulled the axles on mine and after sitting in the closed garage overnight, the old oil sitting in the tubes is really stinky. Is there an easy way to get the old oil out without cracking the seal and should I flush with something before refill?

Easiest way is to just suck it out through the fill plug with a hand pump. As far as flushing it, I would just fill it with new oil and run it for a while and drain/refill again. Examine the oil you suck out and see how much crud is in it and maybe another drain/refill would be warranted depending on what you find. Also don't forget to add sure grip additive as applicable to the oil.

Dino

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on August 10, 2017, 10:06:12 AM
Quote from: Dino on August 10, 2017, 07:46:03 AM
Small hijack here...

Easiest way is to just suck it out through the fill plug with a hand pump. As far as flushing it, I would just fill it with new oil and run it for a while and drain/refill again. Examine the oil you suck out and see how much crud is in it and maybe another drain/refill would be warranted depending on what you find. Also don't forget to add sure grip additive as applicable to the oil.

Great thanks!   :cheers:

No sure grip here.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

John_Kunkel

People think I'm nuts but when I want to drain an 8 3/4" I drill a 3/16" pilot hole in the bottom of the housing about an inch off center and let it drain. After in drains thoroughly, I enlarge the hole and tap it to 1/8" NPT and install a socket head plug. I coat the drill with heavy grease to trap the drill shavings.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

alfaitalia

Good idea. On my Jeep the PO had fitted a dif cover with a drain plug...made my life a lot easier. I'm not sensitive to smells of most types...but diff oil is the exception.....a truly horrible smell, even when new! I use disposable gloves and get rid of the old stuff as soon as possible. I find that if I get even a tiny bit on my hands I can smell it for days after!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Bronzedodge

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 10, 2017, 01:52:20 PM

People think I'm nuts but when I want to drain an 8 3/4" I drill a 3/16" pilot hole in the bottom of the housing about an inch off center and let it drain. After in drains thoroughly, I enlarge the hole and tap it to 1/8" NPT and install a socket head plug. I coat the drill with heavy grease to trap the drill shavings.

That's perfect.  An 1/8" plug has enough threads per inch to be secure in the (relatively) thin housing.

M B   (pipe guy)
Mopar forever!

BLK 68 R/T

I like the idea as well  :cheers:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 10, 2017, 01:52:20 PM

Excellent idea.

Can you post a picture of where exactly you placed the hole/plug ?

Would it be damaged by a floor jack placed under the housing?